Aug. MCAT- too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredrcrawfor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- I already submitted my AMCAS and TMDSAS applications and am scheduled for the July 8th MCAT but I was considering rescheduling for Aug 5. do you think it would be a huge mistake?

Reasons to reschedule:
1. Just injured my shoulder and need physical therapy (will find out soon if surgery or not)

2. Grandmothers having a huge birthday party July 4th weekend outta state so family wants to see me

3. My practice test scores and understanding of material are improving but not where I really see myself- only really studied for about 3 weeks.

So if I reschedule will I be able to fill out secondaries and be competitive for getting some interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
any thoughts???

I went to the doctor today and I found out I get to see an orthopedic surgeon next week so i have to make the decision before I get a final answer about the shoulder-

right now I can't really study I am on pain meds and in so much pain I can't focus!

any thoughts???

I went to the doctor today and I found out I get to see an orthopedic surgeon next week so i have to make the decision before I get a final answer about the shoulder-

right now I can't really study I am on pain meds and in so much pain I can't focus!

Reschedule, reschedule, reschedule. You should not take the MCAT if you haven't properly studied for it or if you're under medications. As for applying late, it's important for me to provide some context. If you botch the July MCAT and end up with a 25, you're really going to have a hard time getting into any MD schools. However, if you properly study for it and get a 30+ and end up applying late, you might be interviewing late and end up on a waitlist, but you still have a reasonable chance of being admitted. So in some ways, it's better to be late and prepared than not prepared at all since your current scores may not make the cut-off at most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're in too much pain and absolutely cannot bear the work load, then postpone the test. But if you're scoring high 20's or better than I strongly encourage you NOT to postpone. Applying late can really hurt your interviewing chances.

any thoughts???

You should reschedule. I took the August MCAT last year and was not complete with many schools until late October. I still had a fair number of interviews and subsequent acceptances. It is better to have time to study and be prepared. Good luck!

ok so i took the july 21st? MCAT last year and got my scores in late august. I was screwing around and finished my secondaries from september to november. If you take the August MCAT they would report scores in late september. Ostensibly if you completed them within a day or two after you recieved them and got them done in october you could still be good to go. I applied to 27 schools and had 6 interviews and 3 acceptances even though i applied late so I think that IF you think you cant score well until august its possible to take it. However, it will reduce your stance in many schools and reduce the number of the interviews you will get by applying late. Long story short, if you take study for the next few weeks and are getting a 28 or 29 or above and feel somewhat confident (its hard to ever feel 100% confident with the material), then take it in July so you can get the advantage of applying earlier. If you really feel that you cant swing it, then take it in august.