August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorpurp

Reaction score
Is an August 3rd MCAT too late to apply this cycle? I have called medical schools and they say it isn't too late as the latest MCAT they will take is in September. I just want to hear feedback/advise from people who have experience with this. I have my primary app done and will need to apply this year with my FAP benefits. I will not be able to qualify next year.

Members don't see this ad.

The last MCAT date of the year is in September, so they will accept applications from September MCATS, but they fewer people that apply that late to med school. An August 3rd MCAT means you will get your score back September 5th. You will then have to get secondaries done quickly, it may take a month to write those (albeit, you can pre-write many of them), which means med schools won't start reviewing your application till October. Then who knows how long it will take for them to review your packet, as you could be added to a queue that is hundreds, possible thousands of applications long still. Unless you're a rockstar applicant, that seems late.

Reactions: 1 user
Is an August 3rd MCAT too late to apply this cycle? I have called medical schools and they say it isn't too late as the latest MCAT they will take is in September. I just want to hear feedback/advise from people who have experience with this. I have my primary app done and will need to apply this year with my FAP benefits. I will not be able to qualify next year.
Not too late for DO, just pushing the edge of late at some MD schools, depending on how soon they get started each cycle. The goal is to be complete at MD schools (app, secondaries, lors) by Labor Day.

I’m retaking the mcat 8/4, submitting to a throwaway school on 8/1 so I can get verified, and prewriting secondaries while I wait for mcat score. On 9/5 when my new score comes in, I’ll add all the schools I’m in the zone for, submit secondaries, and still be good. I do feel the need to point out that I’m applying only to my state MD and the rest DO, so ymmv.

Not too late for DO, just pushing the edge of late at some MD schools, depending on how soon they get started each cycle. The goal is to be complete at MD schools (app, secondaries, lors) by Labor Day.

I’m retaking the mcat 8/4, submitting to a throwaway school on 8/1 so I can get verified, and prewriting secondaries while I wait for mcat score. On 9/5 when my new score comes in, I’ll add all the schools I’m in the zone for, submit secondaries, and still be good. I do feel the need to point out that I’m applying only to my state MD and the rest DO, so ymmv.

I have a similar plan except I will be submitting my app after my MCAT on 8/4. Good luck!