August 15 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cumberland_Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
August is coming fast. For those of you August 15th MCAT folks, post your thoughts, preparation, and questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

im sure many are... myself included... its just that, its 2+ months away :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be in this group if my May 31 MCAT scores suck.

Since my original scores were lower than I hoped for; I will be taking them again on Aug 15. :(

Last edited:
I hope this is the only time I have to take this test.

Amen. It is a little unsettling that this is probably the easiest standardized test that we are going to take once med school starts. At least the future ones won't have verbal. :love:

lol

ive been on and off studying since mid may...
ive done bout 85% of chem, 75% of physics, 35% of orgo, and 35% bio thus far... i think im on a good track.... thats about 2-3hours a day, 5x a week + my kaplan class which runs twice a week, 3hrs a night.

You sound like you're in a good position there, amar. I'm about 20% bio and ochem, with about 40% in phys and 0% in gchem :(

I've been studying 7x a week with 2-3hrs a night and 5+ on the weekends.

I'm taking it.

And whoever wrote the practice test I'm taking right now sucks at math (my boss is looking over my shoulder and checking it as I'm doing it, so I'm fairly certain I'm right).

Am I the only person taking the MCAT who isn't taking Kaplan or anything like that? Because I don't have $1600 or more for test prep. I'm trying to save my money for applications

I'm not taking the Kaplan online course, however, I do have all the AAMC tests and Kaplan tests. I also have a variety of books ranging from EK Bio, EK OChem, EK Verbal, Nova Physics, Kaplan Premiere Program, and all the EK 1001 series. I have an assortment of discretes and sectional tests provided by Kaplan also.

lets own this one! First and last time... (and watch me get knocked down for being too cocky :p ). O well, how's everyone feeling about this test date? I have heard Aug MCAT is hard and curves aren't generous due to lotta ppl taking it after a good bit of studying over the summer.

I think these two months will be ideal for working on weaknesses. 4/5hr - 5days/week. For me being strong in sciences, I'm trying to improve PS/BS by exhausting online Kaplan stuff along with EK/AAMC material. Avoiding careless mistakes and being little more alert is going to be the key to get those extra few ?s right. As for verbal which is my weakest, currently doing about one 60mt test everyday and lotta outside reading.

I'm no expert in giving advice on verbal but definitely finding Vihsada's strategy really helpful. No matter how slow and carefully I read, most of the time the total # of questions I got right equaled the same when I speed read (+/- 1) while adhereing to the time limit. So instead of taking 5mt to read, getting it done in 3/4mt max and then spending more than half time answering questions is the key. Being able to think carefully about wuts its really asking and scrutinizing answer choices will tremendously increase the # of questions you get right. Feeling satisfied that you read a bit slower, understand passage completely and now can get all questions right is a misbelief. Time's likely to be up before having answered all questions!

60mt/40 = 1.5mt/question. Most passages are have 5, 6 or 7 questions, which gives you 7.5mt, 9mt and 10.5mt to work with for each one. Try it out if you are like me struggling to break double digits and stuck near 8/9.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting VR this weekend with EK and the new 101 passages. I hope to make that a strong point, although that is easier said than done. How are you all studying so far for this with a while to go? I've been cross-referencing KAP and EK materials with content review starting with both Ochem and Bio for the BS section. I'll review the KAP stuff and then read the EK side of things and take their In-Class Exam to see how well I know the material. The real test will come when I take my AAMC 4 FL diagnostic.

Does anyone here know if there are any spots left in NYC?!?! I need to retake mine after today's devastation.

I just did a repeat search and it looks like you won't have much of a problem with scheduling an Aug 15 test.

• ONE PENN PLAZA
  • 17TH FL, SUITE 1728
  • NEW YORK, NY 10119
8AM and 2PM

I'm starting VR this weekend with EK and the new 101 passages. I hope to make that a strong point, although that is easier said than done. How are you all studying so far for this with a while to go? I've been cross-referencing KAP and EK materials with content review starting with both Ochem and Bio for the BS section. I'll review the KAP stuff and then read the EK side of things and take their In-Class Exam to see how well I know the material. The real test will come when I take my AAMC 4 FL diagnostic.

I'm not studying that much...should I be worried?

I seem to study better by taking a test and seeing as I go through it what I still need to work on.

That method's also proving to be the most time efficient for me as I'm doing summer school right now (gotta finish those Gen.Ed. requirements) and also working part-time, moving up to full time the 28th...

As for progress...I'm pretty solid on the BS, in PS I'm about 60% there with chem and need a LOT of work with physics (it's been a while since I took it)...haven't looked at the VR, but I've always been reasonably good at that stuff.

Everyone studies differently. There's nothing to say that your method doesn't work. As long as you understand your weaknesses and improve on those by test day and understand the core concepts.

I'm a member of the club. I just got really sick for a week so I lost some studying. I really really suck at PS right now so I gotta rock out on that... I hope EK is enough. Anyone else taking it in Queens?

Really? Ugh. I guess I gotta spend some more cash then. What would you suggest as supplemental material?

The general consensus is the following, correct me if I'm wrong:

BIO - EK, KAP
GCHEM - TBR, KAP
PHYS - Nova, TBR
OCHEM - TBR, KAP
VERBAL - EK & 101 Passages by EK

You may or may not want to purchase the EK 1001 series, which contains many discretes and some passages to solidify your understanding of the material.

Also, you'll want to have all the AAMC CBT practice exams.

hmmm. do i need the new kaplan book? thats like $70 compared to $10 for the 2005 edition :p

I doubt much has changed minus the mentioning of the new CBT format in the newer versions. I have the 2007-2008 Premiere KAP book, and my friend gave me his VR, PS, and BS Kap review notes books he got with the $1800 course, but they say, word-for-word, the exact thing as my premiere book.

taking it august 15th as well

i got the kaplan 2008-2009 premiere program, the AAMC 3-10 exams, and a mix of the EK books (7th ed of organic/gen chem/physics and complete set of 5th ed)

my study plan is to do 3 chapters of my kaplan book every day, rotating subjects every day. im about 1/3rd done so far, and project to have the book done about 4 weeks before the exam. about every other week im doing AAMC exams.

once im done with my kaplan book i'll be going over questions and hitting concepts that i don't really get.

in about 2 weeks im going to order the 101 verbal and start working on that.

does anyone think i should get the 1001 books? will i even have enough time to do those? do they help?

good luck to all august 15'ers :)

If you want to score in the mid-35s, you'll want something more the EK to solidify concepts and give you enough of a challenge.

no
thats not true. dont go waste your money.

Study to your best, do a practice test and see where you stand... THEN go see if you need to buy more material.

Hi guys!

Just registered for Aug 15 at 2PM!

Looking forward to get involve with this thread haha

Hey everyone, I am taking mine on August 22nd which is really close to the August 15 MCAT. Is it really true that the curve is lower and tests are harder in August? I though that they look at all of the test dates not just the August ones. Does anyone know anything about this? I am a little worried now. Thanks.:)

I'm taking it.

And whoever wrote the practice test I'm taking right now sucks at math (my boss is looking over my shoulder and checking it as I'm doing it, so I'm fairly certain I'm right).

Am I the only person taking the MCAT who isn't taking Kaplan or anything like that? Because I don't have $1600 or more for test prep. I'm trying to save my money for applications

Same. I have the money (just...and I mean just barely) but it really seems like a waste to me. For some people I completely understand why they take the course. It gives you a crash review of the material, it gives a timeline of where, when, and what to study, and it gives you practice opportunities.

To me, the MCAT material is quite simply, the MCAT material. Pick up a few books, used or new for 2-3 hundred total and you can accomplish the same thing without the course.

Where I'm at. Finished Chemistry in about two weeks and working my way through physics. My plan is to spend most of July working on my writing/verbal and on orgo (I know they cut back on it greatly but I struggled with it when I took it and two years later I can't see it coming much easier...although, who knows).

So i'm two weeks into my TPR course. I've taken my second practice test and i'm embarrassed to say it was also my second score of 13! I want to ace this test so bad. I've got 2 months exactly today left to study, i'm not working and i'm going to put all time into this, unfortunatly i haven't seen this science stuff in a while, so i'm re-learning here. do you think I have time to do this right?

So i'm two weeks into my TPR course. I've taken my second practice test and i'm embarrassed to say it was also my second score of 13! I want to ace this test so bad. I've got 2 months exactly today left to study, i'm not working and i'm going to put all time into this, unfortunatly i haven't seen this science stuff in a while, so i'm re-learning here. do you think I have time to do this right?

you'll be fine, just work hard... everyday... you may know the information inside out but you arej ust having troubles critically thinking or extracting information based on the passage.... learn how to eliminate wrong answer choices as well, it will take you far!

2 weeks into a course I wouldnt expect your score to go up, in fact... it will probably go down as you are becoming accustomed to using the courses method of thought

Hey everyone, I am taking mine on August 22nd which is really close to the August 15 MCAT. Is it really true that the curve is lower and tests are harder in August? I though that they look at all of the test dates not just the August ones. Does anyone know anything about this? I am a little worried now. Thanks.:)

Does anyone know about this? I am really worried. Thanks.

It may be a rumor, but I can't say it's entirely fare to think one MCAT is "easier" than another. We should be prepared anyways. Missing problems is a result of not being prepared vs the test being "hard". The curve is predetermined also, so who knows.

It may be a rumor, but I can't say it's entirely fare to think one MCAT is "easier" than another. We should be prepared anyways. Missing problems is a result of not being prepared vs the test being "hard". The curve is predetermined also, so who knows.

That's a good point. Define what hard is. Personally, I was awful at organic chemistry when I took it in University...I mean truly awful. I did poorly enough that if it wasn't for the labs and last minute cramming I probably would have failed the first term of my orgo career. Since then I have worked hard to make sure that I filled in the fundamentals that I didn't accomplish the first time around so it shouldn't be a problem on the MCAT. That being said, orgo is probably still going to be the portion of the exam that I will struggle with more than anything else simply because of self doubt. If the exam on August 15th has 10 orgo questions and I get 4 wrong I could consider the exam "hard". However, the problems could all be relatively easy for everyone else.

If you are prepared for the exam (and by that I mean knowing the material and being smart about how to approach each question) hard vs. easy shouldn't be an issue.

Some MCATs are harder or easier than others, that's the point of a curve. They know more students will not answer certain specific questions correctly. But you're absolutely right that everyone should prepare to the best of his or her ability. Don't take which test may be harder or easier into account when you're studying. I'm a firm believer in the fact that if you're well prepared and you did everything possible, things will take care of itself in the end.

Well the only logical reason behind a harder curve for August is that people have all the time in the world to study for it since there is no school in session for the majority of us. So people would perform better, thus a less friendly curve. But honestly, I think the MCAT is relatively unpredictable. Just know your stuff.

Amen. It is a little unsettling that this is probably the easiest standardized test that we are going to take once med school starts. At least the future ones won't have verbal. :love:

easiest for who? for me i wil predict it to be the "hardest" because it is on material that i could care less about and has nothing to do with my future career. for that reason, i was miserable studying for it, and I foudn it pretty difficult to do well. the standardized tests we all will be taking throughout our medical education might be harder, but it will be on material i am interested in and is necessary to succeed in my career. because of that, i think it will be "easier" than studying and taking the MCAT.

Took my first Kaplan Full length today got a 35 up from a 32 on the diagnostic. I gotta work on my verbal tho.

the test itself isnt harder, the people who write it have just had more time to study and thus perform better...

the test is standardized remember... you are graded relative to your competition.

We're all going to be following the curve, since it's set before we even take the test. But I think we should get away from the topic of whether the test is going to be hard or not because it's not someone anyone of us can control.