JoltinJoe

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
Can someone from these schools tell me if you have lost any students because of personal or academic reasons yet this year? I've got a friend who told me of the "big 3", NSU loses the most. Have you had anyone leave there or in either of the other 2 schools? These are the 3 that I most am interested in. Thanks.

turkdlit

Superstar DJ
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
JoltinJoe said:
Any help here would be appreciated. :)
I imagine a few are going to leave our class of 2008 here at NSU after this year, b/c of the attendance policy. While some people have gripes over the program, the main reason why some students will leave is b/c of atendance. There has been a lot of talk about transferring to other schools amongst my classmates, and hopefully it will turn some administrative heads.

After the 1st semester of this year, we lost 2 1st year students I believe (although I don't know why). It should be more than that when the year is over. I can't speak for CCOM or PCOM

discover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Status
Good Question! I was actually wandering this myself. I haven’t come up with much but heres what I have. Generally speaking Med Schools don’t have a very high attrition rates with the exception of the caribean ones10-30%.

As far as the schools you’ve mentioned I would guess that their total attrition rates would be 3-5%. I’m not sure if NSU has a higher one but I think it would depend on the students in the class and even a few students failing or quitting would change the percentages. I haven’t heard that NSU is especially competitive or has a killer academic attrition rate. As far as academics I’ve heard that CCOM has one of the harder academic schedules, but Im not sure if this translates into a high attrition rate. One last thing….I’ve also heard that Western-comp has one of the higher (relatively speaking) academic attrition rates.

That’s really all I know, if anyone knows more please add or if anyone knows of any published attrition rates. I am especially interested in knowing about NSU as well. Thanks.

Echinoidea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2003
Fangorn Forest
Visit site
Status
Can you elaborate on the attendance issue? I go to a school with no attendance policy (thank god) and I'm curious as to how intrusive NSU and LECOM are in verifying attendance.

How do they know you are there? A sign in sheet?

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Echinoidea said:
Can you elaborate on the attendance issue? I go to a school with no attendance policy (thank god) and I'm curious as to how intrusive NSU and LECOM are in verifying attendance.

How do they know you are there? A sign in sheet?
They have an electronic scan in. Your id card has a smart chip in it.

or you can count the amount of classes you missed cause you can miss up to 20% with no penalites

of course...you can always scan and leave but thats more of a moral issue than anything

or have a fellow student scan you in....which never happens.... ;)

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
turkdlit said:
I imagine a few are going to leave our class of 2008 here at NSU after this year, b/c of the attendance policy. While some people have gripes over the program, the main reason why some students will leave is b/c of atendance. There has been a lot of talk about transferring to other schools amongst my classmates, and hopefully it will turn some administrative heads.

After the 1st semester of this year, we lost 2 1st year students I believe (although I don't know why). It should be more than that when the year is over. I can't speak for CCOM or PCOM
One thing you need to transfer is a Dean's letter....I am intrested in seeing how many go/stay.

as for attrition I don't think there will be much here. Maybe 10-15 at MAX. Most likely 2-3 students. They want you to pass but I am sure there will be some not progressing on. I already know of a BUNCH of MBS students that didn't continue and have left the program.

Oh and I know one of those students that left wanted to go home and was accepted to michigan...she has to repeat her M1 fall semester she already did again there this fall.

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
JoltinJoe said:
Robz thanks for that information. Did she have to reapply as a 1st year or was it like a "transfer"? Why did the other student leave? Academics or other? I realize the attendance policy must be tough and annoying. Thanks to everyone who replied so far.
No idea about most of those questions.

The attendance policy is a bit annoying to a few people not so much me. (on a whole but I don't agree with it either..for multiple reasons)

for me...the most annoying thing is forgetting my id. True there is a form you can fill out and it counts as attendance for the day but I get irked at myself when I leave it at home. For the most part I'm fine with it. I am a lecture learner and I pay a lot so I am going to go to class. Of course with some classes (ala public health and I have a MPH) I will read virology, neuro, or whatever is my test for that monday. If I have to I'll miss class. There are ways around some things but you always run the risk of getting "caught" but I'm not worried about that anyways.

discover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Status
Robz said:
No idea about most of those questions.

The attendance policy is a bit annoying to a few people not so much me. (on a whole but I don't agree with it either..for multiple reasons)

for me...the most annoying thing is forgetting my id. True there is a form you can fill out and it counts as attendance for the day but I get irked at myself when I leave it at home. For the most part I'm fine with it. I am a lecture learner and I pay a lot so I am going to go to class. Of course with some classes (ala public health and I have a MPH) I will read virology, neuro, or whatever is my test for that monday. If I have to I'll miss class. There are ways around some things but you always run the risk of getting "caught" but I'm not worried about that anyways.

Hey Robz and other NSUers...let me ask you, how many of your classmates generally fail each class? .especially the harder ones like anatomy or physio.. What is the grade distribution like? And would you know how many are held back..Thanks...

OP
JoltinJoe

JoltinJoe

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
discover said:
Hey Robz and other NSUers...let me ask you, how many of your classmates generally fail each class? .especially the harder ones like anatomy or physio.. What is the grade distribution like? And would you know how many are held back..Thanks...
That's a good question too.