Audit OMT course at DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nylesor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD resident looking to do my area of concentration in OMT (half my program is DO and I was originally going to go to an osteopathic medical school, but decided to go to the military medical school - which is MD - which made more sense career wise for me. However, still interested in learning some OMT). Anyway, is there anyway I can audit some OMT classes at the local osteopathic medical school? Called the admissions office, but I think they didn't quite understand why a doctor wanted to go back to medical school. I need about 200 hours anyway of CME or electives in my AOC too and figured might as well take the course if it fits in my residency schedule. Tried to look up some quality OMT CME or seminars geared toward MD's, but no luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't Harvard offer something like this? I may just be an idiot but I think I remember coming across it in these boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you looking to simply learn OMM or to take something that would officially show that you learned OMM? Or is it simply because you need CME and wouldn't mind if OMM fits the bill, but wouldn't do so otherwise? In this sense then I'm guessing that's why you'd look for something more organized and official than just learning it on the fly.

If above all you're wanting to learn it, there are a few books that could be recommended. That in conjunction with being in a dually accredited residency (FP? May be kind of tough if it's something else) you would have decent mentors to bring you up to speed.

If you're wanting to audit the course, contact the OMM department. The admissions office anywhere would be somewhat clueless. I'd contact the head of the department and they would really be best to point you in the right direction and I'd guess would be pretty excited about an MD wanting to learn that they may take an interest in helping you someway. That's not to say that anything would necessarily work out, just that they may be pretty receptive to doing whatever they would be able to.