August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittfan15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I'm new to SDN. I had a quick question regarding application timeline

I just took my MCAT and not feeling too confident about my scores. I'm just trying to plan for the worse so I want to register for the Aug 20 or 24th MCAT date. My question is is this too late to apply this cycle.

I'm going to have my AMCAS in by this week. and as for my stats--

cgpa: 3.65
sGPA: 3.55

coming from a top 15 undergrad
I have a lot of shadowing and clinical exposure
Involved in clinical research and public health research
have leadership with organizations around campus
substantial amount of volunteer hours.
great LORs

I dunno if the stats were needed, but just in case. What do you guys think- is Aug too late for an MCAT date, even if I submit everything before? Do I have a chance for this cycle?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

An MCAT score release date toward the end of September is late, and your application would be at some disadvantage, but it isn't impossible to get an acceptance that late in the cycle. If you score a 31, you might have a 15% decrease in chances for an interview offer for schools in your target range. With a 35, maybe only a 5% decrease. With a 29, maybe a 25% decrease. With safety schools, your chances would not be as compromised. (Numbers provided for illustrative purposes are my impression and not based on published statistics.)

To minimize the degree of lateness, it's a good idea to have submitted to AMCAS listing one school about 5 weeks before the score comes out to have a good chance of having completed verification. You can add additional schools once you know how competitive you are and the new schools will get your entire application within a day. While waiting for the score, you can begin to prewrite Secondary essays, so when you get a formal invitation, your turn-around time is only a few days.

Thanks so much Catalystik for your reply.

So you don't think I should submit my AMCAS to all my schools just yet? Wait for my July 8th scores to come back and then if retake is necessary wait until Aug scores come back?

Also, what schools do you think would be a "target" for me? I know you've been answering this question for so many other threads, but I would really like to get your perspective.

I'm a PA resident btw.

These were some of the schools that I was thinking about. I would love your two sense, however.

Georgetown
George Washington
U of Illinois- Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
SUNY Downstate
Penn State
Mt Sinai
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Virginia Tech Carlion
New York Medical College
Loyola Univ- Chicago
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tufts
Boston University

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you really don't know how you did on the July 8 test, unless you totally didn't finish some of the sections, you might give consideration to submitting now if you're ready, in case your score is a nice surprise on its release day in a month (it happens!). Being complete early in August isn't a disadvantage.

I'd need an MCAT score to give you a school list where I think you best chances are. Your list covers a broad spectrum of selectivity, including some fairly selective schools. I'd make different suggestions if you had a 28, or a 31, or a 35. If you want to give me your best guess based on multiple practice tests, that's fine. I'd want to know the years you've done research, strength of leadership, and hours of nonmedical volunteering.

I've been involved with 2 big research projects since my freshman year. I have a published abstract and poster presentation and on the verge of being an author on two full journal publications.

I've shadowed about 3 hours a week since my freshman year as well, including summers in which I'm home and shadow a physician.

I have a lot of non medical volunteering. About 3-5 hours a week starting from my freshman year.

I've held many board positions in 2 clubs that I'm very involved with. And this year I'm president of one of those clubs.

My MCAT practice ranged from 26-28. I'm hoping that my real mcat was around a 28 or so.

With this information, what schools do you think would be a target Catalystik?

Historically, a 3.65/28 had about a 50% chance of an acceptance. Your very-nice ECs will likely boost that some.

Some schools you could consider applying to might be any appropriate state or regional schools and:

GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, EVMS,
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),
Commonweath MC (PA).

These would be more of a reach, but I'd go for it.:
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, VCU, Virginia Tech Carilion (new), Hofstra (new).