AUA student ask me anything (3rd semester)

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by hunchojack, Sep 24, 2018.

1. hunchojack

Whats up everyone,

I remember browsing this forum during my application process and prior to starting my first semester. At the time I thought it would be cool to come back to the forum and share my experience with anyone who is curious about AUA or maybe anxious (like I was) about staring here next semester. It's been a year since then and I'm now in my third semester.

Like I've said, I've browsed this forum from time to time and I know the reputation AUA has on here, but I'm going to try and keep it as real as possible with you guys.

All I ask is that you keep in mind anything I say will be from my perspective, that is, the perspective of a student (i.e. I don't know any of the administrative stuff going on at AUA, and I really can't speak on that)

Anyways, lets do this.

xMikeyDay likes this.
  2. Quavo

Quavo 1/3 Migos

Medical Student
    Love your name...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MedicineN'Jazz

MedicineN'Jazz calling all jazzites
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How does this school deal with failing grades? If the cutoff is a 70, what woukd happen to a person with a 69?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

How many people started with your cohort and how many started third semester

5. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

Good question. You are right, the cut off is 70 for the end of the first year (which is semesters 1 and 2).

This 'technically' means you can move from the first semester to the second semester with an average below 70 (the minimum grade is whatever would mathematically allow you to reach a 70). I have a few friends who ended up doing this and it worked out (but I would advise against it unless the person is close (67-69).

In general, if you 'passed' (70+) the first semester and failed the second, the school will likely allow you to repeat only the second semester (I know a couple people currently doing this).

Now for the bad part, if you failed in your first semester, moved on, AND STILL failed to reach a 70 in your second.. you'd have to repeat the full year.

70 is a hard cutoff so if you had 69 you would probably be out of luck (I think)... but maybe you can try to appeal it? I'm not 100% sure about this point.

This same situation applies for semester 3 and 4.

My starting cohort (I believe) was one of the largest.
    We started with around 430-460 students and by third semester we are down to around 250ish. Yikes.

I can go into the reasons why I personally believe so many people didn't pass, but I'll just say that I was not surprised by most of the people (that I knew) who failed.

Keep the questions coming guys!

6. sb247

sb247 Doer of things
    5+ Year Member

Damn. Appreciate the disclosure, OP

Stagg737, Gurby and hunchojack like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

My main criteria was if the school was accredited in all 50 states. After that it got narrowed down to a few schools which included AUA. I ended up choosing AUA because they did not require an MCAT

As for your second question I am not sure specifically but there are a bunch all over the states (I know they have a lot in NY from one of my friends who's rotating now).

#7 hunchojack, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

Thank you! :) All the best to you as well

9. SpartanWolverine

SpartanWolverine PGY1 --> Rads
    Physician Bronze Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What specialty are you interested in? Do you feel like doors are open to you?

10. LM75

LM75 Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Are you a US student? If you are then you're either lying or you are grossly misinformed because any of those "50-state accredited" schools will require you to "sit" for the MCAT as that is actually a requirement for your file and I believe it has to be disclosed during some future application process as a US-resident medical student that you completed the MCAT. I was told this by SGU admissions.

So don't say AUA doesn't require the MCAT and just leave it at that. If you meant to say that AUA doesn't use the MCAT in it's admissions decision then that is another story as well.

11. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

Nah i'm good, I'm not a US student.

I can phrase it as "AUA didn't use the MCAT in it's admissions decision" if you prefer. But regardless, I think you and almost everyone else on this board understood me the first time lol.

I've heard people gossiping (here at AUA) about what you mentioned with regards to being required to 'sit' for the MCAT but haven't heard anyone who has actually been able to substantiate this.

I suppose if it really came down to it and I really needed to write the MCAT I could spare a few hours and pop in to the local testing centre and knock that thang out one weekend. I actually might do it just for fun/curiosity

#11 hunchojack, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    sb247 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

Psych would be my top choice! I think doors are open, but undeniably less doors than US students. There are usually several people who get psych placements from my school so I'm feeling ok though

SpartanWolverine likes this.
  13. LM75

LM75 Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Why on earth would you attempt to go to AUA as a non-US student? That's like 100x worse than going to AUA in the first place.

14. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

It's cool, don't worry about me - I'll be fine.
    Good luck next year at SGU

15. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is not true. There's no requirement to take the MCAT, or report a score, at any point in the residency or medical licensing process that I know of. Every state has their own licensing, and it's possible there's a state out there that requires this, but I haven't heard of it.

Stagg737 and Moose A Moose like this.
  16. GoSpursGo

GoSpursGo Allons-y!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I've removed and edited some off-topic argumentative few posts that were unrelated to the original point of this thread. Let's please get back to the AMA and refrain from side-arguments.

17. shadowblade

Resident [Any Field]
    Schools that provide title IV federal loans are required to have their students provide MCAT scores (US permanent residents and citizens only). So that's probably the rule you are all referencing, and since he's not american it doesn't apply to him anyways.

LM75 likes this.
  18. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First, an aside... I find it interesting that you created an account a year ago... and this is your first post. Just curious, that's all.

Secondly, it's nice to have this kind of information. It's even better when it's sourced, which gives you more credibility... especially as a first time poster. I have done that for you.

A foreign graduate medical school having a post-baccalaureate/equivalent medical program must require students accepted for admission who are U.S. citizens, nationals, or eligible permanent residents to have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and to have reported their scores to the foreign graduate medical school. Foreign graduate medical schools are not required to give weight to a U.S. student’s score on the MCAT as part of its admission requirements. Schools are required to submit MCAT scores for U.S. students to its accrediting body, and to the Department upon request (see Collection and Submission of Data).

(page 3)

https://ifap.ed.gov/ForeignSchoolInfo/attachments/FSHandbookCh3.pdf
    What this means:
    1. Students going offshore to get their medical education cannot get a Federally-secured loan without taking the MCAT.
    2. You do not have to get a certain score to get that loan. You just have to have taken it.
    3. The schools have to be willing to provide proof that their students have taken the MCAT if they want to continue in the Federal loan program. For every student.
    -Skip

Gurby likes this.
  19. Caribpro

Not every student, MCAT rules for fed loans only apply to US citizens, nationals or permanent residents. OP is none of those so the MCAT rule does not apply to him/her.

All of the Carib schools have exceptions for non-US citizens and the MCAT requirement.

Also, there is NO SUCH THING AS "50 STATE ACCREDITATION."

20. shadowblade

Resident [Any Field]
    I mostly just lurk threads, haven't really had much to add. A lot of useful information on the board that I read from time to time. Residency has been keeping me busy.

Thanks for adding in the source. I figured it didn't really matter to source it since I wasn't giving anyone advice.

EDIT: Also agreed with the above. It clearly says "U.S. citizens, nationals, or eligible permanent residents". So as the OP is none of the above they don't need to have taken the MCAT.

#20 shadowblade, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  21. Skip Intro

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Must have missed the part about them not being a U.S. citizen. Of course you're right.

-Skip

22. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

My bad guys, didn't mean to mislead anyone when I said we weren't required to take the MCAT. I was basing this on my personal understanding (as a non-US citizen) and figured it applied to all students here.

When I think about it, the only people I know who didn't take the MCAT as well are all Canadians, so you guys are probably correct about requiring it if you're from the states.

23. Chondroclast

Chondroclast SGU Student

Medical Student
    I'm a US citizen and was accepted to AUA about a year and a half ago. As a US citizen, the MCAT was required, but it seemed like they didn't care at all about my score. Nevertheless, I am at SGU now. I have friends here at SGU that haven't taken the MCAT, since they're non-US citizens. Plenty of students here at SGU also do not have a bachelors degree. There's some classmates that are 19, 20 years old here in the MD program without a bachelors and MCAT, yikes!

24. LM75

LM75 Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

I'm guessing those students with no bachelors degree are foreign students?

25. Chondroclast

Chondroclast SGU Student

Medical Student
    Yes, foreign students do not need bachelors degree or MCAT

26. Stagg737

Stagg737 Illegal in all 50, Unlynchable Wolf
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for starting the thread and responding candidly OP. I think these are great sources for prospective students. My questions:

1. Do you hope to practice medicine in the US? If so, why did you choose to go to a Caribbean school over a US school?

2. Dropping from over 400 to ~250 students in 2 years sounds crazy to me. Do you feel that the school does an adequate job supporting students? Both in terms of education and personal well-being?

3. In general, what resources, facilities, or other things do you feel need to be improved at your school? Do you think anything is severely lacking?

4. Do you feel like you are being prepared adequately for board exams and clinical rotations?

5. There's a lot of doom and gloom about Carib schools on this site (much of them being legitimate concerns), so more positive question: What's the biggest plus to your school? Are you currently happy with your decision to attend AUA?

27. LM75

LM75 Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

I really don't think it's fair for a non-US Caribbean medical student to be offering "ask me anything" advice on Caribbean schools. Most of these schools, the big ones at least, are attended by US students who plan on practicing in the US. There are so many more obstacles non-US students face that their "advice" probably doesn't apply to their US counterparts.

For example, non-US students will face a host of Visa/immigration issues with a vast majority of programs; a big issue that is not an issue for US students. Secondly, STEP scores will have to be higher for non-US students if they want to stand a chance getting into a US residency. Those are all facts that I don't think anyone would argue.

So I really don't know what the point of this specific thread is unless there are a bunch of non-US students who are viewing the Caribbean forum which, from my observation, is not the case.

28. PodSchoolFan

Pre-Podiatry
    Hey, my best friend goes to AUA and I was hoping to send her a care package!! I know this is an odd question, but do you know how I could go about doing this? Are there student organizations there that do care packages for students? Thank you.

29. LM75

LM75 Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

She's a big girl now. I don't think she needs care packages at this stage. If you feel she still indeed needs care packages, your best bet would be to contact the school, NOT random people on this website who may or may not know what they are talking about or in your case know anything about AUA.

30. Caribpro

US students dont either at most of the schools. Just need to have completed the required courses and have a minimum number of hours. We had lots of students at Ross who didn't have bachelor's degrees who were US students. The US students did need the MCAT though.

31. Chondroclast

Chondroclast SGU Student

Medical Student
    I'm at SGU and my parents send me care packages and i'm not in my 20's anymore... nothing wrong with that, we all appreciate a bit of love and goodies from home.

32. Skip Intro

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So... you failed out of Ross huh? Now I think I understand the animosity.

;)

-Skip

33. NovembersVeryOwn

Medical Student
    My starting cohort (I believe) was one of the largest.
    We started with around 430-460 students and by third semester we are down to around 250ish. Yikes.

I can go into the reasons why I personally believe so many people didn't pass, but I'll just say that I was not surprised by most of the people (that I knew) who failed.

Keep the questions coming guys![/QUOTE]

Could you give a few reasons to why you think so many people didn't pass? Or pm me? I want to make sure to avoid those mistakes.

34. Factfinder007

So, I would like to know about the living and flight experiences you have. For instance, I once attended MUA on Nevis, and I can remember that little 6 or 10 person plane sucking, as well as, all of the crazy baggage fee's that I encountered after having zero with the big airliners. Furthermore, how did you find the class and the content? I left med school years ago, but recently got re-accepted after having graduated law school, so I am seeing how things might have changed, and if I would rather maybe go back to MUA or maybe AUA. Also, how do you guys handle the hurricanes? for instance, do they request you leave the island? Furthermore, where have some of the previous graduates obtained clinicals, and residencies? Also, does the school have a final comprehensive exam to leave the school and island after your matriculation there?
    Thank you for your time!

35. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

Your experience of travelling to Nevis is not like what I have experienced going to Antigua. The flights I’m on are usually “normal” sized American Airlines or Air Canada flights, similar to if I was flying to somewhere in the states or Canada.

As for the content, our exams are comprised of NBME questions. We have lectures and small group classes (of ~10-20 students) everyday. At the end of the day though, I usually find that I am teaching myself the material and using external resources.

Hurricanes are usually dealt with on a case to case bases. They may just cancel class for a few days, or they may make a decision to cancel class for and extended period of time and allow people to fly out should they choose to do so.

There is a final comprehensive exam at the end of semester 4. I’m not sure specifically about all the residencies people land but there is probably a list on the school site.

36. OP
    OP
    hunchojack

- The school is usually last resort for people who couldn’t cut it in the US or Canada, these same people may have poor study habits or a lack of focus.

- Some people treated it like a vacation, went to the beach all the time, etc.. and probably thought since the school was in the Caribbean it would be “easier”

- Some people came to the island with unrealistic expectations, and we’re not able to adapt to things, like flaky wifi,the AC not working, etc..

37. MedicineN'Jazz

MedicineN'Jazz calling all jazzites
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is actually really interesting. Our curriculum is exactly like this