August MCATers/07 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lals

Loner/Rebel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how many people on here are applying right after taking the recent test, and why. For myself, I began a Post-Bacc. program about 15 months ago, and wasn't able to complete my second course in BIO due to a schedueling conflict with Physics II until summer session I, where I took physiology at Stony Brook. I began my post-bacc. work immediately after completing a Master's in English and Creative Writing. My undergrad GPA is good but not great (3.5), but my post bacc. is solid (3.8). Just sweating out my MCAT scores now, and hoping to start studying medicine a year from now rather than more.

Members don't see this ad.

So am I the only one out of 100 to take the august MCAT and apply this year?

I took august and am applying this year

AMCAS and AACOMAS both verified, busy with secondaries for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wrote the august mcat and am applying now. it sucks, but there's nothing i can do about it so i figure there's no point in worrying.

I wrote the August MCAT and I am applying for 2007. I took it in August 2007 because I didn't want to take it during my finals in April. I know in the US, taking in August puts you behind, but fortunately in Canada, you could hand it on the last possible second and have the exact same chance as the same person who handed it in 5 mins after the application was available (if that's possible) you get the point.

Took august 2005 mcat and august 2006. Im having to reapply do to low scores on the first mcat. AMCAS and TMDSAS applications will be submitted tomorrow. Im late getting it in...but hopefully it will not hurt my chances

Just took August MCAT, it was my first time taking the MCAT. I am applying for '07, have AMCAS and TMDSAS verified and am working on secondaries right now and have a couple submitted. I took August MCAT because I transferred from a community college, but I wanted to get as much prereq's done at a 4 year university so I couldn't take Phys II and Organic Chem II until last spring semester. I didn't want to study for the MCAT's and still be taking prereq's so I decided to wait until August.

Took August MCAT for my first. Sumbitted AMCAS on Friday. I will add more schools to my application when scores come out. I'll start working on secondary essays soon I suppose.

I decided to take the August MCAT instead of the April one even though I'm applying for 2007, mainly due to a very challenging organic chemistry II class. Well, I got an A in the class through tremendous effort, and now I hope it was worth it because that August test was a complete killer (what good is an A in orgo II, when my MCAT scores might suck?). :scared:

I'm a non-trad applicant, by the way. I just finished my post-bacc program (35 credits) in the spring, submitted my primary (AMCAS) application around July 1, and received a whole slough of secondaries. I had already turned in three already by the time of the MCAT. Now, even though I feel that I didn't do well on it at all, I still plan on going forward. I feel scared that I messed up my solid post-bacc performance in only 9.5 hours, but I'll wait until October to see (at which time I hope to see that my performance was much better than I thought). I'm feeling some hesitancy towards filling out the rest of my secondaries, however, without knowing how I scored. But I'm ready to forge ahead regardless.

I'm in the same situation as spicedmanna (didn't take it in April because taking bio, physics, and organic all at the same time left me no time to prepare) except that I didn't submit AMCAS until the first week in August so I'm not verified yet. I, too, feel like I might not have done as well on the MCAT as I had been hoping, but feel I have no choice but to forge ahead for this year.

I would have assumed almost everyone taking it this August was applying now--I had no idea it was common to take it in August then wait until next year to apply.

I'm in the same situation as spicedmanna, except that I didn't submit AMCAS until the first week in August so I'm not verified yet. I, too, feel like I might not have done as well on the MCAT as I had been hoping, but feel I have no choice but to forge ahead for this year.

I would have assumed almost everyone taking it this August was applying now--I had no idea it was common to take it in August then wait until next year to apply.

A lot of people take it in August and wait a year so that they won't have to balance class loads and MCAT studying.

I was not aware that you can add more schools after the primary AMCAS application has been submitted. Do they allow you to make these changes online?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was not aware that you can add more schools after the primary AMCAS application has been submitted. Do they allow you to make these changes online?

Yea, just go to the schools list and click "add." You can do it during the verification process and after you've already applied to some schools in case you want to do more. You can't remove any, though. Once you pay for that, it's done.

So far I've only put 1 down in case my MCAT score is terrible and I don't apply this cycle. I just want to get verified ASAP with as little money spent.

Yea, just go to the schools list and click "add." You can do it during the verification process and after you've already applied to some schools in case you want to do more. You can't remove any, though. Once you pay for that, it's done.

So far I've only put 1 down in case my MCAT score is terrible and I don't apply this cycle. I just want to get verified ASAP with as little money spent.

good plan williams. I am a post bac and applying for 2007 and just took the mcat. I have about 10 schools and might add more depending on the mcat score. Of course, it could be a disaster in which case i will have wasted a lot of money. This is the worst part about applying the same year as taking the august mcat. I am praying for a decent score. I also dont want to mess up flawless post bac work (4.0 in all requirements) with one test.

Hey Williams...I was thinking to do the same thing. When our scores come in October and if we decide to apply to other schools, is the primary application sent to each of the other schools right away, since AAMCAS will already be verified? Thanks guys and good luck.

Hey Williams...I was thinking to do the same thing. When our scores come in October and if we decide to apply to other schools, is the primary application sent to each of the other schools right away, since AAMCAS will already be verified? Thanks guys and good luck.

I'm not sure how long it takes for a school to get your primary. From what I've seen in the pre-allo forum, people usually get a "flood" of secondaries the day of or after they get verified. Not sure how. Maybe some schools send out a secondary regardless (to get money) or others have a computer program to give out based on GPA and MCAT (screeners), not sure, sorry. I'm not too worried, though, about how long it takes to hear back.

Great idea! I think I may join you in this. I just met with a guy from Emory's SOM, and he was telling me to submit AMCAS asap because the verification process takes so long. This seems like a sound alternative. However, I hope it doesn't take AMCAS a long time to send your file to any add-ons. Anyone know the timeline for this process?

I don't have an MCAT score yet, and even though I know I screwed up big time I am going to apply. My PS has to be done by this Friday to give to my premed committee, so I will probably finalize AMCAS by next weekend.

Great idea! I think I may join you in this. I just met with a guy from Emory's SOM, and he was telling me to submit AMCAS asap because the verification process takes so long. This seems like a sound alternative. However, I hope it doesn't take AMCAS a long time to send your file to any add-ons. Anyone know the timeline for this process?

I submitted my AMCAS with just 1 school this past Friday. I called them up and they told me usually 6 weeks (which is still before MCAT scores released), but right now they appear to be taking only 4 weeks according to them. Of course this is assuming you have your transcripts already in and everything. I have to call them again on Monday because my transcript that they have, which was received this past Wednesday, hasn't been scanned and uploaded yet. I need to make sure they have to right one and everything in case I have to resend (takes weeks).

Other than that, it shouldn't take too long if you have everything done. Make sure you have your LOR ready, too, I suppose.

I submitted my AMCAS with just 1 school this past Friday. I called them up and they told me usually 6 weeks (which is still before MCAT scores released), but right now they appear to be taking only 4 weeks according to them. Of course this is assuming you have your transcripts already in and everything. I have to call them again on Monday because my transcript that they have, which was received this past Wednesday, hasn't been scanned and uploaded yet. I need to make sure they have to right one and everything in case I have to resend (takes weeks).

Other than that, it shouldn't take too long if you have everything done. Make sure you have your LOR ready, too, I suppose.

So, for those of you who are going to add a number of schools if you are happy enough with your MCAT score, are you going to prepare the secondaries for these schools before October? I was thinking to write up the secondaries for a good number of the schools before October. This way I would be able to send them in right away, depending on the MCAT of course. My friend who has already applied and sent her app. to alot of same schools that I will be applying to is giving me heads up on the secondary essays. And if I'm really bummed with the MCAT, then there will be nothing to send I guess. But I'm thinking it's best to be prepared.

So, for those of you who are going to add a number of schools if you are happy enough with your MCAT score, are you going to prepare the secondaries for these schools before October? I was thinking to write up the secondaries for a good number of the schools before October. This way I would be able to send them in right away, depending on the MCAT of course. My friend who has already applied and sent her app. to alot of same schools that I will be applying to is giving me heads up on the secondary essays. And if I'm really bummed with the MCAT, then there will be nothing to send I guess. But I'm thinking it's best to be prepared.

I already have a certain number of schools I'm 99% sure I will apply to no matter what score it turns out I have (I don't think I did THAT bad). Plus, they're all in-state where my odds are the best. I will work on those secondaries in the coming weeks. The ones I haven't decided at all are all out of state and really depend on my MCAT. I will probably work on a couple of those, but not all since my score. Here's a link Durden put up with secondaries: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4059332&postcount=269

I already have a certain number of schools I'm 99% sure I will apply to no matter what score it turns out I have (I don't think I did THAT bad). Plus, they're all in-state where my odds are the best. I will work on those secondaries in the coming weeks. The ones I haven't decided at all are all out of state and really depend on my MCAT. I will probably work on a couple of those, but not all since my score. Here's a link Durden put up with secondaries: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4059332&postcount=269

Thanks. Yeah, I'm also planning to apply pretty much under all conditions and definitely to the state schools. The only thing I am really worried about is Verbal but who knows. I have a list of out of state schools but will only really decide which ones to apply to after the MCAT.

I'm not sure how long it takes for a school to get your primary. From what I've seen in the pre-allo forum, people usually get a "flood" of secondaries the day of or after they get verified. Not sure how. Maybe some schools send out a secondary regardless (to get money) or others have a computer program to give out based on GPA and MCAT (screeners), not sure, sorry. I'm not too worried, though, about how long it takes to hear back.

Just to add to this, also be sure to check the school's website. Some schools, ie SUNY downstate and Tulane have already posted pdf files of their secondaries. You don't have to wait to hear back from them to fill them out. In fact, Tulane has a section where they ask applicants to proceed after filling out the primary and before they've received any emails regarding receipt of their primary application.

Just to add to this, also be sure to check the school's website. Some schools, ie SUNY downstate and Tulane have already posted pdf files of their secondaries. You don't have to wait to hear back from them to fill them out. In fact, Tulane has a section where they ask applicants to proceed after filling out the primary and before they've received any emails regarding receipt of their primary application.

I just got an e-mail from the Univ of South FL (only school I put down on list) today. I sent in my AMCAS on Friday and was a bit surprised to see I got an e-mail from them saying I can request a secondary since I took the August MCAT. I'm not even verified yet. :thumbup: (6 more weeks probably)

I'm in the position of playing the waiting game right now. It sucks, but I'm finishing up Marshall, OSU, and Cincy. Still waiting to hear from Louisville though.

Yea, just go to the schools list and click "add." You can do it during the verification process and after you've already applied to some schools in case you want to do more.QUOTE]

I thought it said on AMCAS that once you submit to any school, that if you want to add more schools you have to re-enter your whole application again?

But what if scores come out after some school's deadlines; example october 15th app deadline, score release october 19th, what then?:rolleyes:

I took the august MCAT and applying in this year. Turned in the primary application and waiting for the secondaries.

Hey I have a question. I took the april exam and did horrible (low 20's). I retook the test in August and feel much better about it this time. I am wondering when I should send in my AMCAS application. I don't want them to see the April score and just throw my application out without waiting for my August score. I put that I took the August exam, will they wait for my score before throwing out my application? Please help.
:oops:

I don't want them to see the April score and just throw my application out without waiting for my August score.

All your MCAT scores stay on your record. If you didn't void, it's graded and stays on the record for all schools to see that you applied to.

All your MCAT scores stay on your record. If you didn't void, it's graded and stays on the record for all schools to see that you applied to.

Curious, but do schools know you attempted the MCAT if you voided? It seems like with the new 22+ session MCATs for 2007, there's a lot of incentive to void if felt to have done poorly, and simply reattempt 2 months later.

Curious, but do schools know you attempted the MCAT if you voided? It seems like with the new 22+ session MCATs for 2007, there's a lot of incentive to void if felt to have done poorly, and simply reattempt 2 months later.

They won't see anything about a void. If you void, it's like it never happened.

Ya I understand that they will see the first score still but I want them to see my second (hopefully much better) score or atleast hold my application until my other score comes in.

Ya I understand that they will see the first score still but I want them to see my second (hopefully much better) score or atleast hold my application until my other score comes in.

If you marked down "I will be taking the August MCAT" in AMCAS, they will know that and wait for it.

i wrote the august mcat and am applying now. it sucks, but there's nothing i can do about it so i figure there's no point in worrying.

Hey, I took the August MCAT and am not yet finished with my primary---I'm planning on submitting next week. Have you gotten all of you LORs ready?

Actually, I heard that it still counts as a sitting. Obviously, it won't be scored, but there's still a record of your attendance. It used to be that a void would count toward your "3 strikes" before you need a note to retake.

Same boat here.

I know I should get started on my AMCAS. I'm sooo behind, but I'm working on a great Personal Statement.

Best luck to everyone.

Yeah, don't wait around... my primary application took a full 6 weeks to get verified!!! It just went through today!

-P23

Add me to the boat! I took the MCAT for the first time this August and I'm applying right now also. I submitted my AMCAS the weekend before since I was waiting on a summer grade and I got verified earlier this month (took 3 weeks and six days from AMCAS receiving my transcripts to getting verified). So now I'm just really hoping that I haven't wasted thousands of dollars by applying this cycle with an unknown MCAT...ack 18 more days! :luck: :luck: :luck:

To answer the OP's question about why, while I could have just taken the MCAT and waited for my score to apply (or taken it and applied to only a few schools like I was planning originally in case the scores suck), I wanted to go ahead and give it my best shot the first time around re: applications in the hope that if I applied widely enough I'd get in the first time. Plus, since I'm just in a postbac and working full-time, I'd really like to continue on with my dream instead of waiting around for another year. We'll see though...

When people say we're getting scores on the 14th is that online or by mail? And where was this verified?

Oh yeah, I'm applying although I haven't submitted any secondaries. My earliest deadlines are Nov.15th, so I'm okay. I should at least get out the ones that don't have essays though. I'm just strapped for cash.

You can also add me to the team. I submitted my app on 7/6, turned in 5 secondaries and now I am just waiting to get those darn scores back. I decided to apply because I really want to go to Howard and some of the students on the adcom said I should apply. Also my advisor said that I would have a pretty good chance of getting in this round. So I figured I would put my trust in the LORD and let him bring me thru. :D

nice to hear all the stories and advice. unfortunately i'm still waiting to get verified due to the mishandling of some transcripts, but hopefully i will be by the time the scores are released. thus far, i've received four secondaries and completed all but one since it asks me to report my mcat score for some reason. at any rate, i'm fairly certain they won't get looked at until i get my score anyhow. best of luck everyone.

I took the August 06 MCAT and also applying this year. Just curious, are you guys sending in the secondaries ASAP even before knowing what your score is?

I took the August 06 MCAT and also applying this year. Just curious, are you guys sending in the secondaries ASAP even before knowing what your score is?

Yep. I've sent in each secondary within a week of receiving it. I'm waiting to submit my final one depending on my MCAT score though. It really stinks not knowing if I did the right thing by applying blindly or if I've wasted thousands of dollars all depending on what shows up on THX in 16 days!