Attorney Thinking of Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docswife

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a '97 law school grad, and after several unsatisfying years as a large law firm associate (corporate transactions), I am taking some time off from the practice of law to consider other options, whether to stick with it or leave the law entirely.

My husband is an ER doc and I have become increasingly interested in med school. I know its a long haul, but I would rather find something fulfilling than waste my career in a profession I don't enjoy. Being a doctor seems like it would be so rewarding and exciting! (depending on the specialty, of course).

I was an English major in undergrad, so I need all the science courses. There's no post-bac program in my state (Colorado) and I'm thinking of going to CU part-time to see how I do in the science courses.

Is anyone else out there a disgruntled professional who is thinking of med school? I haven't taken any science or math classes since high school and I'm a little nervous about it. Can any humanities people offer any insight or encouragement??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey fellow-career changer! I think you are in a larger crowd than you know of. I am currently a graduate architect in the midst of my licensing exams (9 over 9 months) to finally get able to do my job. I even spent 7 years getting my bachelors and masters just so I could meet the base level education requirements - and then 3 years of apprenticeship. So what's that all mean - next fall I head off to the Interservice Physician Assistant Program to get trained as a PA. Not quite med school, but to all intents and purposes it covers the same areas. Why am I doing this? Not tired of architecture - kind of a magical career - your draw things and people actual build them - and they will last way longer than I will. Will I be happier in medicine? Perhaps - at least as happy - I'm a flight medic with the military and have grown to love emergince medicine. So - a new challange, better pay, similar levels of attraction, plus I'm older and more experienced - hard to make decesions when your 18 that will guide the rest of your life. Plus now I will have a really in depth knowledge of my hobby!
biggrin.gif

Anyhow - good luck, set your goals, make a plan to meet those goals and go do it!

You get one ride on the big wheel of life. If you don't do what fulfills you, you will have a miserable ride. Make the most of your life and dreams. Its fun!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need a post bac program.
Make an appointment immediately with the preprofessional advisor at U. Colorado, Denver.

Dr. Charles Ferguson
Dept of Biology
PO Box 173364
Campus Box 171

556 4350

[email protected]

You won't be the first lawyer to go to medical school.

The bias you will face is the fear that you will turn around and do malpractice law against physicians. So this will be your stumbling block. take that into consideration when you interview and try not to appear to defensive about it.

All the best,
Steph

I am an attorney applying to medical school (CU, as a matter of fact). I took my sciences before going to law school so I didn't have that hurdle to get over. A big part of a law school education is learning to think critically and analyze novel situations. It seems to me this skill would be of great help in the practice of medicine. Also, law school is not a picnic and graduating, particularly if you did well, should demonstrate your ability to succeed in graduate school. We will see if the Adcom agrees with my assessment. Good luck.

I was also an English major undergrad, and taught HS English before starting med school at UCSF this year. There's at least one former lawyer in my class this year,and I can think of at least one more in the class ahead of me...and those are just the ones I know of. There are lots of humanities types here at UCSF and at a lot of other med schools as well. So don't feel like it'll be impossible at all...but do think of ways to use your unusual background to your advantage...most importantly, be aware that you will need to demonstrate to admissions committees/interviewers that medicine is not "just another whim" -- they need to know that you're not going to change careers again after they accept you. My best interviews were the ones in which I was able to show that everything I had done previously was, in a way, leading up to med school. Which was certainly debateable, but as with any job/grad school application, it's all about making a good story that demonstrates all the very best/unique qualities you have to offer. Best of luck!