August 15 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cumberland_Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
August is coming fast. For those of you August 15th MCAT folks, post your thoughts, preparation, and questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

May 27 MCAT
6 verbal
10 physics
9 bio

August 15 MCAT
6 verbal
12 physics
11 bio

Should i be happy?

Marked improvement in your sciences. I'm not sure how the VR will go over - apply widely & broadly. The overall improvement is definitely noted, but be prepared to explain the VR when admissions committees ask.

VR-11
BS-10
PS-12
WS-S(!)

33S for a first time test taker and no prep course. I am on cloud nine right now. Although I don't understand why BS was my lowest section, I'm not going to complain. I hope everyone is happy with their score and if not does better next time around.

Now time to study for a biochem exam...

Members don't see this ad :)
well, there is really nothing to explain. english is my second language and basically i suck at reading!

I would like as many people to reply if you feel it is necessary/helpful/insightful...

I just looked at my scores and saw:
PS: 8
VR: 9
BS: 9
W: N
Total: 26

And I'm crushed. Really crushed. I don't know what to think or do.. Please help

I got a 26M. You did better than me. Don't be crushed. The MCAT is one of the most important things for you app but it's not everything. I work at one of the best hospitals in the country (University of Washington Medical Center) and the doctors around here are telling me to apply anyways. They say that the quality of the school you go to is over-rated, it's how you do once you're there and how you do on the USMLE that really counts for your future. There are some schools (albeit a few) out there that have an average MCAT around that.

My plan: Apply this year without getting my hopes up. Plan on a retake next year! When life gives you lemons, buy a 12 pack of Corona.

June 15th 2007:
B : 10
V : 05
P : 10
W : M

Aug 15th 2008 :
B : 10
V : 08:(
P : 12:)
W : N

Good luck to everyone who is applying this year !!

I got a 26M. You did better than me. Don't be crushed. The MCAT is one of the most important things for you app but it's not everything. I work at one of the best hospitals in the country (University of Washington Medical Center) and the doctors around here are telling me to apply anyways. They say that the quality of the school you go to is over-rated, it's how you do once you're there and how you do on the USMLE that really counts for your future. There are some schools (albeit a few) out there that have an average MCAT around that.

My plan: Apply this year without getting my hopes up. Plan on a retake next year! When life gives you lemons, buy a 12 pack of Corona.

Agreed. I applied with my LOW 20 score last year, and still got an interview invite. Although I didn't get in, I learned so much about the process... It was well worth it. :thumbup:

well, there is really nothing to explain. english is my second language and basically i suck at reading!
Same here. Verbal seems to hate me. Are you applying this cycle ?. What is your GPA ?.

Thanks. Appreciate the warm words. Good luck to you.

hi all
Got my score back and I am crushed.
Here's my breakdown:
PS - 10
VR - 6
BS - 11
WS - R

This is my second time taking and would like advice on how I should improve. I'm not even sure if i should retake again. Are there lots of others that take it three times??
Well, if i do retake, obviously i need ALOT of work on verbal. I know i have a very hard time actively reading on the MCAT. Does anybody have a great strategy for me?
Any advice will help. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
was averaging ~32 on practices tests, ended up with 27Q. this blows. i have like a 3.6 gpa and im from louisiana. any input?

was averaging ~32 on practices tests, ended up with 27Q. this blows. i have like a 3.6 gpa and im from louisiana. any input?
Check out your state schools. Those scores and GPA are within the range for several states that serve primarily in-state students. A lot will depend on the strength of the rest of your application.

Congrats to all those who decimated the thing...

1st time (May 31st): 26M (10PS/7VR/9BS)

2nd time (Aug 15th): 30M (11PS/9VR/10BS)

I still bombed relative to my practices... but I was expecting that 2nd time around. :D
I'm just happy I broke the psychological level of "30+", and never have to do it again (well hopefully...)

For those who didn't, like Maximus, don't fret man. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was scoring 28-31 first time, and after I saw the 26 I felt the same "crushed" feeling. But I also used that to fuel my studying the second time. (it was only about 3 weeks of studying time too, so do NOT give up in frustration just yet) I might post in the 30+ thread about how I studied to improve. Although I honestly feel like laughing thinking about the fact that I even can post in the 30+ thread compared with all the 35+ in here... Good luck to those who are retaking! :thumbup:

Responding to "hopeful2013"

I'd recommend studying with the examkrackers series. They've got the best test prep materials out there (in my opinion). My verbal score went from a 7 on the practice tests to a 12 on the real thing. Good luck

Last edited:
Breakdown:

PS: 14
VR: 10
BS: 11
TOTAL: 35M

M is unexpected....and expected higher on bio cuz i was getting 13s on practice tests. Is it worth a retake? :confused:

5/10 MCAT: 30
8/15 2pm MCAT: 36

Practice Averages:
PS: 12
VR: 10.5
BS: 13

Predicted guesses from post-test:
PS: 10-12
VR: 10-11
BS: 14-15

8/15 2pm MCAT:
PS: 12
VR: 9
BS: 15

Sooooo stoked. Finally hit my practice ranges and have a shot at MSTP schools!!!

Everyone who knows they can do better than their first score: Work hard, study hard, practice hard, and you can do it!

Yo! I just checked my scores. I took the test on June 13th and did terrible PS: 9 VS: 3 BS: 8 WS: Q. Yeah, that's right a friggin' 20Q. I cried so much because I studied so hard for it and was scoring between 27-30 on Kaplan and 26-30 on AAMC. But I regrouped, and forgot about my prior performance. This time I got a PS: 10 VS: 8 BS: 9 WS: Q...27Q. I am so happy! I would like to tell anyone who did not get what they wanted, and need to retest TO NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I got a 36S - VR 14 PS 11 BS 11

I am delighted. :) My practices ranged from 10-12 in all three, so the PS and BS are spot-on and VR is a lovely gift. I took the 2 PM administration.

woww.. congrats all of ya! This is prob the best day in a while as I broke 34Q (13, 10, 11). Just one pt from my target score of 35. O well, I need some honest opinion on retaking this as I know I have the potential for 36+ but was two short of BS (which is actually my strongest section). I know I've no right to complain but would anyone recommend taking it again in April as I'm just a rising junior?

woww.. congrats all of ya! This is prob the best day in a while as I broke 34Q (13, 10, 11). Just one pt from my target score of 35. O well, I need some honest opinion on retaking this as I know I have the potential for 36+ but was two short of BS (which is actually my strongest section). I know I've no right to complain but would anyone recommend taking it again in April as I'm just a rising junior?

as Miley Cyrus says: everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days

if you take it again it would be worthless....your already pretty high so i wouldnt worry about it...your done..never worry about the mcat again...you passed the 30 mark and i bet you are practically a genius

i wouldnt worry to much...follow Miley's example..shes got the best of both worlds

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

i just got my scores of VR 6, PS 5, and BS 8, with a writing sample of R

i scored 27-30 on practice tests....i have NO idea that id do this bad....i retook the test on sept 12

should i bother applying?? i recently submitted amcas

is this even worth it? do i even have a shot at carribean schools or do schools!?!?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

heh, better than I expected. 41S; PS:14, BS: 15, VR:12.

Pity I'm Canadian and such a score really does nothing for my application.

1 post

troll anyone?

Not intentionally, but I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'm applying to mostly MD/PhD programs, and while my score is competitive, my GPA is ~3.66 and I don't have a good research background to fuel my extracurriculars.

I'm not unhappy, just felt as if I could have done better. We're all perfectionists (or so I hope) going into this field.

Congrats to everyone who hit their goals today. We all know what a long road it's been.

-sol

as Miley Cyrus says: everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days

if you take it again it would be worthless....your already pretty high so i wouldnt worry about it...your done..never worry about the mcat again...you passed the 30 mark and i bet you are practically a genius

i wouldnt worry to much...follow Miley's example..shes got the best of both worlds

yo.. appreciate the advice dude! n thx for the compliment hahah but I'm just a hard working bum trying to make it in life :) Anyways yeah thats wut many told me but its just this feeling inside that I can do much better. I guess I'm gonna wrap up the mcat chapter and go burn my books now! It should be good enuff and in the end no one gives a daymn about 1/2pt diff here or there.

yo.. appreciate the advice dude! n thx for the compliment hahah but I'm just a hard working bum trying to make it in life :) Anyways yeah thats wut many told me but its just this feeling inside that I can do much better. I guess I'm gonna wrap up the mcat chapter and go burn my books now! It should be good enuff and in the end no one gives a daymn about 1/2pt diff here or there.
Good call! I got the same score and it was also 3 points lower than my practice test average. I know it sucks to not get your average score, but...oh well! That score is more than good enough. Congrats!

Yo! I just checked my scores. I took the test on June 13th and did terrible PS: 9 VS: 3 BS: 8 WS: Q. Yeah, that's right a friggin' 20Q. I cried so much because I studied so hard for it and was scoring between 27-30 on Kaplan and 26-30 on AAMC. But I regrouped, and forgot about my prior performance. This time I got a PS: 10 VS: 8 BS: 9 WS: Q...27Q. I am so happy! I would like to tell anyone who did not get what they wanted, and need to retest TO NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Congrats.

Responding to "hopeful2013"

I'd recommend studying with the examkrackers series. They've got the best test prep materials out there (in my opinion). My verbal score went from a 7 on the practice tests to a 12 on the real thing. Good luck

Have to second this... It has been 8-10 years since Chem I/any Physics/Bio and I only got 4 weeks into the 10 week schedule on EK. Ended up with the following:

PS:8
VR:11
BS:11

The only reason why my PS was so low was all the optics/light/electromagnetism stuff on there. Hadn't even gotten to any of it in review, last time I saw it in class was 8 years ago.

I had only done 1/3 of the problems for those 4 weeks, and hadn't even touched the 101 verbal problems. VERY happy with my score to study ratio!

If anybody wants my EK stuff, didn't put a mark in it... PM me. I have the study books/audio osmosis/all the 1001 books/101 verbal/16 mini MCATS Half the books haven't even been opened! :laugh:

Congrats everybody!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

i just got my scores of VR 6, PS 5, and BS 8, with a writing sample of R

i scored 27-30 on practice tests....i have NO idea that id do this bad....i retook the test on sept 12

should i bother applying?? i recently submitted amcas

is this even worth it? do i even have a shot at carribean schools or do schools!?!?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

See what your Sept 12 scores are before you can guess whether you have a shot this year. I don't think that 19 is going to cut it for any U.S. schools. That R for a writing sample is a good strong score, but it won't do anything to offset that 5 in PS.

Your best bet would be probably be to wait a year before applying. Get those September scores and see if you they are high enough that you don't need to do another retake, and concentrate on ways that you can strengthen your overall application for next year. Beef up everything that you can between now and next June. There are times when waiting an extra year is better for you in the long run.

2pm test taker,

PS: 14
VR: 11
BS: 15
WS: Q

40Q, first time test taker, no prep courses (read EK on my own), can't complain!

Got a 30R (11 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS) and a 4.0 GPA...does anyone think I should retake the MCAT since there's a pretty big discrepancy between my MCAT score and the GPA? I feel like a 30 is kinda on the borderline. Thanks for anyone's input!

Hey guys! Got my scores. First Mcat.

PS-9
V-8
BS-7

24Q. 4.0 Gpa. Senior in college. Should I even apply or is it too late and my score def. not good?

Help! Really depressed about this.

Well with such a good GPA, I think you would still be competitive at DO schools. If your heart is set on MD's, though, I think it would be better to retake next April. Spend a year working and doing clinical volunteering. Your app would be awesome.

Hey guys! Got my scores. First Mcat.

PS-9
V-8
BS-7

24Q. 4.0 Gpa. Senior in college. Should I even apply or is it too late and my score def. not good?

Help! Really depressed about this.

I think you should retake if u r planning on getting into an MD school.......for DO school........I think it's fine

my score..........pretty crappy

PS- 10 <--- was expecting an 11
VR- 9
BS-9 <---- wat the?......never got that score in practice.....like......ever

anyway.........time for me to move on

Last time, August 2006:

VR: 10
PS: 10
BS: 08
W: Q

This time:

VR: 12
PS: 10
BS: 11
W: O

33-O! Kaplan rocks! Came down in writing...but hey, it works for me. Congrats everyone!