Auckland University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dasha55

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I was shortlisted for a phone interview at Auckland Uni which is in 2 weeks. I was just wondering how hard it is and what's the structure to the phone interviews. There are only 5 spots for international students :( -not comforting fact, but I have to give it my best shot.
Thanks in advance for feedback

Members don't see this ad.

are you shortlisted for the sept 2006 year or jan 2006?

i think there are 2 start dates correct?

dasha55 said:
I just found out that I was shortlisted for a phone interview at Auckland Uni which is in 2 weeks. I was just wondering how hard it is and what's the structure to the phone interviews. There are only 5 spots for international students :( -not comforting fact, but I have to give it my best shot.

I'll give you a more detailed response in 2 days. But go to NZ Herald site www.nzherald.co.nz and reading health related news would be a good start.

Members don't see this ad :)
dasha55 said:

Firstly, congrats on getting an interview offer! :thumbup:
The interview will not be hard once you prepare for it. (e.g. reading up on the current health issues facing NZ population, the Maori health issue etc)
(Hint: Maori health issue and the Treaty of Waitangi is IMPORTANT!)

The interview focuses on the 5 major principles or qualities that they think a good doctor (or any doctor) should possess. These are:
-Maturity
-Communication
-Awareness(self and social) and knowledge
-career choice
-Balanced lifestyle (e.g. extracurricular activities)
Just make sure you speak CLEARLY on the phone during the interview!

I thought they offer 10 places to int'l students? but again, I can be totally wrong coz I'm not an Int'l student. I'm surprised that the interview for Int'l students are taking place so early considering the interviews for local students take place in mid-Dec. But anyway, all the best for the interview! :D

Thanks for all the help. This is my last chance this year; I ve just got my MCAT scores (22N) - horrific to say the least! :( which puts UQ, Flinders and Usyd out of the picture.
P.S. The intake is once a year (Feb).

Ahh

I put my app in a week ago and they have probably JUST recieved the supporting documents from me this week. Still early enough

Mike MacKinnon said:
Ahh

I put my app in a week ago and they have probably JUST recieved the supporting documents from me this week. Still early enough

I thought the graduate entry application for international students to Univ of Auckland closed August 31st? Atleast that's what they told me.

Ok

I just got off the phone with the admissions people and as someone else mentioned here i will clarify the app process:

1) all admissions are done for Febuary of each year. So next is feb 2006 and after that feb 2007 there isnt anything in between.

2) International students are interviewed by phone earlier so it has been gotten out of the way. Those shortlisted for interviews are in the 20% of all applicants which they interview, consider yourself lucky.

3) Decisions are made oddly. It seems some people are told as early as november and others in dec/jan. Of course the internationals are told early as they have to make arrangements to come to NZ and prepare where are locals dont.

4) The minimum GPA to even be considered for an interview is B but it is highly dependant on the applicant pool (international). If the average that year is A then anyone under that will not get interviewed. They follow GPA expectations similar to MD schools here in the USA.

In anycase, its probably harder to get into NZ than US schools but its worth a shot!

What i didnt understand was if acceptance in feb was to the 5 year program or the 6 year. As someone with a previous degree and alot of experience i would want to start as M2 and bypass their foundation year.

Mike MacKinnon said:
What i didnt understand was if acceptance in feb was to the 5 year program or the 6 year. As someone with a previous degree and alot of experience i would want to start as M2 and bypass their foundation year.

Hi Mike

What you need to understand is that there's no set 5-year programme vs. 6-year programme. There's only 1 programme - MBChB.

It is entirely reasonable that they have 2 nofitications - one in Nov/Dec and one in February. The ones in February sounds like existing AU students who are waiting for their academic results from health science year. Their results aren't available until early December. Then the med school has the difficult job of who deserves an interview, gathering the interviewers, sending out letters to interviewees, etc. That's why they get notified in February.

You can imagine that international students (esp North Americans) don't have this problem as they probably will have their GPA and grades by the time they apply. Your school year finishes in June right?

The decision between 5 year and 6 year is made, I thought, after the person gets accepted. Most people will do 5 years. Some with weak science background will be asked to do 1st year health science or biomedical science. With the change in admission policy re: school leavers, there's no 6-year programme proper, since school leavers do 1 year of health science and then in effect transfer to medical degree.

When the programme was 6 years long proper (i.e. they accepted people to medical school straight from high school) there was some problem since some students with strong science background were asked to do 1st year because they didn't have 1 paper, etc. The process was totally random and we had the laughable situation where people with exactly the same qualification were told different things. However, I'll be very surprised if this is still the case.

Good luck. We have a new dean who's an interesting guy... so it would be interesting to see what happens in next few years.

Sjkpark

thank you very much for this reply it was very informative. After talking to the admissions people I came to the conclusion in a hurry that my chances of getting in are very slim due to the gross competition for all of 10 internation slots.

In anycase, I did apply and would love to goto NZ. What really surprised me was that i would have to start for FEB if i was lucky enough to get in and i was planning on a sept 06 start (which isnt an option but i misunderstood it all togeather).

One of the worst things about applying to various programs is knowing your chances are not at all good. When i talked to the admission lady she was very impressed with my research, publications and experience as a flight nurse however, she was quick to point out my GPA (sitting at a degree GPA of 3.0 and a post degree GPA of 4.0) wasent stellar.

In anycase, ill hope for the best!

Good luck, sounds like a great opportunity :) I wish I had researched NZ earlier ...

Mike MacKinnon said:
Sjkpark

thank you very much for this reply it was very informative. After talking to the admissions people I came to the conclusion in a hurry that my chances of getting in are very slim due to the gross competition for all of 10 internation slots.

In anycase, I did apply and would love to goto NZ. What really surprised me was that i would have to start for FEB if i was lucky enough to get in and i was planning on a sept 06 start (which isnt an option but i misunderstood it all togeather).

Our school year starts in February. It won't be all too bad as weather would be fantastic around that time.

Well, have a go, since you're not going to get in at all if you don't apply!!!

Good luck

sjkpark said:
Our school year starts in February. It won't be all too bad as weather would be fantastic around that time.

Well, have a go, since you're not going to get in at all if you don't apply!!!

Good luck
Hey

So the answer came quickly :)

Programme Term Career

Bach of Med & Bach of Surgery 2006 First Semester Formal Award
This Application is: Deny
Programme Status: Cancelled
Academic Plan: Medicine and Surgery

I did not expect to get in and so it wasent a surprise. Thinking, origionally, that the semester started in sept i would have been more competitive but at this point i dont think im anywhere near where i need to be in order to compete for 10 slots.

Oddly, even expecting to be denied, it stung a bit. Ah well.

Good Luck all who apply and get in!

Members don't see this ad :)
heheh dervish, i DIDNT get in :) Its ok, i knew i wouldnt but since the app is free and nothing is lost by doing it i thought i would try!

Nothing ventured nothing gained

Oops, sorry bout that :( Good luck finding a new school in a place you love, then :)

ay, don't lose heart, best of luck if you decide to stick with it for another round next year... and if you decide 'screw all these type-a nutjobs i'm getting a real job' best of luck there too! what do you reckon?

banana k said:
ay, don't lose heart, best of luck if you decide to stick with it for another round next year... and if you decide 'screw all these type-a nutjobs i'm getting a real job' best of luck there too! what do you reckon?
Hey banana

Thanks for the support! Well Ive been a flight RN for sometime now so job wise, im doing well. I will still goto medical school, I just have to wait another year and either go here in the USA. I found out about 10 minutes ago i was also supposed to take the medical admissions test for Auckland as well (GASMAT?) but i totally missed that in the app process. That ruled me out right away.

Ah well, i had expected not to go until 2007/2008 anyway!

Have a good one!

Sorry to hear that Mike. I'm sure everything will turn out for the best! Good luck!

Hey guys...

I dont think the international applicants to Auckland need to take the UMAT or GAMSAT(only for graduate entry Oz schools) ?

Please correct me if I am mistaken?

Hey macguyver

What they told me on the phone was that in order to get into the foundation year (the 1st of the 6) I would have to take the UMAT. In order to enter the graduate year (2 of 6 or 1st of 5 depending on how you look at it) I would have to have taken the GAMSAT. It says that on the webpage but it is well buried as there is an expectation people know that.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey macguyver

What they told me on the phone was that in order to get into the foundation year (the 1st of the 6) I would have to take the UMAT. In order to enter the graduate year (2 of 6 or 1st of 5 depending on how you look at it) I would have to have taken the GAMSAT. It says that on the webpage but it is well buried as there is an expectation people know that.

For Auckland as an international student, you don't need to have the exams (GAMSAT or UMAT) written. That's one of the things I really liked about the school! I 've applied, got the interview scheduled, now is just a matter of time. Also, as far as I understood - it's not up to me to decide which year to enter ( i.e. 1 or 2); admission commitee decides that based on the academic background.

Hmm

Well seems I have some people telling me 2 different things. The admission fellow yesterday told me I was denied because of not writing the GASMAT. I called again today because of what dasha mentioned, and they said I didnt have to write it and they couldnt tell by looking at my app why i wasent interviewed. So now i guess to find out why i was denied i have to call on tuesday when the internation office is back open.

Sheesh :p

Hey guys...

I was wondering when the offers/rejections get sent out from Auckland, anyone know when the international students get news?

How were the interviews, positive/negative feedback?

dasha55 said:
For Auckland as an international student, you don't need to have the exams (GAMSAT or UMAT) written. That's one of the things I really liked about the school! I 've applied, got the interview scheduled, now is just a matter of time. Also, as far as I understood - it's not up to me to decide which year to enter ( i.e. 1 or 2); admission commitee decides that based on the academic background.

Dasha55,
Congrats on getting the interview. I'm trying to assess my chances for when I apply next year, so I was wondering what your GPA was. Did you do any grad school? My GPA for all undergrad courses was 3.38, so I'm worried it might be too low. My MCAT was alright (32 O), would they take that into consideration, even if they don't require it?
Good luck on the interview!