audition rotations.. only for AOA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3bamboo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is some time away but it is important to have in mind when I choose a medical school.

Lets assume I wanted to do EM and I was applying to both AOA and ACGME programs. I understand that most often an away rotation is good for osteopathic programs, especially if they are competitive, but how about for ACGME programs? Are they required or even suggested, or do they just look at your complete application.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is some time away but it is important to have in mind when I choose a medical school.

Lets assume I wanted to do EM and I was applying to both AOA and ACGME programs. I understand that most often an away rotation is good for osteopathic programs, especially if they are competitive, but how about for ACGME programs? Are they required or even suggested, or do they just look at your complete application.

You need SLORs for EM so yes auditions are important.

Experience in the program is always good. Don't know your situation and what rotations are like at your school. DO rotations often aren't as "academic" as MD rotations. It's good to see what it's like in an academic center before starting residency...especially if you're interested in ACGME. I'd say that goes for all specialties.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a look at the Program Director's report at http://www.nrmp.org/. That will give you an idea of what PDs look for and how they feel about auditions. As Sylvanthus said, in EM, auditions are important. This varies between fields, however and the report will help give you a sense of who values them.

For the slors they can be from any acgme em program. So it is not so much of an audition for a prospective school but more for a means to get a goodevaluation that your dream residency programs will see
Is that a fair understanding or am I way off.

Also can you get a slor from a do rotation?

For the slors they can be from any acgme em program. So it is not so much of an audition for a prospective school but more for a means to get a goodevaluation that your dream residency programs will see
Is that a fair understanding or am I way off.

Also can you get a slor from a do rotation?

Not really - why would you waste your time and the time of a program with an audition if you aren't interested in being there?

Of course, not all the programs you audition will end up #1 on your list, but they should all be places you'd like to be, otherwise, you may be tempted to half-ass it and that will show up on your SLOR.

In theory, you could get a SLOR from a osteo program, but the whole point of SLORs is to get them from PDs that other PDs may know. If you get a letter from one of the dually-accredited programs, that would work, but a SLOR from a mid-tier or lower DO program may not have the weight you'd want.

Ok that makes sense thank you!

Not really - why would you waste your time and the time of a program with an audition if you aren't interested in being there?

Of course, not all the programs you audition will end up #1 on your list, but they should all be places you'd like to be, otherwise, you may be tempted to half-ass it and that will show up on your SLOR.

In theory, you could get a SLOR from a osteo program, but the whole point of SLORs is to get them from PDs that other PDs may know. If you get a letter from one of the dually-accredited programs, that would work, but a SLOR from a mid-tier or lower DO program may not have the weight you'd want.

I did rotations at places I wasn't interested in so I wouldn't inadvertently mess up my chances at places I was actually interested in. If I were to do it again, I'd probably do 1 rotation at a big name institution and try to get a LOR from someone important.

I went to the student track at the AAEM Scientific Assembly this year in Vegas. All 4 of the program directors were pretty much in agreement that a DO student who did zero ACGME rotations has essentially no shot at an ACGME residency. They also recommended that you rotate through multiple environments. So don't do 4 audition rotations just in academic centers or just in county facilities or just in community facilities.

Assuming a student works hard during a rotation, how willing are attendings/PDs to write LORs? It would suck to go on a rotation, work hard, and you don't get any letter out of it.

Assuming a student works hard during a rotation, how willing are attendings/PDs to write LORs? It would suck to go on a rotation, work hard, and you don't get any letter out of it.

If you are doing an audition EM rotation it is pretty much assumed you will want a SLOR. Course, just cuz they write it doesn't mean it is good. SLORs rank you compared to other medical students so it is a more accurate method of comparing people than just generic LOR.

If you are doing an audition EM rotation it is pretty much assumed you will want a SLOR. Course, just cuz they write it doesn't mean it is good. SLORs rank you compared to other medical students so it is a more accurate method of comparing people than just generic LOR.

Yeah I'd assume other students will be there to try and be in the spotlight as well. But the best a student can do is of course dependent on the student and as long as someone sees that's all that matters (I'm preaching to the choir lol). Thanks for the info.