AUSSIE grading???!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Oooookay. Could somebody please explain to me the grading scale/conversions used by ACER to convert grades to the aussie system?

1) Melbourne and Flinders, probably my top two, seem to be on slightly different scales. Does this mean that I have to do this twice?

2) Most US transcripts do not come with numerical grades. How am I supposed to match my letter grade to a numerical grade? If their grading scale is 80-100 is an A, but in the US an 80-90 is a B, does that mean I get A level credit?

3) I do not get to include my 1st year scores?

4) I went on junior year abroad where my grades from Ireland do not count towards my degree, even though I am marked. Which set of marks do i use for that year - my transcript gpa which remained the same as my sophomore year, or the marks which i received from trinity?

5) scheize.

Members don't see this ad.

Check with the schools to see if they REQUIRE you to translate the grades. When I applied (admittedly several years ago) I was told not to bother but to simply submit my US transcripts and they would do the calculations for me.

Sheesh... :wink:

It hasn't changed. Just submit your transcript and they'll do it. If you are curious, then download the application file in pdf format from <a href="http://www.acer.edu" target="_blank">www.acer.edu</a> and they have a conversion scale including for letter grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, here is the full website:
<a href="http://www.acer.edu.au/unitest/gradentrymedd/pdf/GPA_Calculation.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.acer.edu.au/unitest/gradentrymedd/pdf/GPA_Calculation.pdf</a>

That should help!

For Flinders click this link, <a href="http://som.flinders.edu.au/HTML/COURSES/GEMP/GEMPtext/application.pdf" target="_blank">http://som.flinders.edu.au/HTML/COURSES/GEMP/GEMPtext/application.pdf</a> fill out the form, have AMCAS forward your MCAT score, have your uni forward your transcript.
For the other schools, click this link: <a href="http://www.acer.edu.au/unitest/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.acer.edu.au/unitest/index.html</a> The form is not available until May, but when it is, print it, fill it out, send it to ACER, have AMCAS forward your MCAT score directly to ACER and your uni must send a transcript to ACER. You can choose 1 school, and 1 alternate from either U fo Melboure, U of Sydney or U of Queensland. Applying to Australia is probably the easiest app process around, so don't worry! If you have done the MCAT, and have decent grades, ask Jillian Teubner to consider you for the early decision program, although, I think that has passed, so decisions for all schools will be made between Aug and Nov.
Good luck

You can also apply to Flinders via ACER. there's a choice of four schools, you indicate your top two preferences.

You can visit the school's websites by just typing their names into a search engine. Univ. of Melbourne is <a href="http://www.unimelb.edu.au," target="_blank">www.unimelb.edu.au,</a> i think Univ. of Sydney is <a href="http://www.usyd.edu.au." target="_blank">www.usyd.edu.au.</a> But ACER is the central place you get the applications and brochure form from, although they don't open until May. Do they generally open May 1st? Also, does your university HAVE to forward your transcript, or can you obtain it yourself and send it with your application form? I had a bad experience with the registrar sending my transcript to the Irish program, and do not trust them to handle anything. I think they must be the rudest, stupidest people on earth.

CSand1, I don't know about Flinders, but apply to one that has a higher acceptance rate of international students. I believe the two that accept the most international students are Univ. of Queensland and Univ. of Sydney. Good luck, no harm in trying! Maybe also send in a cv or something so they get to know a bit more about you and your qualities.

The timing issue is really giving me a bind with the irish schools. Since my first choice is Trinity, my parents are thinking of just paying the $3000 deposit even if I eventually go to Australia. I still hopefully might have an RCSI interview, but I think my parents want to feel secure that my future plans are solid.

Since ACER sends your app to only your first choice, and then to your second choice only after you've been rejected, it makes more sense to apply to Flinders independently, since they are the one school that allows it. UofS takes most internationals - 40, then Flinders - 30, UQ - 20, UofM - 10. I've been in Australia 3 months now, and though KC may take me up on this, I haven't heard many good things about the City of Adelaide! Some Flinders posters might want to give their opinion.

I am a first year at Flinders in Adelaide. I turned down Sydney and a private MD program in US (did not get in-state) mainly for cost. It is very cheap to live in Adelaide compared to Sydney and yes, there is a reason. Sydney is a huge wonderful megapolis not altogether different than London, New York, Tokyo, etc in terms of cost, amenities, etc. I found the program at Flinders better because of the proximity of clinical schools (right down the hall from the lecture halls is a huge public hospital where we are encouraged to see patients whenever possible). The program is a mix of lab, lecture and PBL. Adelaide itself is very pleasant. Clean, white, safe, pleasant. Cafes, movies, beach, wine, restaraunts, and an awesome public market/asian market. I suppose the down side is that with the exception of the city center, EVERYTHING is closed on weekends and after five. I think for younger students especially Adelaide would be a bit of a bore. However, it is unbelievably cheap and Flinders rocks!

okay, another q, and I've heard varying things.

What is the reception of Americans and Asians in Australia? I know there are many of both there, but I mean the nitty gritty "reality" stuff. Is there just general joking, or are there real anti-American or anti-Asian sentiments? Not that any of it would deter me since it happens in the US too, but I was just wondering.

About grades: Kaby Herry from Acer tells me that anything about a 75% grade average meets the requirements. That's a 3.00 out of 4.00, so I think pretty much American applicants should be fine.

What exactly made you choose where you're attending? Melbourne is my absolute first choice, but chances of acceptance are a little slim since they only accept 10 international students. So I'm trying to decide a 2nd choice. Flinders has a great name, but I'm not really a small/quiet town girl. USyd sounds good, but that's a bit too busy and maybe expensive, although cost isn't really a factor. (Melbourne happens to be right in the middle). Brisbane sounds awesome, and all my friends who've been there and visited Univ of Queensland have loved it, although I know nothing about it.

In answer to the anti-asian, anti-american sentiments..I would assume that given the proximity of Asia to Australia, there would be less discrimination towards Asian. I'm only assuming, and never have lived in Australia. But, my family is Vietnamese, and some of them have lived in both the US and Australia. They say Australia is better. I don't know in what way specifically, but I think it just may be a general vibe down there. Then again, environments are different around this country, so I'm sure that no one can really generalize an entire country.

But, I'm sure Australia will be far better than where I live now (B-Lo in NY) :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rsk77:
•Since ACER sends your app to only your first choice, and then to your second choice only after you've been rejected, it makes more sense to apply to Flinders independently, since they are the one school that allows it. UofS takes most internationals - 40, then Flinders - 30, UQ - 20, UofM - 10. I've been in Australia 3 months now, and though KC may take me up on this, I haven't heard many good things about the City of Adelaide! Some Flinders posters might want to give their opinion.•••••Well I will defend Adelaide to a certain degree. I does NOT have the charm or cosmopolitan ways of Sydney or Melbourne but it is hardly a backwater. Adelaide has more restaurants and cafes per person that any other Australian city, it has lots of lovely cathedrals and turn of the century architecture downtown (they call it the City of Cathedrals/Churches) and the local sports scene is really happening. Te beach is less than 5 miles from campus (viewable from campus) and there are hills right outside of campus.

What are you looking for in a city where you'll be attending medical school? I found Adelaide quite livable and despite the restricted shopping hours (which was my major complaint) which I learned to adjust to, would choose to live there again. I could not have had the quality of living in Sydney or Melbourne for the same amount of money, and found everything I needed close by in Adelaide. I'm sure I would have loved to have lived in Sydney or Melbourne, but I honestly think Adelaide is a viable choice - it no more sucks as a city than does Cleveland, Baltimore or Jacksonville (just to name a few) - they aren't San Francisco or NYC, but they certainly have things to offer. Maybe I'm just older than the average student and I really don't need happening night clubs to make me happy - give me a nice movie theatre (the largest one in the Southern Hemisphere exists in Adelaide), a nice grocery store, lots of ethnic restaurants and a nice beach nearby and I'm happy.

Just my two cents...

What do you nee

I'm not sure, but I'm also interested b/c I've got a JYA affadavit attached to my transcript, and I'm wondering if they're going to figure it into my grades, since I they didn't count towards my degree.

As far as MCAT scores, I'd say if you got a 30 or above, list it and then have a side note saying that you're going to retake it. (Why?). The minimum cutoff for the aussie schools seems to be a 24, an 8 8 8 M.

Hmm, I'd say send it but add a note that you will retake it in August and that you will forward the new scores. However, I dunno how much that delays things...they take august scores but they also let people know of acceptance in October, so I don't know how that works out. Better send it anyway. Or actually, if you email your school of interest and tell them your stats, they can tell you your likelihood of receiving an interview. When mentioning grades, tell them you have a 3 out of a 4.0 grading scale, which should meet their 75% requirement.

You're August MCAT scores will be too late for Flinders. They'll fill up their quota by then, so will Melbourne. You may have a chance with UQ or Sydney. I applied with August scores and it didn't help things. Just go with what you have as long as the 26 includes at least 8's in all sections.