Audio Osmosis...worth the money?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eg77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to get your guys' opinion on the effectiveness of EK's Audio osmosis. Any experience with it?!? Good or bad...would love to hear opinions. A friend is selling it for $60 trying to decide if it'll be helpful in reviewing.
Also is this the only type of product out in Audio format?

thx in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's worth it, especially at $60. Despite the errors, it still does a good job at helping you understand the material. I wouldn't depend only on it, but it's a great supplement. It's like your absorbing information by reading, writing (if you take notes), and listening. So you're hitting all the major areas. Also, some people might not realize how helpful listening to material is to them. I was certainly surprised. I began to visualize the concepts in my head since I didn't have a book in front of me. Helps to internalize the info.

a really good friend of mine already in med school got audio osmosis on some free download site. (Sorry I'm behind in the times and forget which one...I just use itunes) He burned it for me and I say it really helped! At the time I was in New Orleans and had to do a lot of driving so I could actually study while on the road. Kind of cheesy the humor, but yeah it works. You have to listen to it a few times for it to really sink in.

I think it drills in the concepts very well, but its a little outdated (2002), and judging from the posts from recent test takers the MCAT is changing, but I will see come september

Members don't see this ad :)
I listened to it after I finished all my studying just to get the big picture and drive some points home.

I found it really boring, and would just zone out. If you can focus on what they are saying I guess it would be helpful.

I found it really boring, and would just zone out. If you can focus on what they are saying I guess it would be helpful.

I second this, if you're not an auditory learner, don't waste your money.. As soon as the two VERY corny narrators started talking my mind went elsewhere.

Don't listen to the people who're saying it's not worth it. For $60, it could very well be worth it depending on how you apply it, as with everything else in your MCAT studying. If you have to drive anywhere ever, which do you think is more beneficial, listening to your Britney Spears or listening to MCAT material. If you ever walk around a lot with your iPod, again, Britney Spears or MCAT?

Even if you do listen to it, you have to do a lot more than listen, and even a lot more than pay close attention. To get the most out of audio osmosis, use it as a study guide where you study in your head as you listen. So do not use it as a first step, use it after you've studied the associated material, and use the pause and rewind buttons a lot. I would tortuously listen through audio osmosis not because the mp3's were long, but because I frequently paused and thought through the concepts being discussed in my head. I'd jot down quick notes on my hand or a piece of paper about anything that I was wondering. I just thought MCAT for a long time I guess.

i just got audio osmosis a few weeks ago and i think its good. a couple of days after going over a lecture i listen to the audio version in the car and it really helps me get a stronger grasp on the main concepts. listening to it also helps me gain confidence because after reading the lecture you pretty much can guess what they are going to say (and i think this is a VERY good thing because it shows that you know the material).