Audiology and Speech Combo Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people have you heard of holding a Speech Pathology and AuD degree? Im currently enrolled in Speech classes, and thinking about continuing on for my AuD?

How valuable is it to hold both degrees? Is it worth the time and money? Like to know any info you may have?

Members don't see this ad.

Holding dual certification is becoming less common nowadays. You can search ASHA's website for more info, i believe in the Omnibus poll. Back when the masters was the entry-level for audiology, it was more practical to become dual-certified. In fact, one could get a masters in either SLP or Aud and then continue on to the PhD and in the process complete the required coursework and clinicals for the other discipline. Like I said, ASHA should have some statistics to answer your question. However, if I were to guess, you could probably make another 5 to 10 k on top of your base salary for being dual certified but that depends entirely on your work setting. Like I said, dual certification used to be more common but is lessening due to the transition to the AuD. Is it useful? I think it could be in some cases (APD, pediatric/educational setting, cochlear implants) but futile in others (vestibular, tinnitus, dysphagia). Another good combination would be to get your PhD in clinical psychology. If your interest is in Aphasia or Epilepsy, maybe neuropsych would be a good path. If fluency strikes a chord with you then maybe counseling psychology is the way to go. If the educational setting is your interest then school psychology could be a good option. Neuropsychs make about 90 k so that would be a big boost in income; however, school psych would not boost your income at all. Your interests and desires are the most important thing that influence your decision; however, it would be foolish not to consider the financial cost-to-benefit analysis.

Thanks for the reply....anyone else have anything else? Any more certifications that can boost income?

There's a huge need for teachers of the deaf, especially auditory-oral teachers. Can you find more info at www.oraldeafed.org. Most of the graduate programs offer full scholarships. I'm not sure how much it will boost your income, but it's often overlooked as an option.