Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

August 2003 MCAT takers who applied the same year

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Apparition, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

How did you do in the process and on the MCAT? Is it worth applying late with about 3.5 GPA? When did you submit your application? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. derf

derf Ohio Land
    7+ Year Member

if you get a 34+ MCAT, taking august should pose NO problem whatsoever. Its only when you score around 28-32 that the august test can hurt you. good luck!

4. tbo

tbo MS-4
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know you're looking for actual personal accounts of success or failure, but I'd say submit your AMCAS as soon as you can, and just focus on your MCATs. If you're concerned, just be mentally prepared with a Plan B and apply again. If finances or time are of concern, apply to a select few schools this year (only schools you would jump at if accepted)--if you don't get in, re-apply next year. Do a search on 'august mcat AND applying'. One is listed below.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114991&highlight=august+mcat+applying

5. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    if you have a 3.5 which is a solid gpa...and can score doubles in each section on the mcat, then overall you should be competitive...a couple months late but should recieve interview invites regardless...

you shouldnt be hurt too much at non-rolling schools, but might get backlogged at rolling ones...

but if you are going to apply...you really cant wait to apply after you get your score...you need to submit it at the earliest moment possible...june...so that you can at least get some secondaries and complete them as some schools will send them to you once they download your amcas app.

so if you felt good on your test...then id say take a chance and go apply.
    good luck.

6. SoulRFlare

SoulRFlare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hehe...I just got an interview rejection the other day!

I do think i was at a slight disadvantage taking the august mcat, but i made sure to have all my other app materials in as early as possible. i ended up getting 10 interviews and 4 acceptances (still waiting to hear from one school post interview), so it is possible.

7. lizzylu

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My friend took the August MCAT and applied this year. She ended up doing great, acceptances at 3 UCs, USC, Oregon, and maybe another one. However, to be fair she did rock the MCAT. So just study up, do your practice tests and you'll be fine!
    Good luck!

8. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

Turn in your AMCAS early! Get secondaries back really fast! My AMCAS was turned in end july/early aug. I turned secondaries back within a day of receiving them, even the ones with several essays! Received my 1st acceptance in Dec.
    I was an average applicant, with great ECs.

9. maswe12

maswe12 Member
    7+ Year Member

I disagree...i think applying late is a problem regardless.

10. meowmixer

meowmixer Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey, I took the MCAT in August and submitted my AMCAS on November 1st at midnight. I definitely don't recommend doing this! I have gotten into three schools and been waitlisted at three, but I didn't even get the chance to apply to a lot of schools I really wanted to attend. :( If you end up going the August route, I'd suggest at least submitting your AMCAS nice and early, so that the only thing the schools'll be waiting for is your score. Good luck!

11. ZekeMD

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I took the August 2003 exam and applied this year and did just fine.

12. Ozymandsss

Ozymandsss Member
    7+ Year Member

I took the August MCAT last year. I ended up getting into four schools, including my top choice, but a) I really rocked the MCAT (though my GPA is only around 3.3) and b) I wanted to jump out a window from the stress of late interviews all year. Doing the August/Same year thing is not something I would recommend to anyone because it was really stressful, but in the end, it works out. Just make sure you do your AMCAS and your secondary apps like a madman. Submit AMCAS during the first week you are able to and fire off a few secondaries before the MCAT. Take two days or so after the MCAT to recuperate and then go to town on the rest of your secondaries. If you take the August MCAT, you already have that going against you, so don't give them any other reasons to not look at your file such as sending apps in late or slopily done.

13. JayMiranti

JayMiranti Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree..

28 (10, 9 9) August of this year.. 5 interviews only waitlists so far... i definitely think it hurt my chances, since i ended up getting rejected from NYMC and Drexel but waitlisted at Einstein and Georgetown. I have a 3.6 from U. rochester and good Ecs including EMT, but its looking like next year mihgt be my year if i get things in earlier and have some luck at the easier schools.

14. javandane

javandane He's so hot right now
    7+ Year Member

if you don't mind me asking, what was your score, and what schools did you apply to? my GPA is similar to yours, and i'll be talking the august MCAT. looking for anecdotal success from someone who's been in my situation.

15. lilgecko

lilgecko Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Meowmixer...one other problem is that if you get interviews in the winter months, and are flying (especially thru Chicago), there may be weather problems. One interview cost me >$700 in airfare because the first time there was a storm at O'hare and I couldn't get a flight to the school. Plus the interview was rescheduled to a month later and given rolling admissions, that is a month less of open spots.

While everything worked out fine in the end (seven interviews/two acceptances - and my gpa is like the op's), I wish that I'd had enough confidence that my scores would be good to submit my application before 9/1.

16. patuit79

patuit79 Junior Member

i agree...
    submit your application as soon as possible and then study your butt off for the august mcat. i was in the same position last summer. in fact, my gpa was 3.5 too. i submitted my amcas in late june and then took the mcat in august. it was a gamble but in the end it worked out (V-11, P-9, B-8, WS-R). Due the uncertainty of my mcat scores and in an effort to save money, i applied to only 15 schools. i have great ec's including 3 years experience as a medical assistant, 3 months working in guatemala in medical missions, and a summer at yale attending mmep.
    my suggestions...
    If you do submit your amcas in june, you'll probably end up getting secondaries from schools immediately after. in my case, instead of completing every secondary that came my way, i chose them strategically on the basis of what i thought my possible mcat score would be and whether or not i thought i had a realistic chance of getting into the school. basically, i held off on the all the secondaries that were sent to me BEFORE i took the mcat (georgetown, drexel, baylor). mcat scores are a huge part of the screeing process, so i figured any school who sent me a secondary pre-results just wanted my money. i saved a lot this way. after my scores came back in october, i received more secondaries (about 1-2 weeks later), which i filled out and sent back. i sent secondaries to university of hawaii, ucla-drew, usc, robert wood johnson, loma linda and stanford (all them came by the end of october). i got interview invites at all but stanford with UH interview in early december and my usc and ucla-drew interview in mid-february. and i got accepted to usc in early march, ucla-drew in march and university of hawaii in mid december. overall the experience was great, a little stressful at times and very expensive but no where near impossible. i'll be attending UH in july..Yeah!!
    all this to say, it is very possible to take your august mcat and get an average/below average score and still have a great application year. well, that's my opinion. study hard and confidently and you'll do great.