rebith75

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
I am taking the august mcat and was wondering how much of a dissadvantage a person is at when they apply to med school the same year they take the august mcats? If it is significant ill wait a year but really dont want to. Any advice would help thanks

thegoogler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
If you are a competitive applicant, it is definitely possible to be admitted with Aug. MCAT. I'm not saying there is no disadvantage, but it is surmountable, especially if you have the rest of your application in as early as possible (Part 1 BEFORE August). One difficulty I had in this situation is simultaneously working on applications and studying, but I was also working full-time. Something else to consider is that you won't know how well you did until October, which may guide your decision about where to apply, but if you are confident about your application and potential scores - go for it before you get scores back b/c Oct. is definitely too late to start applying. I speak from personal experience when I say you can do it if you set your mind to it.

I had 3 interviews and 1 acceptance (at my 1st choice) by mid-Jan. No delays, no stress - but maybe I was just lucky.

ElKapitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status
rebith75 said:
I am taking the august mcat and was wondering how much of a dissadvantage a person is at when they apply to med school the same year they take the august mcats? If it is significant ill wait a year but really dont want to. Any advice would help thanks
That is what I have done, it definitely limits you at some schools; schools that do rolling admissions. I think places like BU, where they are inundated with apps, tends to accept many students early in the year. Tufts, on the other hand, accepts an equal amount of people from three (or more) interviewing sessions.

You need to have good stats, then it won't be a problem. Also if you have one set of MCAT scores already, that helps as well. It will allow you to finish secondaries quicker.

I said what the hell, and it seems to be working for me, 6 interviews, but no decisions really, since all of the invites have been late in the season.

blump

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
Status
do it! I did and got some interviews at very good places. BUt, be prepared for delays and for some added stress

MrTee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
thegoogler said:
If you are a competitive applicant, it is definitely possible to be admitted with Aug. MCAT. I'm not saying there is no disadvantage, but it is surmountable, especially if you have the rest of your application in as early as possible (Part 1 BEFORE August). One difficulty I had in this situation is simultaneously working on applications and studying, but I was also working full-time. Something else to consider is that you won't know how well you did until October, which may guide your decision about where to apply, but if you are confident about your application and potential scores - go for it before you get scores back b/c Oct. is definitely too late to start applying. I speak from personal experience when I say you can do it if you set your mind to it.

I had 3 interviews and 1 acceptance (at my 1st choice) by mid-Jan. No delays, no stress - but maybe I was just lucky.
Great advice. If you have a 3.7+ and are hitting 33+ on your AAMC tests, and have good EC's/LORs you shouldn't face too many problems with getting into a decent school. But if you're more marginal, you might want to think about holding off a year if you want the greatest number of choices.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
It definitely hurt me. I had three schools send me the "you're in the interview pile, but we're not going to get to everyone" message. Three rolling schools rejected me (a phone call revealed they had just about filled their class). I didn't even hear from a bunch of schools until February. A few phone calls, and three others gave me the "your stats are higher than folks we've already admitted" spiel. I'm applying again the very first stinkin' day I can... already have a new PS written and ready for cut 'n paste.

newhavenjake

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
Could go either way. I've gotten 8 interviews but two have been for waitlist spots. Only once was I rejected because they weren't going to get to me.

If you're on it you can be complete in october.

So apply in august and if it doesn't work out apply again.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
i agree with ShyRem. The Aug MCAT definitely hurt me as well. I'm glad I applied to 30+ schools because several schools told me that I was good enough for interviews, but they don't have spots for me.

If you just want to get into medical school and don't mind where you're going, then taking the Aug MCAT shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you want to maximize the potential of your application and go to the highest ranked medical school, then I advise you to take the April mcat.

Take a look at my situation. I have a 3.83gpa, 33mcat, good EC, solid letters. If one has to guess which NYC schools I got interviews at, he or she would probably guess....AECOM, MSSM, and maybe Columbia. Nope, I got 0 interviews from these schools.

ShyRem said:
It definitely hurt me. I had three schools send me the "you're in the interview pile, but we're not going to get to everyone" message. Three rolling schools rejected me (a phone call revealed they had just about filled their class). I didn't even hear from a bunch of schools until February. A few phone calls, and three others gave me the "your stats are higher than folks we've already admitted" spiel. I'm applying again the very first stinkin' day I can... already have a new PS written and ready for cut 'n paste.

inthe4cast

What's in the 4-cast?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
No one here knows what your chances are, it's impossible to tell.

I was in your shoes, and decided to go for it - and it's been a rollercoaster - yes, there is a lot of stress, not only are you stressed for the mcat, you also have to get your application in order, which includes your letters of recommendation, your essays, and now that i've interviewed, I'm stressing about financial aid. But when it all works out, and if it pays off, its definitely worth it - and it's over.

It's a difficult process, and the more time you give yourself the better. But you have the flexibility to say hey, a year is a much longer time to wait, if I can pull it off and get in now, I'm a year up, and that's not a bad goal to work for.

NeuroDO

Neuro, D.O.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
New Haven, CT
Status
rebith75 said:
It's a tremendous disadvantage! If it all possible for you to wait, do so!

tulips

White Knight
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Atlanta
Status
It is very possible to get in to more than one great school if you take the August MCAT. That being said, I think it puts you at a severe disadvantage, and if you're trying to have the best possible chances, you should wait a year. Everyone I know who took the August MCAT had a few interviews in January and February, but most of them have only been accepted to one school maximum. I would never apply with an August MCAT - I think you should wait a year.

myodana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2004
BX, NY
Status
Medical Student
it's a gamble. do you really want to wait another year? i decided late that i wanted to take the mcat, studied from april-august '04, applied super early and was complete at most schools in october (when scores were released). i applied to 20 schools, had 3 interviews, and only one acceptance so far (luckily it's einstein, and i'm totally excited for next year). so yes, my chances were probably hurt by taking the august mcat, but that being said, i'm SO glad i didn't wait another year... i'm 26 now, and i just want to GO TO MED SCHOOL already! you can check out my mdapplicants page below if you want more specifics. good luck!

lightnk102

Wild Type
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Status
I'd agree with most of what is said here. However, if you take a look at the August MCAT acceptance thread, you'll see that there are August MCAT-ers who interviewed at top schools (Penn and Yale come to mind), and also get accepted. I wouldn't say your chances are squashed, but they're diminished. It's a bigger hurdle to get over. If you're aiming for a top 10 school, then I'd wait a year. If you're okay with getting into med school, period, then just apply and save yourself a year. I think the real question here is - do you want to wait another year? I didn't. For me, paying with an extra year of my life for the sake of a "brand name" wasn't worth it. You get your MD regardless, and it's not like only top med schools match at top hospitals. If you take a look at the attendings at MGH, you'll see that a lot of them graduated from supposedly "second tier" med schools.

The results of the August MCAT vary widely (I opted to take it in August). I had interviews into the double digits, and most of them happened in November and December with only 3 in January (and 3 acceptances). Its hard to predict where you'll end up. My GPA was significantly lower than SdnStud's, but I had an interview at Einstein. One thing you'll learn through this process is to not even try to predict the maneuverings of the admissions committees.

Good luck with your decision!