Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Aug. mcat and applying this year

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by uclakid, Apr 28, 2004.

1. uclakid

uclakid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Can you apply after you find out your August mcat scores? In other words, can you still take the august mcat and THEN decide that you will apply the same year?? or must you apply, then take the mcat, which forces you to submit your scores (no matter what they are)?

I want to take the August test and I want to apply this year. I have never taken teh mcat before, so I might not do as well as I need to...in that case, I'm taking a huge risk...so, what should I do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am doing same thing. Was adviced to submit full aplication as soon as it available and then just wait for MCAT score. I think application will be availbale this Saturday May first.

4. uclakid

uclakid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

what a risk, huh?? maybe you can submit it AFTER you find out your august score? I mean, you're gonna be late anyway, right?

5. lilgecko

lilgecko Member
    7+ Year Member

I took the August MCAT, submitted my application 9/1, interviewed into late March and received acceptances in April...just a lot later than many other applicants.

I too, felt that submitting without knowing my scores was a HUGE risk. One way to think about it though, is that if you have scored well >30 on the AAMC practice tests, you _should_ do that well on the real deal. This was the hope that I clung to while I waited the six weeks for the results.

6. UCdannyLA

UCdannyLA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm an August MCAT taker too, but I am going to wait a year and apply EARLY next year instead of applying LATE this year.

It is a HUGE advantage applying early. I don't want to risk anything when I'm dealing with something that will essentially influence the rest of my life. And plus, I definitely want to stay in California for medical school, which is competitive as it is already...I will need every advantage I can get.

7. SoulRFlare

SoulRFlare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

to the OP
    if you want to apply this year, then send in your AMCAS app in as soon as possible. fill out your secondaries in a timely manner, and make sure your letters of rec. have been sent to your schools. it is a big risk to pay all that money to apply and not know your score, but then again, maybe it will make you study that much harder for the mcat. I suggest that you do as many practice tests as you can get your hands on: AAMC tests, Kaplan, TPR, etc. while the mcat tests knowledge to some degree, it is also a critical thinking test--so know the contours of the test itself. think of it as a gauntlet, or an obstacle course. while the particulars of each obstacle may differ, the overall forms are very much consistent from year to year.
    best of luck!