August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

I was wondering what you all have heard or experienced about taking the August MCAT for the first time and applying right after I get my scores. Would I be too late or would this be OK to get into medical school?

Thanks

Nero

Members don't see this ad.

waiting to apply until AFTER you receive your scores is too late. i think you may not even receive your scores until after the AMCAS deadline. if you decide to take the august MCAT, you should submit your AMCAS app in the meantime and start working on secondaries from schools that send them without having seen your MCAT scores (i.e. schools that don't screen pre-secondary). then, when your scores arrive at med schools, they can review your app right then and there.

that said, taking the august MCAT does push your application back because even if a school sends you a secondary, they won't act on your app until they have your scores. however, people who have their scores ready (meaning, they took the april test or took it in previous years) will be reviewed right away. since admissions is rolling at most schools, it's to your advantage to have a complete app as early in the process as possible. i'd say it depends on how strong the rest of your app is. if you're a borderline applicant due to your GPA, then no, i wouldn't take the august MCAT. study hard for the april test (if this year isn't feasible, then wait until next year) and apply extremely early in next year's application cycle.

Thanks for the reply. Here's the situation, I will have 79 credits by the end of this semester, and will be taking 12 over the summer. My GPA is 3.95-4.00 range. I have research, volunteer, TA, President of Clubs, etc. Do you think I could still stand a chance, or just wait until April. Anybody else have an opinion?

Thanks

Nirav

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm still not clear on your situation...

i would recommend NOT taking the august MCAT unless there really is no way around it and you are completely against taking time off from college before going to med school. (i.e. you want to go directly)

i took the august MCAT and though this year, this was not a problem, it IS a small risk. small, but still. you want your application to be as sure as you can make it...

Well your GPA beats mine all to hell, and I've done pretty well this application cycle after taking the August MCAT. If you're confident you will have enough time to prepare for it this summer so that you'll do well on the test and you're not deadset on going to a top 10 school, then I think it's doable if you apply to enough apppropriate schools (i.e. include lots of middle, low, and safety schools, 'cuz you just don't know how you'll do on the test). But sandflea is right, you have to do everything as early as possible. Get your LOR's lined up this spring. Submit AMCAS on the first day. Send your transcripts to AMCAS simultaneously or even a few days earlier. Do secondaries as fast as you can get out a quality response. It is a slight risk, but there's lots you can do to minimize the risk. Oh, and it's essential that your Personal Statement and LOR's be superb. Good luck!! :)

Oh, and <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008219;p=" target="_blank">Jalbrekt's thread </a> for new applicants is essential reading.

Don't let anyone discourage you from taking the August MCAT and applying. Is it worth treading water for a year, just to wait for the April MCAT? No. People say it is a risk.... What are you going to do if you do poorly on the MCAT next April, not apply? No, either way you're going to take the MCAT and apply. So do it now, not next year.

And you should turn stuff in as early as you can, but don't let people scare you about turning stuff in "late."

vyc,

If i wait and apply for august 2004, i will have from may 2003 until august 2004 off. I really dont want to take that year and half off, I'd rather just start directly, and I am not thinking of going to a top ten. One more question for everybody, I will have 79 credits by the end of this semester, but will have the pre-reqs completed. After summer I will have 91, so is there going to be a problem with the number of credits, cause if I submit my application early, I will have 79 completed, and 12 in progress. Also, can anybody list any schools that have a high out of state acceptance rate?

Thanks

Nero

i would worry more about your in-state schools first before we make any recommendations about out of state schools. where are you from? meaning, in which state do you hold residency? those schools should be the first ones on your list.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nero:
• One more question for everybody, I will have 79 credits by the end of this semester, but will have the pre-reqs completed. After summer I will have 91, so is there going to be a problem with the number of credits, cause if I submit my application early, I will have 79 completed, and 12 in progress. Also, can anybody list any schools that have a high out of state acceptance rate?•••••I'm not certain about the credits question, but don't think it will be a problem as your enrollment should cover you. But don't quote me on this.

I don't think any state schools take a high number of out-of-staters. OHSU, Vermont, U. Michigan, and UVa are schools that I'm familiar with that take a respectable number of out-of-staters. I may be missing some, since I only applied to schools whose programs and locales I liked enough to go there. Take a look at the MSAR (Medical School Admission requirements), the Bible for med school applicants, available from AAMC. It gives you the numbers of in and out of state people applying, interviewing and matriculating.

sandflea,

I am a Florida resident, so I will be applying to at the very least UF, USF, UM, and FSU.

Thanks

Nero