Aug MCAT or April MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking the Mcat again for the 2nd time. IS it harder to get in when applying late in the year (OCT)? Or should I wait until the April test and apply in June of 2001?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jeff E.

Members don't see this ad.

You do put yourself at a disadvantage by taking the August MCAT. If you are prepared, I would take the August MCAT and apply this year. If you are happy with the results, you're set. If things are not going well (i.e. no interview offers, etc.) during this cycle, you can reapply next cycle and be sure to get your app in early and put yourself at a competitive advantage.

Good luck.

If you take the August MCAT, the earliest your application will get plopped into the review pile is late October. By then, EDP applicants have already been accepted, and many candidates have already been interviewed. Basically, the April people have a four month jump on you, and that looms large. I'd take it in August and apply for next year on June 1, right out of the gate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the Aug 99 MCAT. I had sent out my AMCAS in the early part of the summer. Although my application was a little behind, I still received interviews. I was even accepted to IU in mid-november.

You got accepted in mid Nov? Man, that's early! I took the Aug 99 MCAT and sent in my AMCAS after the MCAT (that's probably where you and I differ, you probably sent your AMCAS in earlier) and got my secondaries in around Oct to Nov and got interviews for early spring and the acceptances came around April.

I just wasn't ready for the April MCAT even though I would have preferred taking the April over Aug just to get the AMCAS rolling along early in the application cycle.

I was really lucky with the Nov. date. I have heard many times that it is better to take the April MCAT. But, I just was not ready to take it. However, most of my other interviews were a little latter than most of my friends.

Originally posted by Topcat:
I'll be taking the Mcat again for the 2nd time. IS it harder to get in when applying late in the year (OCT)? Or should I wait until the April test and apply in June of 2001?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Jeff E.
Topcat,

go to the horse's mouth, the MSAR book, published by AAMC. In it, most med schools state in their admission section that "applicants are strongly advised to take the April MCAT". You definitely are putting yourself at a disadvantage by taking it in August. If you must take the test this august, apply in June 2001.