Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Aug MCAT/ UC Secondaries and Interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chi-chi, Nov 8, 2000.

1. chi-chi

chi-chi Member

I took the MCAT in Aug 2000 and received secondaries from UCSF and UCI (both before the MCAT results) and UCD (after my results were released).

Has anyone received secondaries from UCLA and UCSD who took the Aug MCAT?

Also, has anyone who took the Aug MCAT been offered interviews yet at any of the UC's? [​IMG]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lizard

lizard Member

I just got a UCSD secondary. I still haven't heard anything from UCLA.

4. jawkma

jawkma Member

I've gotten a secondary from UCD, and haven't heard from UCLA or UCI (other than... we got your application)
    I unfortunately just got a rejection from UCSD. I had a 3.5 GPA in Engineering and a 34-36 Aug MCAT...
    Lizard, if you don't mind.. what were your stats? I didn't realize my scores were so bad that I shouldn't have gotten a secondary.
    Does anyone know of a way to 'appeal'?

5. gower

gower 1K Member

I have no idea why some of you get secondaries and others not, even when the numbers seem to be in the same ballpark. A possibility is that screening at some medical schools is not done on numbers alone but on other aspects of the application: i.e. personal statement, recommendation letters [some "recommendation" letters recommend, but reading between the lines may suggest some hesitation], perceived difficulty of curriculum, perceived differences in competiveness of undergraduate colleges, etc. The likelihood is that if you call the admissions office to ask why no interview, you will get a generalized answer that will not satisfy you. But call anyway if it will make you feel better, and perhaps something on your application was misunderstood and your correction might actually change your status. Insulting them, should it occur to you when you call, not unknown to happen, may make you feel better, but will guarantee that they will not look again and will satisfy them that they made the right decision not to interview you.
    It is said the Lord moves in mysterious ways; so do some professional schools.

6. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    jawkma -- sorry about the "dis" from UCSD, but it might have had something to do with the timing of your application being completed (i.e., August MCAT). UCSD has been interviewing for almost 2 months now, and they started sending out acceptances in the last week of October. That may have put you at a disadvantage...

7. lizard

lizard Member

I know that timing for the UCs is a big deal. The rolling admissions is tough, but I guess that was the gamble of taking the MCAT in august. I, too, took the MCAT in august, so I'm sure I am in a tough spot. For UCI, I think you can call because I didn't get a secondary and asked them about it (at the end of october) and they sent me one while I was on the phone.

My stats are 3.7 overall/3.9 science; 37S MCAT. I heard a rumor that UCI rejects applicants off the bat if their stats are too high and thought that maybe that was what happened to me. I called and expressed my interest and they were really nice.

I don't know if that rumor is exactly true (and the admissions office said that there was no truth to the rumor) because my fiance is also applying and his stats are similar to mine and he got a UCI secondary 2 months before his August scores came out. Jawkma, I think your stats are pretty solid--sadly, sometimes people just fall through the cracks.

I heard that UCLA has not sent any secondaries to folks who took the August MCAT yet. It won't be for another couple of weeks. If you hear/know of anything, please post.

8. jawkma

jawkma Member

Thanks for the comments!
    I know that the late app was a disadvantage, but thought I might as well throw my hat in the ring this application cycle.
    I'm on the fence between really wanting to say 'hey, wait... please take another look' and realizing that some things happen for a reason and I should just get over it.
    Too bad UCSD was my first choice - because it is the closest to where I'm living it would have been the easiest transition to make. Lots of options still open, and worse come to worse, there is always next year.

I may make an appeal to the school just on the grounds that 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' and it may make me feel that I at least made an attempt.

Thanks again to everyone...

9. lizard

lizard Member

Got UCLA secondary as an August MCAT taker yesterday.