Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Audio study aids

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by DogFaceMedic, Jan 3, 2009.

1. DogFaceMedic

DogFaceMedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm on the road a lot and like audio studying.
    What works for EM boards, Step 3, and EM in general?
    I liked Goljan for step 1 & 2, but the Rapid Recall audio is just reading from the book and does not work for me. I'm cheap, too.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bulgethetwine

bulgethetwine Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

EM Rap and EM Abstracts are both available on the ACEP website, and I *think* it's free if you're a dues-paying student member. I know the residents get it for free. EM Abstracts is good if you're on the road and use MP3s because each abstract (2-3 min each) is a 'track' so it's easy to resume between journeys. For some reason, my monthly EM Rap episode is one long session, so it's tougher to just resume.

I don't have any financial connection to either of them, by the way, lest someone think this is a shameless plug for my bank account ;)

4. Jarabacoa

Jarabacoa non carborundum ilegitemi
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I listen to EM audio digest. They are lectures, and in general, are pretty good to listen to.

5. Speed Racer

2+ Year Member

I love listening to the EMRAP but I question how good of a tool it is for resident education/board prep as half the time the lectures are about how what we think we know if 100% wrong and considering how I don't even know what we think we know, I think I need to go learn what is wrong somewhere else.

I would appreciate more input here as I love audio learning as well.

6. DogFaceMedic

DogFaceMedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks.
    Beside the convenience of audio, do you like it and helpful for practice?

7. bulgethetwine

bulgethetwine Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

I do. EM Abstracts moreso, to me. Even when the articles are reviewed precisely because they're NOT good studies, the segments end up being useful due to a number of factors -- leads to a discussion about what we do/don't do for a given clinical question, might have a good learning pearl about study design and literature interpretation... so you can imagine that the articles that are strong -- perhaps new 'landmark papers' -- are all that and more.

EM Rap is very useful clinically, maybe less so for board prep as the other poster mentioned. The downside of EM Rap as a review tool is they usually focus on a fairly narrow number of topics per month. There will be 2-4 lectures on specific topics; Whereas, EM Abstracts, by result of sheer volume (reviewing 40 papers a month) you really hit all the major systems, themes, clinical controversies more often over the span of, say, 6 months.

Again, none of these are comprehensive review sources. I just like them to change up the pace from more didactic type review that one might do for CME, or from reading the text 'bibles'. And, they're kind of entertaining in their styles, too, which makes the drive go quicker :)

8. Rugby MD

Rugby MD Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Albany Med has podcasts available of their grand rounds and has a separate EMS podcast available. Ive listened to a few of them, most that I have listened to are really high quality, interesting lectures that are easy to listen to. 40-60 minutes each. Its worth the subscription.