August MCATS- Is it harder/decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noory86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,
I plan on taking the August MCATs however I am truly confused If I should or not. I'd like everyone to give me some advice on the following. Thanks so much :)
1. Is is true that that august mcats are harder. Is the curve really different?
2. If I hand in all my required forms/apps/essays/reccs/transcripts- will I still be placed at a disadvantage without the MCAT scores?
3. Can you please please refer me to books that CLOSELY simulate the MCAT sections. I need the best practice possible bc I plan on doing all my preparation on my own! Physics, Chemistry and VR are of utmost concern but do please also include information about the other three sections (writing, bio, orgo). I know it sounds pretty obnoxious when these premies say they want 35+ but I really need this for med schools to look at my app. I know I have the personality and drive but unfortunately these schools look at numbers first! So I'd love honest/good advice.

Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear All,
I plan on taking the August MCATs however I am truly confused If I should or not. I'd like everyone to give me some advice on the following. Thanks so much :)
1. Is is true that that august mcats are harder. Is the curve really different?
2. If I hand in all my required forms/apps/essays/reccs/transcripts- will I still be placed at a disadvantage without the MCAT scores?
3. Can you please please refer me to books that CLOSELY simulate the MCAT sections. I need the best practice possible bc I plan on doing all my preparation on my own! Physics, Chemistry and VR are of utmost concern but do please also include information about the other three sections (writing, bio, orgo). I know it sounds pretty obnoxious when these premies say they want 35+ but I really need this for med schools to look at my app. I know I have the personality and drive but unfortunately these schools look at numbers first! So I'd love honest/good advice.

Thank you again!
I have heard mixed reviews, I hear that august and september tests actually have a harder curve because everyone had all summer to prepare, and ive heard others say it really doesnt matter.

For me, I scored 3 or 4 points lower then my practice ones, and I took it Sept 8th, but im just an N of 1

2) slightly
3) search function please

It has been reported that your test is curved against people in the past who have received "similar" test items. While this may be true to a certain extent, you can hedge your bets on the fact that the easiest way to construct a curve is to simply compare results from everyone taking the same exact test.

For instance, how are you going to compare verbal performances with "similar" items in the past. The only way they can do this meaningfully is to give test passages (which they might do). Even still, curving the test with people taking it on the same day as you is incredibly helpful.

You might think that it's better to take the test in April/May when people had less time to prepare (vs. summer). However, if YOU are one of those people who had less time to prepare because of classes, other things related to spring, etc., then you will be in the same boat as everyone else.

It has been reported that your test is curved against people in the past who have received "similar" test items. While this may be true to a certain extent, you can hedge your bets on the fact that the easiest way to construct a curve is to simply compare results from everyone taking the same exact test.

For instance, how are you going to compare verbal performances with "similar" items in the past. The only way they can do this meaningfully is to give test passages (which they might do). Even still, curving the test with people taking it on the same day as you is incredibly helpful.

You might think that it's better to take the test in April/May when people had less time to prepare (vs. summer). However, if YOU are one of those people who had less time to prepare because of classes, other things related to spring, etc., then you will be in the same boat as everyone else.
to add to this, if you dont have a significant amount of time to prepare over summer, then it might hurt you with a "supposed" harder curve.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol 2 things... if there supposedly was an "easier" test date:

1) everyone would take it then
2) anyone who knew wouldn't tell you

the test favors those who are prepared...

But unfortunately, I would agree that they're not as standardized as they can be.. due to the crazy number of test dates

you hear stories of people going from a 30 to a 38 in 2 weeks.... take it whenever you want.. if it's not the "version for you"... retake again