Aus-med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSCDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any Canadian here who's familiar with the australian universities' interview process.. the kind of questions they ask, the kind of stuff you are expected to bring to the interview etc etc.. if there's someone who's gone through the process successfully please pm me about the interviewS.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

Have you got an interview yet?

strange question -- how would canadians know more about the interviews than, say, americans?

Members don't see this ad :)
The interviews here are very structured. Two interviewers, pre-set questions. I came here to interview at UQ, USyd and Flinders a couple of years ago. I don't remember bringing anything to the interviews themselves except my letter of invitation, an ID and my suit. The format will be similar whether you're interviewed in Oz or in Canada, but I don't know how they might modify things for phone interviews (never did one).

UQ (still) does a bit more outright 'testing' than the others, like picking from a list of technical terms and explaining two to a non-tech person. They also have a number of positions that you're to choose from and 'argue' for one (testing your ability to advocate and persuade without being a jerk, listening skills, respecting others' opinions when the interviewers play good cop bad cop, etc...i argued that the UN was an anachronism, to show that as an American I could do this without being boorish). They'll also tell you a story, w/ third person versions of the events, then ask you to paraphrase it. They're looking for comprehension and objectivity, e.g., saying "John thinks that Sara cheated in the game..." rather than "Sara cheated in the game", stuff like that. Oh yeah, my year they asked what the challenges were in aboriginal health -- just think Native American health (obesity, diabetes, alcoholism, domestic abuse, the socioeconomic/cultural issues, yada yada).

Sydney was more rapid fire of more standard questions, with few follow-up questions -- what are the biggest challenges to medicine, what is the place for alternative med, what's your biggest strength and weakness, how do you plan to pay for med and what do you plan to do after graduating.

Flinders was the most laid back and personable, an actual conversation with the interviewers. Not that it was any less structured though! It started with being given a scenario (pre-written) that you're to think about for 10 minutes, then use the whiteboard to explain. That was an excellent 'test' I think, and along with the homeyness made it the most fun interview I've ever had, ever (it helped that we were joking around for much of the 90 minutes).

In general, all are looking for thoughtfulness (showing you've thought about your career choice and what you're getting into), ability to listen w/ out interrupting and to explain/paraphrase/communicate effectively, respect others' views, etc. They have score sheets for assessing you on such traits! One tip: where appropriate (on the 'tests', such as when defining the technical terms), use examples or analogies.

Here's a site that has others' interview experiences at several of the grad schools:
http://gmp.steinerfamily.com/

-pitman

Thanks for the elaborate response pitman. I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on the Flinders interview. What other attributes would you say were particular to their interview and also the problem they gave you did it test your problem based learning technique? Did Dr. Edwards ask you anything in particular about research or biochemistry (b/c that's his field)?
Thanks

MSCDOC said:
Thanks for the elaborate response pitman. I was wondering if you could elaborate a little on the Flinders interview. What other attributes would you say were particular to their interview and also the problem they gave you did it test your problem based learning technique? Did Dr. Edwards ask you anything in particular about research or biochemistry (b/c that's his field)?
Thanks

I don't recall being *asked* about research or biochem (the latter didn't even come up), but we did discuss my research experience ;) I also submitted a supplemental transcript showing that I aced an endocrinology course recently (had graduated from uni years before, so used that to show that I was still capable). It's up to you to bring up your strengths -- if they ask you how important it is to be able to work in a group as a doc, then you might use management experience or past research collaboration as an example, etc.

The whiteboard scenario combined a lot of skills I think they were assessing. It was certainly reflective of how you might go about comprehending new material and further explaining it to your PBL group (or future peers or underlings!) -- being able to interpret a written scenario, draw a representation of it on the board, explain your representation/view, respond to questions + interact with the 'group'...certainly doesn't hurt to be amusing or otherwise entertaining! They asked questions that tested whether you could come up with alternative explanations (analog: can you do a differential diagnosis), for me it was to explain why profit decreased for a petrol station owner when she went away on holidays (e.g., her daughter embezzled $, the recent rains affected traffic from the uranium mine, the American navy was blockading Australian uranium exports to Iraq...the more plausible explanations you can come up with, the better, particularly if they include something they hadn't heard before!); then after some additional info was given, was asked which explanations were *most* plausible.

-pitman

Thanks for the response Pitman. It does clarify alot of aspects. I was also however wondering if they ask questions pertaining to the australian health care system, so whether I need to prepare for questions regarding public/private health care in aus, ethical issues handled in aus etc etc.

I'd just go in knowing the universal issues. They can't really penalize you for not knowing their system in particular (my interviewers even suggested a comparison b/w N. Americans when I started to sweat w/ the aboriginal health question), but maybe do a smidgeon on their Medicare and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme just in case.

It may very well be that unless you do your interview in Oz (i.e., get the same format as domestics), you won't get any questions about Oz health.