August MCAT acceptances/ nontrad student, please read!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christiangirl

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi you all. Well, another rejection letter came for me today and another waitlist letter. I have a question. How many of you August MCATers got in? Also, did the only ones who got in have 35+ MCATs? Finally, what could I do to speed the process along next year as I will be taking the August MCAT? I absolutely cannot take the April MCAT, because I have not been studying due to having delusions that I would get in, since I was getting interviews. I know to have my application in by June, but did any of you try to call the non-screening schools ahead of time and get secondaries? Or did you have success on this forum on getting the essay topics ahead of time, so that you could at least have them written?
frown.gif
Any and all advice would be appreciated. Also, those of you non-trads who worked while you studied and got great scores, any advice. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Christiangirl (edited 03-17-2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

non trad w/ August MCAT. Applied to 2 schools only and was accepted to my state school. (fairly bad MCAT; 8v8p9b)

I will be the first to tell you that the region in which you live plays a big role. In the southern states, many people take the August MCAT and don't seem to be penalized for it. At least from what I have witnessed in Arkansas and Tennessee.

Hey Christiangirl, sorry to hear about the news. Question for you though -- how many schools did you apply to, because it sounds like you've been getting some pretty good interviews -- were you just very selective in the schools that you applied to? Anyways, I was working full-time while I studied for the MCAT, and I did ok (33). I basically had no life -- I brought flashcards to study at work in case I had some downtime, and I arranged with my boss to come early in the mornings so I could leave earlier in the afternoons and maximize study/testing time at home or at Kaplan. I also used a week of my vacation time in the last month before the MCAT (I think it was 4 weeks before) to just have one block of non-stop practice/study time. It sounds like you would be able to give your work enough advanced notice about something like this, so it wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't very fun, and I didn't eat very well the last month or so (I felt like I never had time), but I got through it okay. If you start studying in April or May, you should be fine. And, I would guess that there's still a good chance for you to get off of some of those waitlists. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st time August (actually October, since they lost the originals) MCATer

28(retake)27(original...they found them in February)

accepted at (GREAT) state school two weeks ago

Non-trad

Christiangirl: I really can feel your frustration. Chi-chi and I are both non-trads and took the august MCAT. Additionally, we are California residents, so with the UCs, we have faced stiff competition among applicants, felt the blunt end of the rolling admissions factor, and learned that public institutions do not have very organized administrative offices (including their medical admissions offices). We applied to 7 schools in CA, but only got 2 interviews at the same schools--UCSF, the highest ranked, and UCI, the lowest ranked--go figure.

We actually did pretty well on the MCATs (both got 37s) and have solid GPAs (3.7 OA, 3.9 Sci), but it looks like that was simply good enough to put us on the waitlist at most schools. We both interviewed at 14 schools, Chi-Chi has gotten into 1 and I in 3. But the schools we really liked have either rejected us or waitlisted us. And schools we didn't like so much also gave us the boot. Half the schools we applied to (both highly ranked and lower ranked) didn't even want to grant us an interview. I think the late application factor is big and the process is random and mysterious.

Our activities are pretty solid--we have both been published on two papers, have a variety of volunteer experience, and I have even organized a trip to deliver med supplies and volunteer in Haiti. Our interviews have been fine and in some instances, they have said some suprisingly praising comments. Our interviewers have told us that we have very strong recs and some have really praised our essays. Yet our own alma mater (Stanford) which is supposedly known to be good to its own, didn't even grant us interviews. We just don't know what is the glaring flaw in our applications--aside from being a little older, not having a ton of medically-related volunteer activities, and taking the August MCAT.

We are really grateful that we have gotten into one school together, but the process really beat us down. It is hard to put so much effort (extra school years after doing undergrad studies, MCAT, 30-something secondaries, 14 interviews, $$$ on apps/flights/etc.) to get rejected and/or wait-listed to 30-something schools.

I feel a little weird about posting all this information on this site, even if it is semi-anonymous. I know there has been a bit of hostility in the recent past. I am grateful when people are specific about any and all information and if this level of specificity is offensive to anyone, I apologize.

The waitlist is a bit weird for us since we are trying to get into the same school, but from what others have said, it seems likely that it will work out for you in the end.

Christiangirl,
I thought you had some interviews? Are you sure you aren't going to get in? I haven't gotten in yet but I still think that I will.

I've probably posted these stats to death, but I got a 34T on the Aug. MCAT, have a 3.98BCMP/3.92 GPA from Canada's best undergrad. Applied to 14 places, got 5 interviews, 1 reject post-interview, 3 waitlists, and 1 hasn't gotten back to me yet. I am refusing to give up! I don't think it's me at all- next time, I'll be applying as early as I can and I think (hopefully) that I'll have a pretty good shot.
(Also have 2 abstracts- 1st authored- at 3 pretty prestigious conferences).
The odds just don't seem to be very good for August MCATers in this random process- although maybe it *is* me, after all.

Christiangirl and Medgrrl, Your lack of confidence is disconcerting. I thought that if you were on a few waitlists then you had a pretty decent chance of getting in. I am in the same boat as you guys (non trad, august mcat, no acceptances yet, a few waitlists) do I need to be thinking about reapplying too? I thought I had a good chance and now you guys have me all worried.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">I thought that if you were on a few waitlists then you had a pretty decent chance of getting in... do I need to be thinking about reapplying too? I thought I had a good chance and now you guys have me all worried.[/B]•

Hey, sorry about that. Don't listen to me at all. My attitude these days has become, "expect the worst, then you won't be disappointed." So don't let my -ve attitude get to you. I'm SURE **YOU'LL** get in SOMEWHERE. I admire your optimism and your positivity- maybe you'll send some this way! Waitlists DO move, and we may well be getting phonecalls/ emails about just that in a few months...

and just remember...sometimes WEIRD things happen too! The school I was accepted at had sent me my "hold after interview" letter. I wasn't even ON a waitlist yet. When I interviewed they said that if you got put on hold, that they would finish interviewing the rest of the applicants(end of March/early April) and THEN establish a waitlist (or reject you). Imagine my surprise when I got my acceptance letter a couple of weeks ago (they haven't finished interviews yet!)!!!!!

Miracles DO happen! Keep your chin up!

Good Luck!
smile.gif

Hey yigit!! I'm sorry that my "lack of optimism" is depressing you. In all honesty, I do believe that it will work out one way or another. For me, I have held out hope for a long time and I can't do it anymore because I need to get myself in the mindset to kick butt on this MCAT. I should have switched gears a while ago to take the April MCAT, but what's done is done.
smile.gif
Anyway, people do move off of the waitlists, so don't lose faith. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I need to feel like I am doing something to guarantee I will go one year or another.
smile.gif
Thanks for the faith Cobragirl!! Hey medgrrl, did you interview at Duke a few weeks ago?

Hi there Christiangirl. I share your grief. I took the August MCAT, got interviews at many schools in my home state of Texas, and really felt I'd get in somewhere. Instead I got hit with 3 waitlists. I feel hopeful, but my condfidence moves just like a sine curve--it flags as regularly as it comes up. Here are my stats:

overall gpa 3.58
science gpa 3.8
MCAT 30 (9V, 12 PS, 9 BS, P), which I took before any organic coursework whatsoever.

masters degree; work experience in allied health profession

Like you I am thinking of retaking the Aug MCAT since I have now had both orgo and biochem. I also did not study for the April MCAT because I was pretty convinced I'd get in somewhere (also, it is easier to get into Tx schools). But I really think you should try to keep hope alive. And while you are being hopeful, also plan your next move, so that if all you get are rejections, you won't be hurting that badly.That's how I am organizing myself. I hope one of my 3 waitlist schools comes through, but I have also started studying for the MCAT (slowly). One of my weak points was lack of volunteer work, so I am presently volunteering in a medical clinic for homeless people while working more or less full time in a hospital and taking classes. Hope this helps!