Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Atul Gawande

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by youngnflyy, Apr 14, 2007.

1. youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member

Pre-Medical
    Gawande has a new book out entitled,"Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance". I'm planning on grabbing a copy before the end of the weekend, has anyone else had a chance to read it?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Arc

Arc

Pre-Medical
    Ive read Complications, but thats about it. This is the first thime Im hearing about this book...

4. desidr

desidr Member

i just read it. it's an excellent book, as was his first. given his bio i'd expect no less. though i didn't like his chapter on capital punishment and physician involvement. but overall it's extremely well written. tried to go to his most recent talk in boston but it was sold out :thumbdown:

5. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus

i didn't like complications, but he's a surgeon so i'll give him a second chance.

6. mlw47

Resident [Any Field]
    you didn't like complications? you're the only premed i've ever heard about who hasn't liked that book.

7. arsenewenger

Post Doc

It is not a new book. It is a compilation of previous articles he wrote for newspapers like The newyorker, slate and the new England Journal of medicine. Also,the speech he delivered at Yale Med was also compiled into this new book.

Great guy anyway.

8. arsenewenger

Post Doc
    ... is it becuase you did not understand the book? It takes a lot of concentration, good reading habit and critical thinking skills. My brother in middle school did not like it as well.

Good Luck!:smuggrin:

9. youngnflyy

youngnflyy Member

Pre-Medical
    I enjoyed complications. I figured the new book was possibly a collection of articles as I'd read the one on physicians pay.

10. arsenewenger

Post Doc

I read this on slate...a funny article btw.
    The one on capital punishment is on NEJM.

11. lisichka

lisichka certified demonologist

12. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus

In the Berkshire Hathaway annual report this year (a read i thoroughly enjoyed), Warren Buffett recounts a similar experience his partner Charlie Munger had with promoting his book, Poor Charlie's Almanack. He writes: "One hapless soul last year asked Charlie what he should do if he didn't enjoy the book. Back came a Mungerism: 'No problem - just give it to someone more intelligent.'"

p.s., why is your middle-school-aged brother reading books like that anyway - are your parents pressuring BOTH of you to become physicians? :laugh: