August 8th vs August 14th MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshdoe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to apply this cycle and am currently debating between an August 8th and August 14th date. I know they are just a week apart but that week will give me the time to fit in 1-2 more practice tests if need be. After looking at Gonnif's timeline, it is looking like I can at the minimum be on time.

I will be initially submitting my AMCAS to a throwaway school during the first week of July so I could get verified sometime in August and add schools without a delay as soon as my MCAT score comes out to receive secondary forms ASAP. After either MCAT date, I plan to pre-write my secondaries so I can turn them in as soon as I formally get them.

If I take the August 8th test, my scores will come back Sept 9th and if I take the August 14th I will get scores back Sept 15th. My plan is to have all my secondaries and LOR's completed by the end of September or 1st week of October latest. If I add all my schools on say September 16th after getting my scores, do you guys think I will get all the forms in time to submit by the end of September, assuming I've pre-written all of them and I just need to copy and paste or should I take the test August 8th?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would shoot for August 8th. At the same time, submitting your application a week later won't make or break your application, but in the same vein, 1 week will likely not make a huge change in your MCAT preparation. Just do whatever you personally feel more comfortable with.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, sounds like a personal decision then. Just wanted to confirm that it wouldn't affect me negatively in anyway as the end of September is usually the typical on time due date for everything. Thanks!

Ok, sounds like a personal decision then. Just wanted to confirm that it wouldn't affect me negatively in anyway as the end of September is usually the typical on time due date for everything. Thanks!
There is a two week turnaround for all test dates now!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw haha that's awesome. I'll definitely do the 14th now and it's nice to know if I'm not ready, I could fall back on the August 29th date as a last resort too :)

Would an August 15 test date w a score release of sept 1 be late or put me at a disadvantage if I don’t add any schools until I have my score

Hi, I'm planning to apply this cycle and am currently debating between an August 8th and August 14th date. I know they are just a week apart but that week will give me the time to fit in 1-2 more practice tests if need be. After looking at Gonnif's timeline, it is looking like I can at the minimum be on time.

I will be initially submitting my AMCAS to a throwaway school during the first week of July so I could get verified sometime in August and add schools without a delay as soon as my MCAT score comes out to receive secondary forms ASAP. After either MCAT date, I plan to pre-write my secondaries so I can turn them in as soon as I formally get them.

If I take the August 8th test, my scores will come back Sept 9th and if I take the August 14th I will get scores back Sept 15th. My plan is to have all my secondaries and LOR's completed by the end of September or 1st week of October latest. If I add all my schools on say September 16th after getting my scores, do you guys think I will get all the forms in time to submit by the end of September, assuming I've pre-written all of them and I just need to copy and paste or should I take the test August 8th?

Thanks for your help!
I have this same plan...would it really not put us at a disadvantage bc most people would have submitted primaries with scores long before us? Would we still be on time?

As long as you submit your secondaries before labor day, you should be fine for majority of the schools. Remember that schools start sending interview invites around September, but the interview cycle lasts until April, so completing your application by labor day shouldn't affect your chance that much. Most importantly, DON'T TAKE THE TEST UNTIL YOU ARE READY.