1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Atul Gawande

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NCF145, Apr 24, 2007.

1. NCF145

NCF145 Not Politically Correct
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Aynsl156

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Yes!! Got it last week and finished it in a day. I loved it, though I did like Complications more.

He's actually a great guy, unlike some general surgeons, according to the urological surgery fellows. And I hear he got a McArthur recently.

4. fugazism

fugazism all things go
    7+ Year Member

he's speaking at ucsf on monday, i think im going to see him

5. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I haven't read it yet, but I do like his columns in the NY Times. Great writer. Good doctor, too, from what I understand. I highly recommend his stuff to people.

6. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    I'm going to read his books this summer when I get some time to read them. Maybe I'll take it on the plane to read on my way to India since I will have a long journey and the time on the plane will be boring except for the movies they put on.

There are so many books I want to read when I get the time. I want to read that book "how doctors think" as well.

Then there's Sanjay Gupta's books and Paul Farmer books that I want to read as well.

I think doctors like Ben Carson, Atul Gawande, and even some USF doctors I've met are often more humble then some of the private practice physicians that I've met. Its actually interesting to see the difference in how academic physicians are and every day private practice physicians are in nature.

I found that same refreshingly humble personality present in some of the neurologists I spent time shadowing as well as one of the OB/Gyns I and another student spent time shadowing.

Even Paul Farmer when he came to USF for his speech was very refreshingly down to earth compared to the doctors who I grew up around. Not saying those doctors I grew up around were bad doctors, just less approachable as people.

7. ltrain

ltrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone else annoyed that two of the chapters were already published as articles? (I remember reading them; I think in the New Yorker).

I feel like if you're going to charge 25 bucks for your hardback book it should be new stuff or you should at least note that it's not. Anyway.

8. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hes speaking at the Hopkins Med Commencement this year.

9. Pembleton

Pembleton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

10. slipperyslope

2+ Year Member

i'm reading better right now, too, and i loved complications. i think very few doctors-turned-writers can pull it off that well. there is actually only 1 other that i have truly enjoyed. have any of you read anything by abraham verghese? the tennis partner and my own country are both amazing. i get the same feeling reading his books as i do gawande's, that he just must be an amazing physician and person.

11. arsenewenger

2+ Year Member

Post Doc

wow! This guy is truly amazing.

12. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I definitely like the fact that he is not shy to talk about the limits and the problems of medicine. It's humanizing to hear him talk about things like that. You mean doctors aren't robots?!? Who knew?

In "Complications" when he talks about the ways in which we have to learn (by practicing on patients...no way out of it), it's a little worrying but at the same time you understand that this is the only way to gain experience and make new doctors.

I think more of the general public needs to hear what he has to say, and maybe then doctors wouldn't be seen as thoughtless jerks who only care about making money. We should mandate some of his readings....:laugh: maybe make them necessary to obtain a credit card or your yearly tax-refund or something.

13. MChitty

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm reading Complications right now and am loving it.

My roommates are MS-3s at Tufts and one of them during her surgery rotation actually got to work on his team once! Apparently he's super nice and so down to earth, which is pretty amazing.

I also find it amazing much people admire him. I was on the subway right after I had bought Complications and was looking at it and this woman next me starting talking to me about how she used to work with him and how amazing he is. I mean this is Boston--people do not chit chat with strangers!

14. Aynsl156

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    <hijack>

Alright, another Bostonian! Boston is pre-med-ful.

</hijack>

15. MChitty

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well what the hell else can you really do here?

16. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    You can be a lawyer like the people in The Practice. :hungover:

17. MChitty

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Man...I wish someone had told me that before I started this whole mess...

18. slipperyslope

2+ Year Member

i don't know...i made my aunt's book club (ie excuse to drink in the afternoon) read the book and they still haven't forgiven me. some people would just rather be ignorant of all the "gray areas" of medicine.

19. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Forgiven you for what? Did you accidentally cut somebody's appendage? A limb? :hungover:

I sometimes try to tell people about the "system" and just explain why it is that it took their doctor 3 hours to see them (darn paperwork and bureaucracy), but most of the time they'll just nod and forget about it, as if the doctor was purposely keeping them outside because he loves to hear them whine about it.

Urgh...

20. el aye

el aye O_o
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I read Complications over the winter. Thanks for making the thread, I didn't realize this book was out!