August MCAT takers, did it hurt your chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any of you know whether the adcoms start reviewing our file even if the mcat scores haven't come out yet? (I'm taking the August mcat for the first time). The problem is, I didn't do so well this past spring semester, and I don't want them to reject me based on those grades alone (because I know they would!). I'm counting on doing well on the mcat, but I'm scared of sending the amcas (even though I know that it's better to send it out sooner than later). But based on my position, I'm not sure. I just want to make sure that the adcoms won't look at my application. Should I call the individual schools?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The smartest thing to do (if you want to start med school in 2004) is to submit the AMCAS application ASAP and then fill out all secondaries and have all LOR turned in before the Aug. MCAT scores are in. This is what I did last year and was invited to 8 interviews. The only thing the schools needed was the MCAT score, which came out in Oct. I then started to receive interviews in Nov. thru Feb. and was accepted to my top choice in Jan. It is not smart to wait until after the scores are out to submit everything because you'll be behind even more. They won't review your file until the Aug. MCAT scores come in but they can review they day that they do if you have evrything else turned in on time. Turn your stuff in ASAP and hope for a good MCAT score if you are looking to enter in 2004.

I am taking the August MCAT (my 2nd one). I took the April but completely froze on the test and ended up with a 26. I skipped 3 PS passages and 2 BIO. So, I am studying for the august mcat now.....on my AAMC tests before the April exam I was consistently scoring 29's.......I have heard though that the August is harder(curve wise).......Can any of you attest to that...or do I have just as good of a chance as scoring well on the August as I did on the april???

Thanks

It's a misconception, michmaki....I think it says that somewhere on the AAMC page. Anyway, you have just as good of a chance to score well on the August as you do on the April.