Aussie MBBS in US academic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engPhD09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how successful Aussie MBBS's have been in US academic medicine (both clinicians with very clinicial research and those with more basic science). Are there any out there?

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

We hear a lot on these forums about Australian faculty members at top-class US institutions. Keep in mind that the Aussie MBBS is literally equivalent to our MD... if you do the MBBS degree there and then get accredited to practice in the US, you'll be entitled to use the "MD" title.

Thanks for the thoughts on that. I've heard good arguments about the Australian MBBS (and working in academic biomedical engineering respect it equally myself), but I hear others make comments that the MBBS will still be just another IMG. It seems to me that there's a lot better opportunities at Sydney, Queensland, Melbourne, Adelaide, etc. for solid research on the side and other pursuits compared to the Carribean (and from a research perspective, many US schools).

I feel the same way, which is why I'm planning on going to Australia instead of the Caribbean. As long as you go to an English-speaking research university and you already have a US citizenship, you're not just "another IMG". People actually overestimate the IMG disadvantage... the residency director at my university (U of Missouri), for instance, told me that they really don't care where a person went to med school as long as they did well on the boards. They give preference to people who have rec letters from Univ. of MO professors, but that's it... it doesn't matter if you went to U. of Illinois or U. of Gujarat.

Of course, that's just one person's experience... it could always be wrong.