August MCAT good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbaap

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering if you knew anyone that got in with just taking the august mcat? I'm afraid that it will set me back in the whole application process. ie. spots will be filled before i even get (hopefully) an interview! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Good.... the way the application this year is going.... I'm sure you won't have any trouble.... IF you haven't noticed, there has been TONS of error in the application.... Thus making others late in turning it in.

If there is any year that taking the August MCAT is good, it's this year.... Application is slow, errorneous, and AMCAS is just combarded with problems....

Yes, I know of several people who get in with August MCATs..... Good Luck and....

WELCOME TO SDN!!! :D

Thanks for the confidence booster Popoy!!

I think Popoy summed it up best; if there ever was a year to take the August MCAT, this is it.

With that being said, in general I think the only times people are really hurt by the August MCAT is if their applications are marginally competitive, veering towards uncompetitive. If everything else in your application is in good shape (ie, high GPA, interesting extracurrics, some clinical experience, etc.), you should be fine -- lots of people get in with the August MCAT. If possible, try to turn your AMCAS in as early as possible, even though it is well before August. You will still get many secondaries without your scores having been received; complete these as quickly as possible, and send in your letters of rec at this point. That way, your application will be complete and ready to go at many schools once your MCAT scores are received. Good luck.