August MCAT Re-takers--- New Study Plan Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j-med

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you revising your study schedule? --- considering those suggested schedules found online (e.g. the EK 10-week one, BrettBachelor's) doesn't really apply, as they only suit people using the EK materials or others for the 1st time.

For starters, would you suggest to do a full review first anyways- just like those suggested schedules, (we have also 10 weeks starting this Sunday, but we can shorten that to save some weeks for attacking weak areas), or whether it is better to attack weak areas first before going back? What do you think and why?

If choosing the first, how much time after the full review would you reserve for reviewing the still weak areas? Say out of the 10 weeks, maybe 2 weeks? 3? or more?
Or for the latter choice, what proportion of the time do you think is a wise to spend doing that before doing a full review?

Other modifications?

Share your plan =]

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm going to going to do a full review for about 2 - 3 weeks (I noticed I'm beginning to forget some material already :mad: ). And then I will attack my problem areas.

I got mostly A's in all my English and literature classes and so I underestimated Verbal while studying for the April MCAT. Sadly, on the test I was only able to finish 6 passages and rushed thru the remaining 3 and so I'm not expecting a great verbal score :scared: But this time around I'm going to pay a lot of attention to VR. I got myself an EK and TPR verbal book...and I'm going to work those until my fingers bleed.

I was getting between 9 - 11 on the individual science sections and I will work a little bit harder to gain a point or two (or at least maintain those scores).

Here's my current plan (subject to change):

2 weeks: Full Review
2 weeks: Review weak areas
3 weeks: Practice, practice, practice
2 weeks: Review persistently weak/difficult areas
2 weeks: Practice, practice, practice

j-med said:
How are you revising your study schedule? --- considering those suggested schedules found online (e.g. the EK 10-week one, BrettBachelor's) doesn't really apply, as they only suit people using the EK materials or others for the 1st time.

For starters, would you suggest to do a full review first anyways- just like those suggested schedules, (we have also 10 weeks counting this week), or whether it is better to attack weak areas first before going back? What do you think and why?

If choosing the first, how much time after the full review would you reserve for reviewing the still weak areas? Say out of the 10 weeks, maybe 2 weeks? 3? or more?
Or for the latter choice, what proportion of the time do you think is a wise to spend doing that before doing a full review?

Other modifications?

:scared:
GuzzyRon said:
Yeah, I'm going to going to do a full review for about 2 - 3 weeks (I noticed I'm beginning to forget some material already :mad: ). And then I will attack my problem areas.

I got mostly A's in all my English and literature classes and so I underestimated Verbal while studying for the April MCAT. Sadly, on the test I was only able to finish 6 passages and rushed thru the remaining 3 and so I'm not expecting a great verbal score :scared: But this time around I'm going to pay a lot of attention to VR. I got myself an EK and TPR verbal book...and I'm going to work those until my fingers bleed.

I was getting between 9 - 11 on the individual science sections and I will work a little bit harder to gain a point or two (or at least maintain those scores).

Here's my current plan (subject to change):

2 weeks: Full Review
2 weeks: Review weak areas
3 weeks: Practice, practice, practice
2 weeks: Review persistently weak/difficult areas
2 weeks: Practice, practice, practice

Decided to retake it yesterday, I counted 43-44 days left until the August test. Memorize stuff every waking moment for the next 1 week or so using Examcrackers stuff(1001 questions). Then cover weak areas for 1 week. Then take full length practice exams every 2 days or so. I'm pretty free for the next month. Took it in April and got a 23N...

The earlier the better... :

dovebar said:
:scared:

Decided to retake it yesterday, I counted 43-44 days left until the August test. Memorize stuff every waking moment for the next 1 week or so using Examcrackers stuff(1001 questions). Then cover weak areas for 1 week. Then take full length practice exams every 2 days or so. I'm pretty free for the next month. Took it in April and got a 23N...

The earlier the better... :

Good luck...keep pushing...we will get through this. I started studying about two weeks ago. Just reviewing then diving straight into passages. I feel if I study how to attack questions my score will improve.

Once you started studying again did you feel" Hey...i really know this stuff" ....That is how I felt. So...practice .....rethink....practice....and see if I can get the hang of this crap.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

doc G said:
Good luck...keep pushing...we will get through this. I started studying about two weeks ago. Just reviewing then diving straight into passages. I feel if I study how to attack questions my score will improve.

Once you started studying again did you feel" Hey...i really know this stuff" ....That is how I felt. So...practice .....rethink....practice....and see if I can get the hang of this crap.. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks...good luck to you too. Keep updating. Now back to orgo. :luck: