August 2015 MCAT for MD, TOO LATE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Servetheunderserved

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am planning to apply this 2016 application cycle for MD programs.
I have a very strong application as I was selected as the valedictorian of my college with the GPA of 3.993, have an extensive research experience with a publication, many clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours, as well as great leadership roles through on campus organizations.
My concern is that I have yet to take my first MCAT, and I do not think I will be ready until July/August.
I am currently signed up for the July 17th MCAT, but I would really like to postpone it to August 22nd.
Would that be too late for my MD application?

I will be submitting my AMCAS application by 6/15 to have it verified. I will also be writing the secondaries before my MCAT score comes out, so I can submit them asap.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

That is indeed very late, but your GPA is very good. If you score the equivalent to a 35+ on the old MCAT as your GPA indicates is possible, you should get some IIs and acceptances even in spite of the late app. For best results, it would be in your interest to wait until next cycle unless you are ok just getting in anywhere

That is indeed very late, but your GPA is very good. If you score the equivalent to a 35+ on the old MCAT as your GPA indicates is possible, you should get some IIs and acceptances even in spite of the late app. For best results, it would be in your interest to wait until next cycle unless you are ok just getting in anywhere
Then would you recommend just take the July 17th MCAT even if I may not do as well on it? July MCAT won't be considered too late, and may be the other parts of my application can make up for the MCAT score?

Tbh July MCAT is still somewhat late. Even if you got scores back in a month it would still be a little late, and I think it takes longer for the new MCAT. You should never rush your MCAT, take it only when you are ready. If you think you can be ready by July 17th, then by all means take it and give it a shot, but it would probably be best for you to take your time, prepare well, and apply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh July MCAT is still somewhat late. Even if you got scores back in a month it would still be a little late, and I think it takes longer for the new MCAT. You should never rush your MCAT, take it only when you are ready. If you think you can be ready by July 17th, then by all means take it and give it a shot, but it would probably be best for you to take your time, prepare well, and apply next year.
Then I will be taking 2 gap years before my admission. Wouldn't that also play a disadvantage for my application?

Are you already on a gap year? I just assumed you were finishing junior year like most first time applicants. What you do from here is completely at your discretion, just know that a bad MCAT is a death sentence for an application, especially if you apply later in the cycle. If you think you can score the new equivalent to a ~30 on the MCAT, I wager you should get into some MD school. However with that terrific GPA, a good MCAT could place you in a top 20ish school. So based on this information, it is up to you to decide when you will be ready and what kind of school you want to attend.

I am on the same boat, except that my GPA isn't that great and I have a truly terrible MCAT score from the previous version of the test.

I believe that by the time August rolls around I will be more prepared but I know I must knock it out of the PARK!

If you are applying D.O. an August MCAT date would not be too late, as their application cycle is much longer than MD schools.

Best of luck!

OP, I just asked my school's pre-health counselor this exact same question. She said that you're obviously at a disadvantage because of the time frame, but that she's seen competitive applicants get in to MD schools when applying late plenty of times. The choice is up to you.

Regarding people saying to wait another year: seriously? OP, you're competitive, you've got a genuine shot at it this year. Unless you have your eyes set on one and only one particular school, I say go for it. I'm in the same boat as you (Aug. 6th MCAT) and I'm giving MD a shot.