August 05 MCAT and Orgo II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jules0328

DOSchoolWannaBe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most of you are biting your nails at this point about your soon to be released scores. But, I wanted to know if any of you took the August MCAT while taking Orgo II, is it doable? I know you will most likely have to be the most structured, self discipline person and budget your time wisely (which is fine with me).

If anyone did this? Did you regret it? Was it ok? Or would you have waited to take orgo II in the fall or spring, or the MCAT for that matter?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jules0328 said:
I know most of you are biting your nails at this point about your soon to be released scores. But, I wanted to know if any of you took the August MCAT while taking Orgo II, is it doable? I know you will most likely have to be the most structured, self discipline person and budget your time wisely (which is fine with me).

If anyone did this? Did you regret it? Was it ok? Or would you have waited to take orgo II in the fall or spring, or the MCAT for that matter?

Thanks.

I took orgo I, orgo II and the lab for both while studying for the MCAT and while doing 40 hours of volunteer work in a hospital and a clinic. It was a summer from hell, but i'm sort of used to working against the odds and getting thru it. My gf was really upset with me and I essentially had no life, especially after an already bad semester of problems. However taking orgo at the same time meant i knew it well and didn't have to do any extra studying for it. I'll tell you whether i regret it or not aftetr i find out my results.

And just to explain my reasoning...i decided after a couple years to definitely pursue medicine. My school only offers orgo I in the fall and orgo II in the spring. It was too later to register for orgo I in my junor year so my only choice was to take them over the summer or wait an entire year to take the MCAT and take a year off. I sort of decided that at the last minute too and almost didn't even take the MCAT this summer.

Good luck.

I had 2 0-chem passages and they were redicuously easy. It's not hard on the mcat

Scott

Psycho Doctor said:
I took orgo I, orgo II and the lab for both while studying for the MCAT and while doing 40 hours of volunteer work in a hospital and a clinic. It was a summer from hell, but i'm sort of used to working against the odds and getting thru it. My gf was really upset with me and I essentially had no life, especially after an already bad semester of problems. However taking orgo at the same time meant i knew it well and didn't have to do any extra studying for it. I'll tell you whether i regret it or not aftetr i find out my results.

And just to explain my reasoning...i decided after a couple years to definitely pursue medicine. My school only offers orgo I in the fall and orgo II in the spring. It was too later to register for orgo I in my junor year so my only choice was to take them over the summer or wait an entire year to take the MCAT and take a year off. I sort of decided that at the last minute too and almost didn't even take the MCAT this summer.

Good luck.

Thanks, PsychoDoc. Yeah I can only imagine what your summer must have been like. But, i really would rather not wait until orgo II in the fall or spring. My school offers orgo II at night, and the professors are not that great at night (at least at my school). So, I am really considering it. I definitely know that I will not be ready by April, since I will have not taken Orgo I or Orgo II, but i think by August, I should be.

Did you take a prep course? Probably not since you were volunteering 40 hours a week as well. If I may ask, how did you do in orgo I and II? Thanks fr your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
jules0328 said:
Thanks, PsychoDoc. Yeah I can only imagine what your summer must have been like. But, i really would rather not wait until orgo II in the fall or spring. My school offers orgo II at night, and the professors are not that great at night (at least at my school). So, I am really considering it. I definitely know that I will not be ready by April, since I will have not taken Orgo I or Orgo II, but i think by August, I should be.

Did you take a prep course? Probably not since you were volunteering 40 hours a week as well. If I may ask, how did you do in orgo I and II? Thanks fr your input.

no, i didn't take a prep course...unlike the majority of students apparently. I'd rather not post my grades here but i did well in orgo, much better than i anticipated.

and that's why i couldn't really take the April MCAT; i didn't think i should go for it without orgo.

good luck!!

Psycho Doctor said:
I took orgo I, orgo II and the lab for both while studying for the MCAT and while doing 40 hours of volunteer work in a hospital and a clinic.
Good luck.

Wow!!!!! You spent 40 hous a week studying for O chem 2... you should have done well...

Quakkilla said:
Wow!!!!! You spent 40 hous a week studying for O chem 2... you should have done well...

no, no, no...you misunderstood, 40 hours of volunteer work...some of which i managed to bring a book and study ;)