Atul Gawande

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngnflyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gawande has a new book out entitled,"Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance". I'm planning on grabbing a copy before the end of the weekend, has anyone else had a chance to read it?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive read Complications, but thats about it. This is the first thime Im hearing about this book...

Gawande has a new book out entitled,"Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance". I'm planning on grabbing a copy before the end of the weekend, has anyone else had a chance to read it?

i just read it. it's an excellent book, as was his first. given his bio i'd expect no less. though i didn't like his chapter on capital punishment and physician involvement. but overall it's extremely well written. tried to go to his most recent talk in boston but it was sold out :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
you didn't like complications? you're the only premed i've ever heard about who hasn't liked that book.

It is not a new book. It is a compilation of previous articles he wrote for newspapers like The newyorker, slate and the new England Journal of medicine. Also,the speech he delivered at Yale Med was also compiled into this new book.

Great guy anyway.

i didn't like complications, but he's a surgeon so i'll give him a second chance.
... is it becuase you did not understand the book? It takes a lot of concentration, good reading habit and critical thinking skills. My brother in middle school did not like it as well.

Good Luck!:smuggrin:

I enjoyed complications. I figured the new book was possibly a collection of articles as I'd read the one on physicians pay.

I enjoyed complications. I figured the new book was possibly a collection of articles as I'd read the one on physicians pay.

I read this on slate...a funny article btw.
The one on capital punishment is on NEJM.

... is it becuase you did not understand the book? It takes a lot of concentration, good reading habit and critical thinking skills. My brother in middle school did not like it as well.

Good Luck!:smuggrin:

In the Berkshire Hathaway annual report this year (a read i thoroughly enjoyed), Warren Buffett recounts a similar experience his partner Charlie Munger had with promoting his book, Poor Charlie's Almanack. He writes: "One hapless soul last year asked Charlie what he should do if he didn't enjoy the book. Back came a Mungerism: 'No problem - just give it to someone more intelligent.'"

p.s., why is your middle-school-aged brother reading books like that anyway - are your parents pressuring BOTH of you to become physicians? :laugh: