August 15 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cumberland_Doc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
August is coming fast. For those of you August 15th MCAT folks, post your thoughts, preparation, and questions here.

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you withdraw an application you've already submitted and paid for? :confused:

My GPA/research/honors/EC's/leadership/clinical experiences are excellent, but this score is really heart breaking and too low for me to want to continue to apply. It's much lower than my practice averages. I don't know what happened. I'm in shock, really. :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to get it over with, I still have night mares about sweaty goats...

I'm going to guess

P: 8
V: 12
B: 9

I think I deserve an extra point or two because I just about nailed my results. Predicted were:
P 8
V 12
B 9

Actual
P 8
V 11
B 9

ONE POINT OFF!!!!! Nailed physics and biology. Too bad I did not nail it on the test.

I think I deserve an extra point or two because I just about nailed my results. Predicted were:
P 8
V 12
B 9

Actual
P 8
V 11
B 9

ONE POINT OFF!!!!! Nailed physics and biology. Too bad I did not nail it on the test.
Wow...that's crazy close to your predicted score!
Honestly, with a good GPA/ecs and if you apply broadly, you have a good chance!

i was out celebrating...just came back now (12.51am) here

PS 12
VR 11
BS 11

34 R!!!!!!!!!!!!

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!! thanks for your support guys...the waiting killed me but i did much better than anticipated (was hardly breaking 30s on practice)

i wrote the 2pm exam

9 PS :(
10 VR
11 BS

for a total of 30Q ... **** i wish i had one higher in PS but hopefully a balanced 30 is okay :confused:

PS 12
VR 11
BS 11

34 R!!!!!!!!!!!!

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss!! thanks for your support guys...the waiting killed me but i did much better than anticipated (was hardly breaking 30s on practice)
haha congrats! It's always great when people score above their average...it's a beautiful surprise, right? :thumbup:

Hey guys, this is my break down:

Verbal: 8
Physics: 12
Biology: 10
Writing: Q
total: 30Q

Overall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 4.0
Publication: 1 and a senior thesis
+ large amounts of service, healthcare employment, etc...

This was my 2nd MCAT, I made a 27 Q on my first one (dropped 1 point in Bio) . How do you think I stand? I applied to my in-state schools, along with other institutions like UVA, Emory, Vanderbilt, and Loyola (Chicago). Do you think these credentials will be competitive? Should I retake the MCAT in January if there is still enough time? Please let me know, thanks!

Hey guys, this is my break down:

Verbal: 8
Physics: 12
Biology: 10
Writing: Q
total: 30Q

Overall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 4.0
Publication: 1 and a senior thesis
+ large amounts of service, healthcare employment, etc...

This was my 2nd MCAT, I made a 27 Q on my first one (dropped 1 point in Bio) . How do you think I stand? I applied to my in-state schools, along with other institutions like UVA, Emory, Vanderbilt, and Loyola (Chicago). Do you think these credentials will be competitive? Should I retake the MCAT in January if there is still enough time? Please let me know, thanks!

i think it looks pretty good, the only thing is the 8VR but everything else might offset that

Members don't see this ad :)
ok for Louisiana, you have a great shot with a 3.9/30Q/great ECs (and a pub!). You should have a good shot at loyola. Vandy, emory, and UVA should be a little harder, but not completely out of reach.

Well thanks everyone. Congrats on yalls scores!!!!!! I was freaking out after mine, as I am sure yall were too. Peace!

I got a 26M. You did better than me. Don't be crushed. The MCAT is one of the most important things for you app but it's not everything. I work at one of the best hospitals in the country (University of Washington Medical Center) and the doctors around here are telling me to apply anyways. They say that the quality of the school you go to is over-rated, it's how you do once you're there and how you do on the USMLE that really counts for your future. There are some schools (albeit a few) out there that have an average MCAT around that.

My plan: Apply this year without getting my hopes up. Plan on a retake next year! When life gives you lemons, buy a 12 pack of Corona.

good man. good man. proud of you

First time test taker (8 AM) and first time poster.

PS 11
VR 10
BS 11
WS P

Was doing slightly better on AAMC, but a lot of people tend to drop on test day for a variety of reasons. ~3.6 GPA and great ECs so I'm still ecstatic, and I love that the distribution of points is even.

Great job everyone

First time test taker (8 AM) and first time poster.

PS 11
VR 10
BS 11
WS P

Was doing slightly better on AAMC, but a lot of people tend to drop on test day for a variety of reasons. ~3.6 GPA and great ECs so I'm still ecstatic, and I love that the distribution of points is even.

Great job everyone

Congrats! Pretty score!

I have a question, should i re-submit the AMCAS application or the scores will just automatically be transfered to the schools?

i will appreciate any advice:

8/15 mcat: 25:(

PS 8
VS 8
BS 9

i'm a senior but will be taking an extra year to complete my courses. I also haven't shadowed yet;

i took kaplan to prepare w/ these practice test avgs:

kaplan tests #1-6 avg: 26
PS 10
VS 7
BS 9

aamc tests #3-10 avg: 25
PS 9 (range 8-11)
VS 6
BS 9 (range 8-10)

I was suprised i got 2 pts higher on VS than on my practice scores, but thought i could pull a decent score on the sciences. If i retake, how would i prepare? retake kaplan? should i retake their practice tests or use their question bank?

I was suprised i got 2 pts higher on VS than on my practice scores, but thought i could pull a decent score on the sciences. If i retake, how would i prepare? retake kaplan? should i retake their practice tests or use their question bank?

You probably should not retake until you get consistent 8-10's on VR. A 6 at most US allopathic schools just does not fly. For this, I would recommend the examkrackers verbal reasoning strategy book and their VR practice book. Studying for VR must be taken the same as the other two sections... studying/working at it, not just taking tests.

How you prepare for the sciences is not a big deal. You MUST have all content down like you know the back of your hand. You should hit 10's with really good content review, and higher once you can read the test better. You should take at least 5-10 or so practice tests, but REVIEW them in great detail. There are many threads that describe these things. Check the MCAT 30+ study habits thread.

My GPA/research/honors/EC's/leadership/clinical experiences are excellent, but this score is really heart breaking and too low for me to want to continue to apply. It's much lower than my practice averages. I don't know what happened. I'm in shock, really. :(

How low are we talking? If everything else is good, you never know... Are you applying MD, DO, or both?

Don't know what to do....

June 13: 19O
PS -6
VB -7
BS -6

Retook August 15: 26M
PS-7
VB-10
BS-9

Overall GPA:3.8
Science GPA:3.7

Improved 7 pts in 2 months, but with the 7 in PS do I still have a chance?.....

Don't know what to do....

June 13: 19O
PS -6
VB -7
BS -6

Retook August 15: 26M
PS-7
VB-10
BS-9

Overall GPA:3.8
Science GPA:3.7

Improved 7 pts in 2 months, but with the 7 in PS do I still have a chance?.....

Sure! Apply early & broadly. It's a great improvement that will be noted. Even though your PS is low, it shouldn't completely knock you out of the running - some schools do require 8's, so check your MSAR and don't turn in secondaries at the top tier schools you question (save a little money). If all else fails and you can't find the info, email or call the admissions offices. Best of :luck:.

So i'm pleasantly surprised at my scores.

PS- 12
VR- 11
BS-8
WS- M hahah
For a total of 31M

My only concern is the 8 in BS. I have about a 3.5 right now and just started my junior year. Do you guys think the 8 will hurt me?

Can anyone give me some advice on reapplying? I've taken the advice of the admissions committee and retaken the MCAT (came up) and I'm taking some more bio classes right now. I guess my main question is: how much, if at all, I should change/update my personal statement? Thanks!

So before this thread disappears forever, I figure I might as well get my situation out there for comments from my knowledgeable colleagues, especially since the "Retake?" thread doesn't seem to be very active.

Well, I got a 32Q for my first MCAT. Good score, but to be frank, I had higher expectations. I really studied my butt off, like crazy obsessively. I took 13 practice tests, between MCAT and AAMC, and for both, my averages were about 36.5. Near the end, once I had finished content review my scores were 35-40.

So I'm thinking I should retake. Obviously I don't want to study for this thing again, and there's the risk of doing worse.

However, taking the test in Jan/Feb/March wouldn't delay my application at all. I graduated in May 2008, and my plan has been to take two years off to work at a med school. Partially because I want to see if medicine is really what I want, but partially so I could spruce up my application a bit. I mean, my application is probably "good." 3.7 GPA, lots of research (published), child care counselor, athlete, etc. You know, a solid applicant, but not spectular. So I really went in viewing the MCAT as an opportunity to distinguish myself so I could have a chance at maybe some top 20 schools I've been eying.

So essentially, studying again would suck, but I can afford to do so, in terms of time.

One small problem is that I don't feel like I did anything really wrong during my preparation. I did the Kaplan stuff online, so I was thinking I would try EK this time around, but my prep wouldn't be drastically different. I knew the content, I did tons of practice tests, I reviewed them over and over, took tests under simulated conditions, etc. Basically I am of the opinion that I just "crapped the bed" on my test day.

I mean, I want to be realistic here. 32 is a good score. But I feel like my practice tests have shown that I am capable of doing better, and don't want to sell myself short.

Please, I would be thrilled for any advice from you folks at all. Tell me I'm crazy for thinking retake, or anything, just give me your opinion!

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some advice on reapplying? I've taken the advice of the admissions committee and retaken the MCAT (came up) and I'm taking some more bio classes right now. I guess my main question is: how much, if at all, I should change/update my personal statement? Thanks!

Completely rewrite it. It's a pain, but that's the trend of advice...

I would like as many people to reply if you feel it is necessary/helpful/insightful...

I just looked at my scores and saw:
PS: 8
VR: 9
BS: 9
W: N
Total: 26

And I'm crushed. Really crushed. I don't know what to think or do.. Please help

I know you feel crushed... I was in your situation last year (Aug 2007). The MCAT can sure stomp and beat you, but it cant strip you of your dedication and motivation. Keep your head high and proceed with plan B. If you never devised a plan B... there's no time like the present.

With a little hard work and persistence you can accomplish anything... it worked for me (I got my 30 this time around).

Always remember,
"Intelligence without ambition is like a bird without wings."
-Salvador Dali

Go make things happen.

I feel you, I got way lower than my practice averages as well. Kinda fustrating when most people get at least their averages or even higher. Im planning to retake because I know I can do much better! :D

And I dont know in your case, but here in Texas we have a few schools that are known to overlook MCAT scores the rest of your application is good. So if you have a good GPA and all that other stuff, you should def. not withdraw your secondary apps, espcially if you paid for them already habibi!!:thumbup:

PS 12
VR 11
BS 11

34 R!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job! im planning on retaking, hopefully I can get lucky like you did!!

How low are we talking? If everything else is good, you never know... Are you applying MD, DO, or both?

Only MD. I have a 3.96 cum. My score was 4 points less than my averages in every subsection. I guess it's just not my time for Medical School :(.

I took my mcat for the first time and got a 30 R. I got a 9 in PS, 11 in VS, and 10 in BS. I was getting 33's consistently on practice exams though so I'm considering retaking it. The main reason is I'm concerned about the 9 in PS. I'd really appreciate any advice thanks!

Only MD. I have a 3.96 cum. My score was 4 points less than my averages in every subsection. I guess it's just not my time for Medical School :(.

come on dude dont say that! if you dont think its your time for medical school, let that be a personal desicsion, dont let some stupid test decide for you! Im sure if you retake you will do a lot better. I dont even care that i got a lot lower than my averages on this previous test, since i know i will do a lot better on the retake

I feel you, I got way lower than my practice averages as well. Kinda fustrating when most people get at least their averages or even higher. Im planning to retake because I know I can do much better! :D

And I dont know in your case, but here in Texas we have a few schools that are known to overlook MCAT scores the rest of your application is good. So if you have a good GPA and all that other stuff, you should def. not withdraw your secondary apps, espcially if you paid for them already habibi!!:thumbup:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's so admirable you have such a strong confidence even though you didn't feel you performed well. Right now I just don't see myself turning around and having the confidence again to tackle the exam without having major anxiety about it.

If the reasons you want to be an MD/DO remain the same, you love the essay or have nothing new to add, I wouldn't change it!

I took my mcat for the first time and got a 30 R. I got a 9 in PS, 11 in VS, and 10 in BS. I was getting 33's consistently on practice exams though so I'm considering retaking it. The main reason is I'm concerned about the 9 in PS. I'd really appreciate any advice thanks!

I found this excel sheet on SDN yesterday. Just type in your GPA and MCAT scores. It really puts into perspective how your GPA and MCAT are evaluated by each school. MCAT and GPA is only part of it. For some schools MCAT is more important. For other schools GPA is more important. I'm not sure if it's accurate or updated but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to check it out.

I found this excel sheet on SDN yesterday. Just type in your GPA and MCAT scores. It really puts into perspective how your GPA and MCAT are evaluated by each school. MCAT and GPA is only part of it. For some schools MCAT is more important. For other schools GPA is more important. I'm not sure if it's accurate or updated but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to check it out.

Hey I made that! :D

You know... I made an updated version with latest MSAR numbers... It's labeled as "School Selector 09-10" Just an FYI. It's in the What's My Chances section. Glad to be of help!

Hey I made that! :D

You know... I made an updated version with latest MSAR numbers... It's labeled as "School Selector 09-10" Just an FYI. It's in the What's My Chances section. Glad to be of help!

Thanks, it's great. Can you post your new version, I couldn't find it.

PS 12
VR 11
BS 11

34 R!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is giving me some hope on otherwise depressing wait for my scores to be released.:oops:

my plan....

i break a 30...i pick the countries

i get an interview...i pick the cities

i get an acceptance...i book the flight

40 days backpacking europe...june 2009

Nice job! im planning on retaking, hopefully I can get lucky like you did!!

good luck man, i was getting 30/31/30/32 ish on the practice, but i went over the exams and made sure i knew what i was doing wrong/go over concepts i didn't know, so make sure u do that!

I got this:

PS: 11
VR: 6
BS: 8

Total: 25M

My BS and PS would be higher but i had to guess on like 5-7 questions for both because i ran out of time for those sections. This is also my first time taking it and I never took any computerized MCAT (such as on e-mcat). For VR i just bought the 101 EK book. I will be taking the test again as I know i can break 30+. Any other suggestions/input would be highly appreciated.

8 am

VR: 10
PS: 12
BS: 11
WS: S

33S... couldnt be happier

for those who didnt get what they hoped for, keep ya heads up. the beast can be beaten, just keep truckin.