AUGUST MCAT: Content Review Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orbitaloverlap

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Who else is taking the MCAT in late August? What's your strategy for the content review?

After taking a TPR course in the midst of a very difficult semester, I've found that I couldn't really balance MCAT and school work. At first I was killing two birds with one stone: for my physics class I was studying from my MCAT book as well as for biochemistry- until the material in school became more involved and deviated from the MCAT-type stuff. After realizing that I will be severely under prepared and too stressed to do well on my much earlier anticipated test date I've decided to push the test back till August.

So far, I'm studying 7 days a week @ 5-6 hours on average. I'm focusing mainly on Gen Chem content at the moment and doing passages that TPR assigned for homework. I'm almost done with Gen Chem content but not with the homework passages. I also try to sprinkle in Verbal practice.

I plan on dividing the coming weeks into topical reviews rather than doing everything together. I feel this will help me absorb the information easier and with more clarity than jumbling everything together.

Do you guys think this is an efficient method? What are your strategies, all you late August MCATers? Any other TPR students who can relate?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh yeah, I'm taking it in August too. What I'm did is that I did an all out review on Biology, because I hadn't taken it forever.

Now, I'm trying to do lots and lots of practice questions, but I'm probably going to spent a few days reviewing Chemistry content and Physics content now. I'm using Kaplan and Exam Krackers review book to learn everything.

Hopefully sometime in July, I'll start doing practice exams and the plan is to go through both Kaplan exams and 8 AAMC exams.

Also, trying to juggle an English course on the side, lol...

Right now, I'm trying to hit 3 hours/day for studying. Some days its more and some days its less...

I'm also taking it late august and for the month of June, I'm only doing content review which includes, outlines EK books, making flash cards for hormones/formulas etc, practicing verbal everyday by doing two passages a day and going over yesterday's two passages.

I try to squeeze in some Audio Osmosis as well and am waiting for amazon to get the new EK verbal book. I'm going over my general chemistry text since I want to cover the material in depth at least once and then I'll start looking at my outlines.

Once July and August role around, I have about 18 practice tests that I will do, taking the whole two months. I will take one, then review it the next and then review topics I sucked on the most the day after that, while making some sort of spread sheet of the concepts I missed.

I try to study everyday at least 4hrs since I don't have a summer job yet and I'm trying to find someone to shadow as well.

Additionally, I go through the 30+ MCAT thread to find more advice and strategies for the exam.

Anyway, good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am taking the exam in August and following a similar approach to secants, but spending 2 months on content review (with 2-3 practice exams) and then 1 month on just practice exams/reviewing the exams.

In the 2 months I am going through drills, practice questions, "full-length" section exams that Kaplan provides, so hopefully I incorporate practice in that way as well. :)

I am taking mine on August 22nd. I am doing one subject at a time while taking a Kaplan classroom course. After this, I will just do practice test and review them. I like to review one subject completely before going into the next one. I think it helps me understand the concepts a lot better. Good luck to everyone!! We have got a little more than 2 months left!

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan @ prudvi. I did, however, finish my TPR course already.

@Tgi: Yes, I will be applying in 2009... I am pushing myself in the direction of the M.D. degree. The D.O. route, of course, will not be overlooked.

Any more August MCATers?

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan @ prudvi. I did, however, finish my TPR course already.

@Tgi: Yes, I will be applying in 2009... I am pushing myself in the direction of the M.D. degree. The D.O. route, of course, will not be overlooked.

Any more August MCATers?
Wait, you are applying this year for the entrance in 09 or you will be applying next year for the entrance in 2010?? I'm confused.

I'll be applying in 2009 to start in 2010. How about you?
What are you interested in, M.D. or D.O.?
I want a MD. I might apply to a few schools this year still, and then if I don;t have any success i will try again next year. didn't really wanted to wait a year though, but with the MCAt score i have now i won't get in anywhere, so i have to retake (aug 22). Plus i'm an international student, so i need to have a great MCAT score. So what schools are you looking at?