August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EarthtoneJon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waiting to hear back from medical schools, but planning ahead in case I don't get in this time around. My current application is pretty good for the DO schools I am interested in (9/8/8, 3.98 GPA, well-rounded ECs), but it was submitted this past October, hurting my chances. If I don't get in, I obviously want to hop into the cycle in June 2012 and submit applications early.

I believe that, with my current MCAT score, some additional upper-level biology courses, and more shadowing / volunteering at hospitals, I would have a very good chance to get into DO schools if I submit my application in June.

So here is the problem. I also want to re-take my MCAT to give myself the best chance at both DO and MD. With a 30 or 32, I would be competitive at my state school and a few other MD programs I'm interested in. My question is this: is it OK to submit my applications in June, with the intention to take a late July or early August MCAT? Obviously, waiting for my scores would hold up the application. But I figure, I am really leaning toward DO anyway, and for DO schools, my score of 25 would still be visible. In other words, if the new MCAT score turns out awesome, it would be a perk, but not absolutely necessary to get into medical school.

I should also add that the first time I took the MCAT, I studied for less than 40 days, and underachieved. My Kaplan average was 30 (low of 28, high of 32) and my AAMC average was 28-29. With a few months of studying (I figure May to July) I am confident in a much improved score.

Sorry this is long, but I really wanted you guys to understand my circumstances. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say yes because you will make it past the initial numbers screening with your current GPA and MCAT. But why not retake it in April/May and have it ready when you app in June?

Thanks MedPR,

I am trying to be realistic, I guess. Studying for the MCAT while taking a bio course, physical chemistry II, another 400 level chemistry course, etc, doesn't seem like a good idea. I don't want to mess around with this MCAT anymore. Appreciate the feedback.