August 15 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cumberland_Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
August is coming fast. For those of you August 15th MCAT folks, post your thoughts, preparation, and questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

VR: 11 ( A little lower than I thought, figured it to be a 12, definitely frazzled after the Physics section)
P: 8 (Bad, very bad, but knew it was coming as soon as I finished the physics section)
B: 9 ( Again a little lower than I though, figured to be a 10, not sure what happened other than obviously not answering enough questions right)

So 28Q

Sci GPA 3.73

How bad is this? Give it to me straight!

Members don't see this ad :)
VS: 6....
BS: 10
PS: 9
WS: O
25O

Apparently Verbal kicked the crap out of me. and I guess a week and a half of studying was far from enough.

So, I thought I was going to die, my heart was beating so fast when I clicked Login. But I passed and got what I needed!

12 PS
11 VR
11 BS

Total: 34Q

Congrats everyone! :D

Last edited:
Now if there was only a way to undo my binge drinking habit from freshmen year. Take care, thanks for the quick reply, and hope everyone has good news.

Mañana es otra día, disfruta! Tomorrow is another day, so enjoy today.

VR 12
PS 11
BS 9
writing L :uhno:

The L worries me. I knew I did pretty bad but...

With a VR that high, you shouldnt let the writing get you down. They should offset each other. Plus, most any school you're applying to will be requiring secondary essays and will have your personal statement (more than enough proof that you CAN write). Pretty score by the way :)

VS: 6....
25O

Apparently Verbal kicked the crap out of me. and I guess a week and a half of studying was far from enough.

VR = A beast, always. On a high note, your science scores are nothing to balk at - VERY good for a week and a half of studying!

VR: 11 ( A little lower than I thought, figured it to be a 12, definitely frazzled after the Physics section)
P: 8 (Bad, very bad, but knew it was coming as soon as I finished the physics section)
B: 9 ( Again a little lower than I though, figured to be a 10, not sure what happened other than obviously not answering enough questions right)

So 28Q

Sci GPA 3.73

How bad is this? Give it to me straight!

Not too bad. Apply widely and broadly. Look at a retake if you DON'T get in this cycle. Thirty+ is no where near out of reach for you!

I would like as many people to reply if you feel it is necessary/helpful/insightful...

I just looked at my scores and saw:
PS: 8
VR: 9
BS: 9
W: N
Total: 26

And I'm crushed. Really crushed. I don't know what to think or do.. Please help

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice Average:
VR: 10
BS: 8
Usually ended up with a 26-28

Predicted:
PS: 7
BS: 8

Actual (August 15)
PS: 7
BS: 7
WS: N
23N

this sucks.. on my first practice test I got a 21 and ever since then it was never lower than a 25. I havent taken physics 2 yet which is why I found the PS section a bit hard (i had two passages on it, way more than any AAMC practice test). The bio surpirsed me, I thought I did a bit better than that. And verbal?? I was hoping for that to save me.

Im going to have to retake.. :mad::mad: oh well im still a Jr. and have a year to study.

Congrats to those who are happy with their scores!

Physics II will help. Best of luck with your retake. Took me 3 times to finally beat the beast. You can do it, too! If you (or anyone else that isn't happy with their scores) need any consolation, PM me :)

I would like as many people to reply if you feel it is necessary/helpful/insightful...

I just looked at my scores and saw:
PS: 8
BS: 9
W: N
Total: 26

And I'm crushed. Really crushed. I don't know what to think or do.. Please help

Maximus,
1) Breathe. I know you are very upset, but this is still points higher than the MCAT average.
2)I, for one, need some more details in order to accurately assess your situation.... Amount of time studied, practice scores, where you are in your degree (and what it is in, if you aren't a science major), BCPM GPA, cumGPA, and anything else you might feel helpful. If you aren't comfortable posting your info for everyone, send me a PM.

It's going to be okay. You CAN do this!

Physics II will help. Best of luck with your retake. Took me 3 times to finally beat the beast. You can do it, too! If you (or anyone else that isn't happy with their scores) need any consolation, PM me :)

Thanks a lot buddy. I think I will do much better on the retake. I expected the testing centers to be quiet and all, but it was just the opposite. I had a computer that was about a decade old and the headphones did more harm than good. I think I will take practice tests in worse conditions so it wont be a surprise. Hopefully the next test wont test my weaknesses as much as this one did.

I was so fing nervous the past two days. I had a 24 last time I took it when I did no prep. I had bad time management again and only had about 3.5 weeks to study this summer. I poured my heart and soul into reviewing and did around 8 hours a day but I had no idea what to expect on the real thing. I could not stop thinking about the scores all week I was so nervous I could not even sleep last night.

PS: 10
VR: 12
BS: 11
WR: M

33M IM SO HAPPY, GL TO EVERYONE

Thanks a lot buddy. I think I will do much better on the retake. I expected the testing centers to be quiet and all, but it was just the opposite. I had a computer that was about a decade old and the headphones did more harm than good. I think I will take practice tests in worse conditions so it wont be a surprise. Hopefully the next test wont test my weaknesses as much as this one did.

Nah. You got it this time. :thumbup:

I was so fing nervous the past two days. I had a 24 last time I took it when I did no prep. I had bad time management again and only had about 3.5 weeks to study this summer. I poured my heart and soul into reviewing and did around 8 hours a day but I had no idea what to expect on the real thing. I could not stop thinking about the scores all week I was so nervous I could not even sleep last night.

AWESOME improvement!

predicted scores:

PS: 13
BS: 13

Actuall Scores:

PS: 12
BS: 15

Total: 36L :soexcited:

Im pretty pleased with the outcome, hopefully the sub 10 verbal score wont hurt me too much. Kind of surprised about the writing section though, was expecting for that to be much higher :confused:

Congrats to everyone else!!!!

Congrats!

predicted scores:

Actuall Scores:

Im pretty pleased with the outcome, hopefully the sub 10 verbal score wont hurt me too much. Kind of surprised about the writing section though, was expecting for that to be much higher :confused:

The 9 shouldn't hurt you one bit. Congrats!

I don't remember how this works for the AMCAS app. If the app has already been verified and this was marked as a pending MCAT, do we have to resubmit the app now that we have a score or is it automatically updated at all the schools that received it?

So first time I took it:
P11 V8 B12 S

This time:
P10 V10 B10 R

How do you think this will be with med schools?

predicted scores:

Actuall Scores:

Wow! Congratulations! :hardy:

I don't remember how this works for the AMCAS app. If the app has already been verified and this was marked as a pending MCAT, do we have to resubmit the app now that we have a score or is it automatically updated at all the schools that received it?
The schools receiving them automatically. I can't remember if it's the day before you do, or the day after.

So first time I took it:
P11 V8 B12 S

This time:
P10 V10 B10 R

How do you think this will be with med schools?
You're still in the same range. It's not going to hurt you, and that improved Verbal may even help at some places.

I got a 37M. While I am happy about the numerical score, I am less than impressed with my writing score. Would a writing score like this look bad in any way?

VR: 6 :(

26O (my first MCAT (taken in july) score was 22M.. w/ a verbal of 3.. I'm an immigrant)

3.7 cumGPA and 3.6 BCPM. MCB major. Excellent work and extracurricular history. Multiple leadership and clinical volunteering experiences. Working in the one of the top neurology lab in the country. Multiple research experiences in clinical psychology and medical ethics departments. Have the best recommendation letters. Senior graduating this semester. And applied to all the schools in Illinois and Missouri only.

Please be honest and tell me my chances?.. Thank you all in advance!

I'm screwed and now in a limbo.

P: 7
V: 9
B: 10

26P

Graduating this December w/ a BA in Bio & GPA of 3.15. I'm not sure where I go from here..

I took the 8 am test.

10 VR
14 PS
12 BS

36O

Check out the threads from the two tests one week before us. Poor folks are going nuts, and pretty soon that'll be us...

Not to sound cold, but let's say you end up getting a 40. Was it a fair trade off?

I didn't quite get a 40, and I wouldn't say it was a fair trade off, but it definitely gives me something to feel good about! :love:

PS: 11

33M

I was really expecting my VR and WS scores to be higher... I hope this doesn't hurt me too much. I have a 3.85 GPA but I am also a CA resident. :(

Don't worry about that M. Celebrate the 37, which is a solid score for any program you may be interested in. That writing score carries less weight than anything else, and some schools don't even bother to consider it. Besides, unless you got 15 on each of the sciences, your verbal score had to be good enough to show that you aren't lacking in that area.

Don't worry about that M. Celebrate the 37, which is a solid score for any program you may be interested in. That writing score carries less weight than anything else, and some schools don't even bother to consider it. Besides, unless you got 15 on each of the sciences, your verbal score had to be good enough to show that you aren't lacking in that area.
I was going to say the same exact thing!

I got a 10 on the verbal which is a pretty decent score.

I'm screwed and now in a limbo.

P: 7
V: 9
B: 10

26P

Graduating this December w/ a BA in Bio & GPA of 3.15. I'm not sure where I go from here..

If you don't have good luck this cycle, look at a Post-Bacc to bring up your GPA, and consider a retake. If you could get any additional courses in the Physics/Chem end (and do well in them - this was always a struggle for me), it might help with both the GPA and MCAT.

If you don't have an aversion to DO, definitely apply there -widely and broadly. And any state schools for sure. You can do it! :)

VR - 10
PS- 10
BS - 9

29 Q

darn! almost broke 30/. i know 30 is the score to shoot for, but will a 29 do?

P: 12
V: 12
W: S
B: 13

37S... good, but the programs I've been looking at are averaging higher than that. Has anyone done well and retaken it? Did you go up or down? I was averaging ~14 on the verbal, so I'm surprised I lost so many points there this time -- but I'm scared to take it again and go down. Anyone?

Oh and I took the 8am as well -- so mine just got posted.

1 post

troll anyone?

I thought scores automatically got sent out. Do we need to go to the send your scores to selected programs button?

hungdizzle:
VR - 10
PS- 10
BS - 9

29 Q

darn! almost broke 30/. i know 30 is the score to shoot for, but will a 29 do?

Go to the Pre-Allo forum and read this thread about interview offers to those with scores from 27-29. Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

Last edited:
May 27 MCAT
6 verbal
10 physics
9 bio

August 15 MCAT
6 verbal
12 physics
11 bio

Should i be happy?