August MCATers - List your progress here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i think we can encourage and help each other if we list what we're doing and how much progree we have made so far.

So far I'm finishing up on subject tests in part I of the sections (Kaplan is divided into three parts: Bio 1, Physics 1, Bio ii, Physics II, Bio III, Phsyics III, etc), and doing topicals. Since my class is about finished with the third part next week I might take 2-3 hardcore days and go over the Kaplan High yield guide. I usually end the day studying 30-50 mins of verbal.

So far I study 4-5 hours a day outside of class. I could hike it up but am a bit worried about over doing it. I really need a great score, like everyone else, and reading the 30+ thread I might do that. I look forward to seeing how you guys are setting up your schedule. Are you studying all at the center? That has what worked for me.

And just a couple of general questions:
Anyone watching the videos they make available? How good are those? Better than the classes?

What snack foods do you eat, especially while you're studying?

How do you guys stay motivated?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in middle of the fifth lectures for all subjects in the examkrackers set. I do about 1 hour of verbal practice every other day, and i feel like i'm moving along at a decent pace, though i'm going to have to speed it up soon, so i can have 2 weeks of just doing MCAT practice exams.

All basic reviewing is done. I am currently doing mainly practice tests. I then go over all my answers and take notes on any topics/subjects which I missed or need to improve on. I then review some more for the next 3 days and take another practice test. I am also doing 4 passages of verbal a night and my study food is hot pockets and chocolate milk, oh yea and blue mountain blast powerade lol

my class is almost done with the 2nd lectures for kaplan, we have 1 more day Chem II, ive been doing topicals, and some subject tests. Some of them ask questions from parts we havent covered like the physics 3 lecture. I only do some subject tests, i dont know if there really that helpful.
My first full length is the 5th so we'll see if my technique is working or not.
Im getting around 3-4 hours a day. My topical scores are horrible 60% or around there, and havent gone up.

Members don't see this ad :)
My motivation kicked in when i got back my mcat scores on the 15th. I study about 4-5 hours a day. Im using Examkrackers and im in the middle of week three of the 10 week study schedule. I have the 101 passages in verbal and bio and the 1001 questions in physics. I should be getting the 16 mini tests in the mail any day. Sometimes i read lectures from tpr and do some of the passages. I dont take days off like the schedule says so i can have about 10 days before the exam to do practice tests.

(basically just like abe) My first practice test is the fourth so ill guage how the studies have been going based on the results.

My study foods are carrots and a bag of chips or a chocolate bar.

It sounds like you guys are ahead of me.

I'm taking TPR and I'm all caught up with the homework and everything as far as the class goes. I only study probably... 2-3 hours per day outside of class.

I bought EK Verbal 101 and I am about to start at those, doing maybe 10 a day. I was wondering, when I do them should I do 1, look at the answers and see how they got them, and then move on? Or should I do the 10 as if it were a real MCAT and then go and look at the answers?

I'm thinking the former because if I do them all and then look at the answers I might not know what I was thinking for a particular problem, and remember few of the details of the passages. But, I can see how the latter would be more 'MCAT like'...

I don't go to the Kaplan classes any more. But at this point in the class, they are about to finish the 2nd section of subjects. For me right now, I'm actually just reading through the review notes, taking the online class, and doing topical, AAMC, and subject tests. Even though I'm just about to finish Biology 1, I feel like I've accomplished more than my classmates who are so dwarfed with just trying to do everything in the Kaplan Previews that they don't have time to finish all the topical, AAMC, and subject tests. I probably won't get through all the section two subjectsd before its time to take my first full length on the 5th, but we'll see how that goes.

This is my second week of TPR class and the schedule is weird; so far only one G-Chem lectuer and 3 Phys lectures..... anyway, I do all the hw and read the chapter outside of class. I guess you could say a total of 4.5 - 5 hours of MCAT prep per day including the 2.5 hours of class time daily. I really want to do more, but taking 9 hours in summer school and working 2 hours a day is taxing..... maybe I should take off of work and study MCAT? what you guys think?

Anyway, I was really disppointed with my first diag scores last week: 6 BS, 3 PS, 3 VR. I have a long ways to go for the 30 + mark..... say prayers for me as I will for all of you!

AggieJohn said:
I bought EK Verbal 101 and I am about to start at those, doing maybe 10 a day. I was wondering, when I do them should I do 1, look at the answers and see how they got them, and then move on? Or should I do the 10 as if it were a real MCAT and then go and look at the answers?

By 101 passages, they mean 11 full length verbal tests. I go about doing a test every 5 or 6 days.

I started reviewing the theory already. From next week, I will start doing all the Kaplan topical tests, then Physical science and Biological science tests. From last week of July, I will start doing the Kaplan 11 full lengths. I am studying myslef, not going to the Kaplan class. While doing the tests, I will try to review the theory everyday so that I don't forget the material. :)

I've got all the books, but I have yet to crack them open. I begin July 1, 50 days of studying before the MCAT. Anyone else not yet started?

Howdy,

I am self-studying with Kaplan Comprehensive Review. I am reading through the chapters and taking thorough notes (that's how I learn stuff best). I have finished all of Physics and General Chemistry. I am about a quarter done with Organic and Biology. I plan on finishing them by the end of next week.

I have purchased the 1001 Examkrackers sets for all the subjects and have started those for General Chemistry, Physics, and Organic.

I plan on doing the AAMC, Kaplan, PR practice MCATs and EK Mini MCATs periodically and then increasing the frequency towards the end.

My progress is OK but I wish it would go a bit faster cause I want to start hitting some of the practice MCAT stuff ASAP.

Man does anyone else feel like they havent truly gained solid ground???
Any suggestions???

anybody has Kaplan study schedule? how do you guys know how to study using topicals, subtests, and more? :D

finished basic review. Now doing topicals. Having some problems in chemistry I hope to iron out otherwise I am pleased with my progress.

Members don't see this ad :)
most of y'all are in better shape than i am. i've only covered ek's biology 1&2, phyics 1&2, and chemistry 1. i pretty much started this week after putting off studying for a while. i've taken 5 full verbal sections, and have been getting anywhere from 65-80% right...i've got a lot to work on. i managed to get an 11 on the aamc 3r, but i went about 10 min. over the time limit =\

i'll be followin' the ek study plan, except i won't be taking any breaks during the weekends, and i'll be skipping the verbal days as i've already read through their strategy.

here's my plan: do a chapter a day, do a full length verbal test a day (tbr, kaplan, ek verbal 101), and i should be done reviewing in a few weeks. i'll be done with all my full length verbals too. then i'll have roughly 4 weeks to practice with full lengths...i have 24 full lengths (tbr, tpr, kaplan, ek, and aamc) :eek: i'll have enough to do one a day, but that may burn me out..we'll see :D

good luck everybody! it's time to kick it into high gear!

I've went the self-study route.

I started studying mid-June. Finished reviewing the Kaplan Comprehensive Review in a couple weeks (yesterday actually!) sans the VR and Essay stuff.

I started practice tests today. How did people find 5R? I found it pretty easy, actually (haven't touched the VR though).

Personally, I'm worried about the VR and Writing. I'm hoping to get started on that ASAP.

My studying time hasn't been great. It's been about 3 hours/day, but I have all the material fresh in my head, since I took organic and human physiology last term, among others. Will be doing 10 hours/day from today.

ive been using the kaplan comprehensive review book as well. ive been reading the chapters and outlining them. i plan on finishing tomorrow, and from then practicing with subject and discrete tests. Next saturday is my first full length since i started studying too :eek:

down to the last chapter each EK physics, orgo, gen chem, and bio. after that plan to do 1001 and kap topicals during the week (i work full time) and then full lengths on the weekends. hopefully 5 weeks of testing will be enough to figure out my weak spots and hone in on those.

a bit nervous though, sometimes when i'm studying after work i'm so tired, after i've studied for hours at the library and i'm headed home, i try to review in my head what i just studied, and it's blank!

trying not to get nervous by still taking a little time every other day to excercise or read something fun. and coffee coffee coffee. :luck:

I'm studying alone this time around, no prep course, no study buddies like I had in April (that was super-distracting...very bad idea to study with friends). This is what I'm doing:

1. I actually went through the trouble (not that much trouble) of making my own study schedule on the computer, in calendar form. I am using the EK material but didn't have access to their 10-week study schedule, so I made my own. I gave myself 9 weeks starting the week after I got my MCAT scores in June (I needed those first few days after June 15th to stop freaking out and build up motivation :laugh: ). This scehdule is really keeping me on track, guys. In the spring, I didn't follow the TPR HW schedule to the T because my class load was heavy, but now I know how imporant it is to plan your course of action. SO, I'm trying to finish all the review within the next 2 weeks, which gives me 5 weeks for practicing. I plan on taking a practice MCAT every 3-4 days but we'll see if that's a good idea :rolleyes: I have about a billion full-lengths.

2. While I review, I do the end-of-chapter questions in the EK books. (I haven't gotten my "1001 Questions In..." books yet but I will soon). From there I figure out which topics I missed the most questions in for each subject, and add them to a list. This way, I can later review those weak topics in depth specifically instead of trying to review every little thing all over again.

These may be really obvious, basic things every MCAT studyer should do, but the point is to stick with the plan. That way, you know what you gotta do, you know how you gotta do it, so DO IT! ;)

Good luck, people! :luck: :thumbup:

Im improving in PS, BS and apparently me no speak english good, because verbal wont get past 9...

challie- My original plan was also to take a full length every 3-4 days. I am currently taking a full length every weekend and wow thats exhausting! I guess its time to step it up though!

I'm working my way through the readings, and am also trying to work on verbal. I should be done with chemistry, physics, and bio by the end of this week. (i had a good organic course, so i feel confident with that) I've given myself two weeks to complete Princeton's science and verbal workbook. Then I plan on doing full length's everyday for 1 week. Hopefully things go ok after taht week, and i'll see what my progress is. I'll then work my way through all of kaplans topicals, and section tests. I'm satisfied with my progress, but i definetily need to kick myself to work harder! Keep motivated everyone, all the hard work is a small price to pay for the reward of a good score! Best of luck to all of you.

Wow, my brain would definitly shut down after that week. If im feel ambitious this week I will get two full lengths done, but doing 7! :eek:

Those that are using princeton review course books...or class...what is your progress with the books?..any suggestions using those books?

I'm mastering each subject one by one.. for some reason i can't do bio and then jump to chemistry then jump back so i just try to read all the material for one subject so its a continuation.. then go to the next subject...at the end of each subject I do a LOT of practice problems..
Right now I am ending up G.Chem and Started O.Chem..havn't touched bio or physics that much yet.. and im practicing verbal....am i behind?!?!?! im starting to freak out..

any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am averaging 10-12 right now in the aamc practice tests for PS and BS but that damned verbal.. Two of the guys I study with are from different countries(pakistan and India) and english is their second language, i really feel bad for them.

75% finished the TPR Science Workbook.

Completed 4 out of the 11 EK101 Verbal Exams.

Done 2 Full-Lenghts (AAMC3R and Kaplan FL#1).

I feel as if I'm getting somewhere, but the amount of work left to do is enormous considering there's only about 6 weeks left! I still plan on doing:

-TPR Verbal Workbook
-the rest of the EK101 Verbal
-All Kaplan Topicals (I probably won't bother with the Subject Tests)
-All Kaplan Sectionals
-EK 1001 Physics + Gen Chem (I sorta regret buying these. I've done some of each and the questions are a bit too easy. Might not complete them.)
-~20 Practice Tests, which include (Kaplan FL's 2-11, TPR A-D, AAMC 4-8)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

May seem a bit extreme, but I'm shooting for 35+ this time. (vs. my measly 25Q from last year :oops: )

Good luck everyone

Feeling kind of swamped at my desk with all five EK review books and all the 1001/101 books, as well as the TPR books. I don't think I'm ever going to get through them all. My weaknesses are in the sciences, got 8's on the April exam in BS and PS. I"m not practicing writing at all, have gotten two R's on that section, and pulled a 9 in verbal, but could stand to pull that one up. I've been doing the EK 101 verbal and have gotten 8,8, 9, and 9 so far on the first four sections. From what I've heard you can increase these a point or two to be true to the actual test.

I've looked over the EK 1001 Chem questions, and they start off easy, anyway. My guess is that they get harder as you go along, but I haven't really looked ahead. I'm getting in at least 2 hours of studying a day, with about half of that review and half doing questions. Sometimes I'll do 2 2-hour sessions a day.

It'll be over before we know it! good luck to all of you out there studying! We're gonna make it!

I'm getting between 2-4 hrs of work/day done. No prep course. EK the material of choice. Much less than I hoped for, but there is just so much you can do. I'm mostly doing practice problems and a practice exam a week. I'm about to go through the AAMC exam line-up and hopefully they will bring me more confidence.

This summer is going by way too fast. I wish I wouldn't let stupid stuff consume me.

SensesFail said:
I feel as if I'm getting somewhere, but the amount of work left to do is enormous considering there's only about 6 weeks left! I still plan on doing:

-TPR Verbal Workbook
-the rest of the EK101 Verbal
-All Kaplan Topicals (I probably won't bother with the Subject Tests)
-All Kaplan Sectionals
-EK 1001 Physics + Gen Chem (I sorta regret buying these. I've done some of each and the questions are a bit too easy. Might not complete them.)
-~20 Practice Tests, which include (Kaplan FL's 2-11, TPR A-D, AAMC 4-8)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :eek:

I don't think Popeye on cystal meth could handle all that in a 6 week period. Make sure you don't burn yourself out bro. G' Luck.

Will Ferrell said:
I'm getting between 2-4 hrs of work/day done. No prep course. EK the material of choice. Much less than I hoped for, but there is just so much you can do. I'm mostly doing practice problems and a practice exam a week. I'm about to go through the AAMC exam line-up and hopefully they will bring me more confidence.

This summer is going by way too fast. I wish I wouldn't let stupid stuff consume me.
Quit your job if possible. I had a really good thing going at Bennigans, but I realized that at the rate I was going, I wouldn't be to score the score I wanted and make money. So I chose the MCAT score, and even though I have to depend on my parents for everything (and i truly, truly, truly, truly hate that), its worth it. Rather than make $3,000 this summer and possibly get a 28 on your MCAT, quit your job, be broke for a little, score a 35, get a scholarship, and save about $150,000 in med school debt. I konw it doesn't always work out like that, but its worth a try.

I'm just finished the first two parts of the kaplan program (online) and will take my first practice test this week. I've also downloaded 3R from the online mcat website, and I took the mact online 3R test to work this past week, and will finish up the last section tonight to see how I do.

I'm studying 3 to 4 hours a day using kaplan and eager to see if its made any difference.

Its good to see that everyones working so hard for the exam.

Hey I need more MCAT full lengths. Right now I have the Kaplan ones and AAMC 4. I can buy the other AAMC exams but does anyone know where I can get other types of full length MCATs? How about the princeton review ones or EC? Are they any good? Thanks

My preparation has really sucked eggs lately. I completed one full week of fairly intense studying, but since then I haven't accomplished much of anything else. I'm cracking down this week and getting with the program. Good luck to all!

I was wondering if I should pay $80 for the AAMC membership to get exams 3, 4, 5, and 6. Will I be able to print those exams using pdf and do they come with solutions or not? thanks again

gujuDoc said:
When you pay for the AAMC tests, the tests are in pdf format but the solutions are not. They do this to ensure that no one can rip them off and what not. If you use internet explorer there is no way to cut and paste the solutions. Solutions are not printable either.

However, if you use mozilla firefox you are able to cut and paste them and then convert them into a pdf format for later use.

That said........

Why don't you just drop me a pm and I'll give it for free.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It will save you a good deal of money. Plus I'll give you 7 and 8 with solutions too.

The only drawback of getting it from me is that you have to realize my solutions for AAMC 4R are for the original AAMC 4 which has the verbal answers first and then the physical sci and biological sci. Plus verbal had 5 additional questions in the original AAMC 4, so the question numbers are slightly off.

I got them from someone who had the solutions at TPR centers, since TPR buys the tests and creates contracts with AAMC to get hold of all of their tests. Kaplan does this too. Like I said, drop a pm to me if you don't want to spend precious $$$$ where it isn't required.

Hey Guju, any chance i can take you up on this offer as well?

I'm half way through my EK review books in all subjects, reading over them twice. I'm working on my TPR Science workbook, got a ways to go, attempting to finish it all but i doubt it. I'm doing 3-4 verbal tests a week through EK 101 passages which I believe is very helpful, still stuck around a 7-8 range, hopefully get that baby up into 9-10 area in a few weeks.

I have a lot left in the bio section, I just dont know how detailed to know this stuff, I got the big picture down and some big concepts.

Do you guys know how detailed we should commit to the Bio section?
TPR gets pretty damn detailed in its review and I just seem like its not efficient to spend time reading it all and memorizing such detail, but this is my first time, any suggestions?

im not really worried about the details especially in kaplan's book, aamc old tests didnt seem to be either, but who knows.
I dont feel like im progressing at all in verbal, i was hitting 10s 11s last year, now im stuck at 8s on ek 101, i just dont get it, maybe i forgot how to read.

Yea, I noticed that TPR bio is wayyyy too detailed so I just listen to audio osmosis and study the main points from TPR. Hopefully that will be good enough. I just don't have that much time, so hopefully practice material from trp and kaplan will be sufficient.

Anyone taken Kaplan Full length 6 yet? I'm taking the Kaplan course and I know that we'll be doing Full Lengths 1-5 in class so I did 6 yesterday. Haven't covered all the material yet. Just wanted to see where I stand from my diagnostic. Had a 29..... much work needed but I'm seeing some improvement.

Good luck to everyone else!

I'm using mostly EK material. I already went through EK's books 2 times and some parts 3-4 times. I found optics, electrochemistry, and solution chemistry to be my weaknesses for now. So I spent all week going over EK on those chapter again, reading my zumdahl chemistry textbook for relevant material, and used the Chemistry Questions thread on SDN.

I actually have a good handle on those topics now so I plan to start working on the TPR science workbook and EK 1001 bio questions now. I need to work on circuits tomorrow morning.

I plan to keep reading EK on the train until I have it memorized cold. I'm commuting about 3+ hours/day on the train mon-fri so I feel forced to study during that time now.

If you get jammed up on your basic review keep moving and come back to it later and supplement your studying with other sources and make some note cards.

Abe said:
im not really worried about the details especially in kaplan's book, aamc old tests didnt seem to be either, but who knows.
I dont feel like im progressing at all in verbal, i was hitting 10s 11s last year, now im stuck at 8s on ek 101, i just dont get it, maybe i forgot how to read.

naw Abe you dont have to worry abouit it too much, just keep on practicing. EK verbal passages are SUPPOSED to be harder than typical MCAT reading passages. Keep on going to the verbal section tests and you'll see improvement. Read up on the technique they talk about and the other techniques out there and try them and see how they work for you. This is by far the most tricky section!

I was just taking some Kaplan topical tests, and was wondering, is there a score conversion chart for these? I know this question must have been asked a billion times already somewhere on this forum, but I just can't seem to find the answer. Or, the patience to look for the answer, more like... :p I just drank this chocolate tea stuff that my mom gave me and i swear, a spoonful of this baby must be like 98% caffeine because I've got a MAJOR case of the jitters. I cannot sit still! :laugh: I took a topical test after drinking a cup and I raced through it so fast I can't even remember the questions! Strangely, I didn't do so bad...hey, maybe chocolate tea has more powers than I think... ;) just kidding

Anyways, if anyone happens to know about the score conversion for the topical tests, thanks in advance!

i need to study im getting so lazy rite now.... i have all the matiral the world can need but im not putting the rite amount of time into it......so if one of my SND'ers can give me a slap or a lecture plz do cuz ill really appricate it ....much love ppls