August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vashka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get my AMCAS verified prior to taking the Aug 10, 17 or 23rd exam, will I be too late to apply this year? Uggh I'm having major issues deciding whether to postpone my test date. I'm currently registered for the July 27th date but I'm just finishing up summer school in a few days. I have had basically no time to study in the past couple of months b/c of classes. I want a decent shot at acceptance but I'm only 1/3 way through content review...help!!

Members don't see this ad.

If I get my AMCAS verified prior to taking the Aug 10, 17 or 23rd exam, will I be too late to apply this year? Uggh I'm having major issues deciding whether to postpone my test date. I'm currently registered for the July 27th date but I'm just finishing up summer school in a few days. I have had basically no time to study in the past couple of months b/c of classes. I want a decent shot at acceptance but I'm only 1/3 way through content review...help!!

You've got plenty of time still around 4+ weeks. Crank it out and study 12 hours a day. If you really feel that unprepared changing it to Aug 10th isn't gonna do much. Aug 23rd is stretching it...you're hitting the end of Sep there which is pretty much the latest anyone can be complete this year (since a lot of schools don't take MCATs past Aug). Being complete Aug/Sept is much better than being complete Sep/Oct especially at schools that are very rolling admission based.

My only studying was about 4 weeks straight for the MCAT. Make up an organized plan right now for studying and stick to it. Conserve your practice tests but take as many as you can. My biggest advice is leave the AAMC practice tests until the end because they tend to be the most realistic. I think you can bust it out but you're the only one who really knows.

You've got plenty of time still around 4+ weeks. Crank it out and study 12 hours a day. If you really feel that unprepared changing it to Aug 10th isn't gonna do much. Aug 23rd is stretching it...you're hitting the end of Sep there which is pretty much the latest anyone can be complete this year (since a lot of schools don't take MCATs past Aug). Being complete Aug/Sept is much better than being complete Sep/Oct especially at schools that are very rolling admission based.

My only studying was about 4 weeks straight for the MCAT. Make up an organized plan right now for studying and stick to it. Conserve your practice tests but take as many as you can. My biggest advice is leave the AAMC practice tests until the end because they tend to be the most realistic. I think you can bust it out but you're the only one who really knows.

What was your study plan? I'm finding it hard to even conceive of stuffing the entire aamc outline into my head in 30days lol

What was your study plan? I'm finding it hard to even conceive of stuffing the entire aamc outline into my head in 30days lol

Ha I really don't remember now...it was a couple years ago. I just came off physics so that was still pretty fresh on my mind. I didn't hit orgo at all (seriously like nothing except basic concepts) because the straight orgo on the MCAT is fairly minimal. I basically just ran through the entire Kaplan review book taking notes for myself on stuff I know I forget all the time. Then I went through a Kaplan practice test (which are harder than the real thing imo), went back through the ones I got wrong and made sure I knew every single one of them. Then I did it again. And again. Until I was done with all the practice tests/questions except the AAMC tests.

You'll get a feel for what you know and what you don't know if you run through a lot of questions. You'll find out that you know basically everything in bio for instance but you're really weak on physics. You'll also see what questions the MCAT makers love (I think there was a battery question on almost every practice test in some variation and wouldn't you know...there was a battery question on my test). There's really no way to study for verbal anyway besides doing test questions although the Kaplan ones will annoy the crap out of you because they're so hard.