August MCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlscientist

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the midst of a very confusing time. I was hoping to take the April MCAT but I am also trying to finish up with college by taking five difficult classes that will ensure my graduation in june.(its important that I graduate, financial reasons)I don't think I can do well on the MCAT in april so I'm considering taking the august MCAT. Will this be too late to apply this year? I'd appreciate any advice about taking the august MCAT and the possible effect it can have on my applying this year. Please respond if you can. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a really tough schedule when I took the MCAT in April as well, so I certainly feel your pain. I often wonder if I would have done better had I waited (I didn't do as well as the practice tests, but I still got a 30Q, so I'm not complaining).

Still, I really think you should do everything that you can to take it in April. I don't have any statistics, but mix my experience with a little home-spun logic and you'll see why I feel this way.

My reasons:

1) Yes, MCAT falls right about the same time as finals and that makes things more stressful and exhausting than they would otherwise be, but man, doing it all forces a tremendous amount of discipline. I found that it was stressful, but I was as sharp as a tack! Don't fool yourself, you will just get flabby over the summer.

2) Think about the math. My first-choice school had 105 spots. I got my interview invitation the first week of September, and interviewed Sep. 26. I was one of the first 15 interviewed (except for any EDP). We were looked at first and there were quite a few vacancies. My acceptance letter was dated October 7. I took that spot BEFORE August MCAT scores were even released. It seems to me that Adcoms might be a bit more stingy about the last 15 spots than they are for the first 15. I know that the process is supposed to be fair and unbiased, but put yourself in their position. I think there is a reasonably significant advantage.

3. If you choke, you can retake in August and still apply this cycle no further behind (except the 100 or so dollars for the extra MCAT) than you would have been anyway.

Like I said, no statistics, just my opinion.