August MCAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordews

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok heres a question. I took the MCAT in april, and I just released my scores to AMCAS, and I am going to try and submit my AMCAS as soon as I can. I'm also planning on retaking the MCAT in august to try and raise my score some. (I had one low section grade) Do you think that schools will send me a secondary, and that I'll be able to get every part of my application complete, maybe even get an interview or something, and they will just be waiting on my august grades to make a decision. Or will it be that they won't send me a secondary, or grant me an interview until they see my august grades? Anyone know?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The schools may send you a secondary (some send everybody one, regardless of stats), but I'd guess that you won't have any interviews until after they receive your August MCAT scores. Some may not send secondaries until then (I'm not sure), but I would expect most of the to send yours when they send everyone else's.

Good luck. :)

hey here's another question about taking the august mcat--does anybody know how non-amcas schools (like texas schools or columbia) handle august mcat-takers? do you know if you can't submit your application until your scores get in or does it work similarly to the amcas app (where you can submit your app and then just wait for your scores)? does submitting your application later affect you negatively for texas schools? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey so sorry to be pushy and bump this post but does anybody have any insight on the questions from my previous post?

thanks out there!

I went through the same thing last year. Here is the deal as far as I what I experienced.

1. Northwestern, who does NOT send secondaries to everyone, sent me my secondary months before my MCAts were back.
2. Mount Sinai, who sends secondaries to EVERYONE, didn't send me one till they got my scores.
It seems as though the only way to know is to contact the adcom directly, or wait and see what turns up in the mail. The best thing to do is to tract down a friend with the secondaries you are expecting late, work on them, and have them ready to send right back when you get them. The only mitigating factor would be if your april scores were really bad, then they may not care to wait if they have a ton of applicants to wade throuhg. In that case I would defintely advise that you contact the schools and let them know that you would like them to consider your new scores.

Regarding Columbia, they do not have a rolling admissions process. They send out waves of acceptances and have explicitly stated that there is no disadvantage for August MCAT test takers. One of the rare cases :) If I remember the app correctly, you can send it off without entering MCAT scores and check that they will be coming.
Im not sure about Texas schools.

Hope that helps.