Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

august mcat

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DOATC2B, May 26, 1999.

1. DOATC2B

DOATC2B Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm taking the august mcat and plan to apply to DO schools for admittance the following fall. am i at a disadvantage having not taken the april mcats considering the rolling admissions policy (and the fact that my scores will not be sent until late october?)

thanks (in advance) for any info.

2. DO DUDE

DO DUDE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I took the August MCAT last year and got 2 interviews and one acceptance. I think you will be at a disadvantage but not an insurmountable one. Everyone that has their scores already will have already been through several interviews before your scores even come back. It is really important to do everything in the application process as early as possible. I think the main reason I didn't get more interviews was not having my scores with my primary application. Worked out great in the end though, since I got in my first choice anyway. [​IMG]

3. KB

KB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Does an applicant basically have to walk on water to be considered if they apply late in the cycle? I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to applying after taking the August MCATs for those of us who aren't a ringer for med school. I wouldn't necessarily expect to get in my first time, especially applying late, but might it give me some experience to draw from for the next cycle? Or would the time be better spent studying for the MCAT in April and generally making the first attempt better and earlier for the next year?

[This message has been edited by KB (edited May 27, 1999).]

4. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

According to my information:
    The August MCAT was designed explicitly to give another chance to those people who didn't do as well on the April exam as they hoped. Why you waited till August is the mostly likely question you'd be asked. Have a good answer. Generally you would submit your April exams, check the "retaking MCAT" box and tell them at the interview that you "had a off day" or something. Be honest of course. The late app. thing is all about statistics. If you school had 100 spots and you apply early. You could be one of say 1000 that got there early competing for 100 spots. If however you are late and 70 spots have been filled, then you are one of 3000 competeing for 30 spots. Your odds just decreased 10 fold. If you are a solid applicant then you could get the spot with either set of odds. This isn't perfectly random so don't be too worried. Medical schools look at why your application showed up late. Make a note of it by phone or letter or on it if you can (personal comments).

5. NickCVM

NickCVM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The above posts have made great points. Let me add another. Do not spend thousands of $ applying to 40 schools - in late Aug. Apply only to the schools you really like and you think you have a faire shot at.
    --Nicolas--
    WesternU'03

6. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It is okay to send in your app early before you've taken the August MCAT. That way you can get the supplementals out of the way before your scores are back. Then your file will be ready to go as soon as the scores come in. Of course, if you are really unsure as to how you are going to do on the MCAT, you may want to wait. Just remember you won't get those scores until mid October.

Renee

7. DO DUDE

DO DUDE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I forgot to add in my original post that I sent in the primary application in June without having taken the MCAT. I started getting supplemental applications before my scores came back and I went ahead and completed them ASAP so that when my scores did arrive my file would then be complete. I had one school send me a rejection letter because they thought I wasn't going to take the MCAT!

Another thing to remember is that all of your letters of recommendation must be complete and in to the schools before you are considered. Don't procrastinate on this. My DO letter delayed some of my applications. You'll really have to keep on top of some of your recommenders (in a polite way). This is especially true if you're a nontraditional student without the benefit of a premedical committee letter and have to "scrounge" for them yourself.

8. Henry

Henry Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You have to make sure that all your documents are in file and just pending for the MCAT score. However, my experience is, taking the august MCAT does have some disadvantages. So good luck.

9. KB

KB Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

About those reference letters for nontrads...as I am going along the process, should I be getting letters from professors, volunteer coordinators, etc. that are generically addressed? Ones that say how great I am and how well I'll do in med school (hopefully) but aren't addressed to a specific school? Or do the schools expect each reference letter to be addressed to them? And dated within the last month or so?

10. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

About the letters. Most professors have a good idea how to write the letters already. If not they should address them to prospective schools in general. Second and most importantly sit down and have talks with them beforehand tell them about your reaons, motivations, and back up plans. Let them get to know you, it makes a better letter. Also feel free to give them a copy of your primary application and maybe a list of activities. Also don't be shy about NICELY hinting to them some things you want included in your letters. That is always helpful! [​IMG]

11. Michael

Michael Member
    10+ Year Member

Last year, I was told by someone at OSU-COM that if a person has taken the August MCAT, the school will wait to offer an interview until they have reviewed the test results. They also said to have everything else submitted as soon as possible so that when they receive the August MCAT scores they can move on your file. I took the August MCAT last year and got an interview in December and was accepted a short time later.

Good luck,
    Michael