August MCAT and Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qtpie055

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm here studying for finals...and had a question:

I'm taking the August MCATs and have signed up for Kaplan that doesn't start till early June. Now, they sent all the books already. Should i start working on them before the class...or just wait till the class starts?

Members don't see this ad.

I took Kaplan for the most recent MCAT. You can start glancing over the chapters in the subject books if you like, but you're not going to understand anything by looking at the Lesson Book. The Lesson Book is pretty much the only book you'll need to bring to class, and the others are for you to look at in your own time. Oh, and start memorizing the formulas on the laminated sheet now - it will help you in the long run. Hope this helps.

futured.o. said:
I took Kaplan for the most recent MCAT. You can start glancing over the chapters in the subject books if you like, but you're not going to understand anything by looking at the Lesson Book. The Lesson Book is pretty much the only book you'll need to bring to class, and the others are for you to look at in your own time. Oh, and start memorizing the formulas on the laminated sheet now - it will help you in the long run. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Did you feel Kaplan prepared you well for the MCATs? Did you regret not taking TPR instead?

I recently took Kaplan also for this year's april mcat. I would reccomend learning the hormones..where they are made, what part of the body they effect, and what they do. Hormones are a HUGE topic "supposedly" covered on the MCAT, but i honestly didn't see much of this tested on my exam in april. Nonetheless, it's really easy memorizing this, and there's definitely no harm in starting early! Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an instructor for Kaplan, and you should definitely go ahead and get started studying now if you're able. Read your user's guide and do the online MCAT orientation workshop, and start preparing for your first physics class (read the review notes and online physics workshop, and the foundation reviews if you need extra help in physics). You should write down any questions that come up while you study so that you can ask your instructor about them during class. I'd suggest that you wait to do the practice tests until after you start to attend your classes though. If you are finished prepping for physics before class starts, you can start prepping for gen chem. You're definitely on the right track to be so pro-active. :luck: and best wishes for the MCAT.

QofQ,

I'm in the same boat. Have 3 weeks off between finals and start of my Kaplan class. Should we take the online diagnostic before starting the class? Is it different than the in-class diagnostic given the first day?

Thanks for info.

Roselee

RoseLee said:
I'm in the same boat. Have 3 weeks off between finals and start of my Kaplan class. Should we take the online diagnostic before starting the class? Is it different than the in-class diagnostic given the first day?

If you're wanting to qualify for your higher score guarantee, wait to take the diagnostic until you get to your first class. You have to take it proctored at the center for it to count toward HSG. If you don't care about HSG or you're repeating, you can take it whenever you want. Actually, you can probably take the diagnostic early and still qualify for HSG if you call your center and ask them to let you come in one day and take the diagnostic. You should allow at least four hours to take it. But definitely ask your center manager first before taking any of the proctored tests (diagnostic, midterm, and final four full-lengths) at times other than when you've been scheduled so that you don't accidentally disqualify yourself. You can take any of the other practice tests (subjects, topicals, sections, and other full-lengths) whenever you want, but again, I'd suggest waiting until after you cover the material in class.