August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am trying to get some feedback. I am taking the aug mcat and applying to school for fall 05.
1. should i wait for my mcat scores to come back before i send in my application?
2. how much of a disadvantage am i at by take the aug mcat.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend who did the same thing. But he waited until he got his scores to send his AMCAS in late October I believe. He was completing his secondaries in November/December, and interviewing after Christmas. He didn't receive as many interviews as he should have (>3.5 gpa, >30 MCAT). In fact, a few schools told him that had he applied earlier, he would have most definitely received an interview.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I'm sure many people are very successful doing the August MCAT / fall application. Just letting you know what I witnessed firsthand.

I would advise against it. I have one advisor who told me that the main problem with people taking the August MCAT, and then applying, is that people WAIT to see their scores before they apply. If you think about the timing of everything, it puts you at a severe disadvantage. My opinion, get everything in EARLY. Ive heard from numerous people to get your isht in as early as possible. One person applied late, like you are suggesting, and got 2 interviews. The next year, they applied early, and got 12 interviews. However, i do think it depends on your credentials. If you are applying with very high mcats, and GPA, then schools might look at you regardless (i know someone like this). But, in the end, i think applying as early as possible is the best way to go.

i know this has been discussed in other threads, but for some reason, i can't find them...but how early is too early to submit the amcas? I know that it opens up in early june, but would submitting it the first day be any different than submitting it say in the middle of june?