august MCAT too late for 2001 application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foolio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does taking the august MCAT significantly decrease ones chances of being accepted for the class entering in 2002? I am wondering if I wouldn't be better off just waiting until next year to apply, since I can't take the MCAT until august. Anyone take the MCAT for the first time in august and still get in?

Corey

Members don't see this ad.

There's argument on both sides of this issue.... I say, it's never too late to apply.

But here's an example, while my friends where waiting for their August MCAT's I was getting invites for interview.... Kind of a scary thought.... But I have heard of people taking August MCAT's and still getting in....

Personally, I don't think it's too late, but what the heck do I know....

Later.... :cool:

foolio.... WELCOME TO SDN!!! If I haven't already welcomed you....

Members don't see this ad :)
just to put in my two cents...I am taking the MCAT in August also. I guess it does put you a little behind of the game, but look at it this way-it won't hurt you to apply anyways. it can't hurt you, but rather make you a stronger applicant next time around. I say go for it. Good luck!

Nope, not too late at all if you get all your other application materials in early. I applied in June, but took the August MCAT....

applied to six schools, got secondaries from all, interviewed at 3 (accepted to all), withdrew interviews at 2, and rejected from 1.

P.S: My stats weren't that great either, so don't give up!

August is not too late to take the mcat. I took the last August test and am starting at AZCOM this fall. When you get to med school you will find quite a few people who also took the August test. One of the posters above was right about stating that the April test takers got interview invites first, but don't let that scare you. Adcoms know that alot of people are taking the August test, and don't fill up all of the class places with April test takers only. The most important thing to remember is: DON'T TAKE THE MCAT UNTIL YOU FEEL READY TO TAKE IT regardless of any other factor. Good luck.

My friend took it in August and got into UCLA. If your a solid applicant, you shouldn't have to worry as much. Scary though since you don't know what you will score on the MCAT.

As I understand it, it is somewhat mnore difficult to get in taking the late MCAT. But I know of several people who did so and got in...including myself.

:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your insight and encouragement. If my peers in osteopathy school are anywhere near as supportive as y'all are, it should be a great experience. ;)