Audio Osmosis Review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anyone out there feel like that audio osmosis significantly helped them? Obviously they won't do jack without learning everything ahead of time through review books and classes...but I was wondering if anyone really liked them? I was debating getting them and loading them on my MP3 to listen to during down time..the price sucks though!

Members don't see this ad.

It's okay. It forced me to visualize what was going on in some instances, which is good. I think if you can learn by listening it may be worth it. Still, at its current price, I just can't recommend it. $200 is FAR too much money. For that much, you should buy more practice tests.

I hardly used my copy because I felt that I got more yield out of practice problems and practice exams. If you own a set of review books (I liked Examkrackers) and are able to understand concepts, then in my opinion the audio osmosis is not as useful because you're better off doing practice tests.

If you have a ton of time to prepare and you have money lying around that you wouldn't mind spending, then go for it.

If you drive a lot, walk around campus a lot, work at a lab where you can listen to something for a while, or take public transportation somewhere, it's def. makes you more productive and keep you in the mcat zone.

I wouldn't buy it new. There are ways to get it cheaper I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the title states, how good is it, is it worth listening to it, since my friend told me he can lend me it (he bought it)

Audio Osmosis is okay...the material is decent, but the jokes and sound effects (which are designed to break the material up and make it easier listening) are really distracting. I fast forward through any jokes/sound effects that I know are coming up.

Amazon.com sells the full set for something like $130...this is a bit better than the $200 EK wants on their website. I tried buying it used off of eBay and ran into issues (i.e. pirated copies and blank CDs).

I think the set works pretty well. It gives you the material in a different format, and repeated listening to the same minute long track can force some otherwise hard to recall information into your brain :thumbup:.

Alaska21, whether they helped other people or not, I plan on buying them. I will be commuting 1 hour to school and 1 hour home, fives days a week. Something is bound to stick, eh? :]

I ordered from amazon 2 days ago actually. I plan on using them in my research lab...I sit there like 2-3 hours a day working on culture plates so I'm going to play them in there on my iPod or something :)

Lemme just give a straight up review....It is WACK. All they do is restate what is in the Examkrackers book and maybe just a LITTLE bit more on somethings but it is definately not worth it. It seems to me as if Examkrackers just was looking to find another way of making some easy cash. "Hmmm... let me think about this Examkrackers team. How about we have 2 guys repeat everything we have written in our books and sell it for $200!" says Jonathan Orsay. lol

Can anyone speak to whether or not this is a comprehensive review of everything you need to know for the MCAT like they claim it is? Are there major concepts I need to know for the MCAT which aren't on the audio? If it's comprehensive, then for me I don't think it's that bad of an investment since I like to learn things via audio while I'm driving and at the gym.

They review important concepts fairly well. I have a fairly lengthy commute (which was actually much longer over the summer), so AO on my iPod was quite helpful, especially on loop.

i used it religiously but my bio score was still average. i got a 10. i think it might not be as useful as it is advertise. or perhaps, it is only as useful as effectively as you can use it.

It's just an overpriced supplement. Physics is obviously useless but the Bio portion is certainly a nice way of pulling everything together and calming you down before the exam. Maybe that's the best thing about it - it sort of puts you at ease and makes the whole MCAT experience a little less daunting and scary.

I have it now and it's ok...not going to help me at all honestly. It goes to slow for one thing...and the detail is not good enough imo. I don't know its ok but I regret spending money on it..not worth more than like 40 bucks

I honestly wouldn't recommend it. I had it but didn't use it much. There are a couple of mistakes, but since I didn't listen to the entire set, I can't say if there's more than a couple. It helps though if you're in the car or something. But then if you are in the car, why are you studying and not focusing on where you're driving? Accidents can happen that way :rolleyes:

I find it marginally useful.

But i'm not especially audio oriented. For instance my wife is talking to me right now and I haven't heard a word she said for the last 20 min.

If your like me then it will not be worth your money. I bought it used though and when riding the bus, trying to take my mind off the wet farty smell of people crammed into a small space, I find I can actually pay attention.

And so it keeps me in the "MCAT Zone" as the other poster said. So for long commuters, it will be worth it.

Also, as a stand-up comedy fanatic, I would like to say that these guys suck at jokes. Which makes normally dry material that much more tiring.

I completely agree with all previous comments. The jokes are bad and incredibly distracting, it's not worth more than 40-50 dollars and unless you're planning on using it for commuting, then your money is better spent buying practice tests. I couldn't manage to listen to more than 20 minutes before shutting it off (the two guys talking and joking are so annoying you'd rather just pick up a book and study). If you really want to go the audio route, I thought audiolearn was better. It's cheaper, although there were fewer cds so probably less information is covered, and for commutes it was decent enough to summarize main points. Both are straight out repitition of information covered in prep books though.