august MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShaunAbe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can taking the MCAT for the first time in AUgust significantly kill your chances for acceptance. I wanted to take it in April but my best friend's engagment is on the same day

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how you do. if you do well, doesn't hurt as much. if you mess it up, might as well not apply.

that is not true- check out the august mcaters thread- it will give you a much better outlook!
I was one, did ok (27) and am already in at one school, with 5 other interviews
check it out
biff

Members don't see this ad :)
its always better to take the april mcat! i did, but did not so great and had to take it over in august. maybe you want to give yourself another chance if you don't do your best. so far i had completed 1 interview and have 4 more...still waiting for a lot of schools though.

Taking the April MCAT is def. much much better than taking the August exam...it means a lot less worrying and questions as to where/when to apply when the AMCAS comes out in June/July and you will have a worry free summer (relatively). So, unless there is a really, really good reason to miss the April (lack of prep or something like that) I would try to not miss it. If its only your friends engagement I personally would not pass up the MCAT, but if it was the actually wedding I would (just my 2 cents)

That being said, I took the august MCAT, have had several interview requests (10+), and hold 2 acceptances as of dec. so, it is totally feasible to do it, but i still think it is much better to do the april test. also, there are a lot of schools i have not heard from, and there is no way I can tell if it is due to taking the april mcat.

Originally posted by FutureERDoc
That being said, I took the august MCAT, have had several interview requests (10+), and hold 2 acceptances as of dec. so, it is totally feasible to do it, but i still think it is much better to do the april test. also, there are a lot of schools i have not heard from, and there is no way I can tell if it is due to taking the april mcat.

thats impressive!

i'll echo the other posters, it's better to take the april if you can, but the august wont preclude you from applying or succeeding. if the august works out better, just study during the summer and do well.
however, make sure you submit your AMCAS ASAP! as in before you take the MCAT! you wont know your score, obviously, but you can always add schools after finding out.