August MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that taking the august mcat the year you are applying will delay your app and can hurt u, I am sure this is true, but how true is this? How much will this hurt your app? Also when can you actually submit ur app and when is the last day to submit your app, when do most people submit apps? THANKS.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the august MCAT and it did not affect me at all. I got into all the schools I applied to. You can submit your application any time after June 1st, and as soon as our MCAT score is submitted, then the AAMC/AACOMAS will submit your info to the schools you had chose. The schools will then send you secondaries. August MCAT precludes you from applying early decision. It delays the schools getting your applications by a couple months, but for me it was not a problem.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck

What did you score? Perhaps if your score was more marginal it would have hurt you. Just an idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
My score was good enough that I currently teach for a test prep company. I don't want to post my score publically, because my classmates are on SDN and I don't think everyone needs to know my stats. If you are truly that curious, you can PM me.

I didn't get a high score because I waited...that wasn't my intention. I needed to wait until August MCAT b/c I was in a post-bacc program and wanted to finish all my pre-reqs before taking the MCAT. I finished organic the in the summer so took the August MCAT.

Good luck to all

So if you get ur score back in october, does that mean your application is held back untill october?

Well, it's a little more complicated than some of the above posts suggest.

I submitted AMCAS in June and received 6 of 10 secondaries by the end of August. Those schools didn't do anything with the secondaries until they got my MCAT scores in late Oct. The other 4 secondaries showed up in late October.

At some schools (UAB, Colorado, Nebraska, Michigan State) this was not a problem; I got interviews and was done with them by early Feb.

At other schools (UVM, OHSU) I got late interviews (March).

At the "high-ranked" rolling schools (UCSF, USC, Stanford, Mayo), I felt I was very much behind the wave of earlier applicants. I still haven't heard from Stanford; withdrew after 3 months of waiting to hear from USC. I had a 39 on the MCAT, so I don't think my score was what held up my application.

It's a numbers game. You want to make your application as visible as possible. If you are applying to your state school (except CA) August is fine. If you are a stunning applicant August is fine. If you're applying to very competitive, rolling schools, I really think you need every advantage you can get.

Wow, a 39 thats dam good. I am sure u didn't have too many complications.