Audition Rotation- P/HP/H

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sloow

MedJunkie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did an audition rotation at a "high end" EM Program last month. I must have rubbed 1 Resident or Faculty the wrong way because during my mid-rotation Evaluation there was feedback that wasnt so stellar, all other feedback was good.

I ended up only getting a P on the rotation, which from what it sounds like on this forum is very bad since everyone seems to HP or H their away rotations at places they get SLOE's from.

Am I doomed? I am almost afraid to even use that SLOE when I finally get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Just saying that if you rotate at a "high end" prog and don't use your letter that may throw up more flags than a P

Ive heard a lot of comments about "not using such and such letter may come off as a red flag", but how could a program even know that you didnt use a letter from somewhere?

I mean, the only time they could possibly even know exactly where I rotated etc would be during the actual interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive heard a lot of comments about "not using such and such letter may come off as a red flag", but how could a program even know that you didnt use a letter from somewhere?

I mean, the only time they could possibly even know exactly where I rotated etc would be during the actual interview.

Your transcript could give it away. If you have three EM rotations on your transcript and 2 sloes it might lead to some questions? Only speculating

Part of your dean's letter is your senior schedule

Part of your dean's letter is your senior schedule
It's not part of my letter. At least it wasn't on the draft they showed me that I signed off on. That's probably school specific, unless that part is added later, but I think I would've heard about that.

Well. My school only shows 1 EM slot on transcript, rest don't show.

But back to the original question, how bad does a P look?

So what's your plan. You're just not going to tell them about the away you did?

Reactions: 1 user

Depends on the rotation - the SLOE will have the percentage of rotators who get P/HP/H, so if you got a P and 95% get H, then that's a problem. If you got a P and only 10% get HP and 5% get H, not so big a deal.

On another note, there could be many reasons why someone gets a HP (the end of the rotation exam for example). I wonder if the bigger question might be your overall clinical performance and where they anticipate your will be on their rank list

Well. My school only shows 1 EM slot on transcript, rest don't show.

I know of two places I rotated explicitly stating they won't interview a person with a P.

Last edited:
Well then, if thats the case (unless getting an H/HP on other rotations cancel it out), it looks like you EM hopefuls this year just got a little lucky. Statistically speaking in regards to NRMP data I am quite a strong candidate, or should I say, Was.

I know of two places I rotated explicitly stating they won't interview a person with a P.

Obviously I cant state whether that is true or not seeing as I have never heard anything either way, but I did a ton of research obviously in the typical med student freak out fashion and I even found 3 recorded Skype session panel discussions with various EM PD's who made it sound like the actual grading of a rotation doesnt matter as much as the comments at the end of the SLOE.

http://medclerkships.com/em-match-advice-the-em-rotation-eras-and-am-i-competitive/

One of the PD's explicitly says she does not care about the grading since she knows that each place does it different, but most SLOE writers will make subtle hints in the language they use in the comments that really bring to light what the grading means.

One of the PD's explicitly says she does not care about the grading since she knows that each place does it different, but most SLOE writers will make subtle hints in the language they use in the comments that really bring to light what the grading means.
yep, there's more truth to this statement than you can imagine